Sex with robots 'not far away'

Chumly

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 02:36 am
Quote:
HUMANS will be marrying and having sex with robots by 2050, an artificial intelligence researcher has claimed.

Netherlands university student David Levy, who recently completed his PhD on the subject of human-robot relationships, told LiveScience that robots would become so human-like in appearance, function and personality that many people would fall in love with them, have sex with them and even marry them.

"At first, sex with robots might be considered geeky, but once you have a story like 'I had sex with a robot and it was great!' appear in a magazine like Cosmo, I'd expect many people to jump on the bandwagon," he said.

In his thesis "Intimate Relationships with Artificial Partners", Mr Levy argued that psychologists have identified roughly a dozen basic reasons why people fall in love, and almost all of them could apply to human-robot relationships.

"For instance, one thing that prompts people to fall in love are similarities in personality and knowledge, and all of this is programmable," Mr Levy said.

"Another reason people are more likely to fall in love is if they know the other person likes them, and that's programmable too."

Mr Levy said Massachusetts would be the first jurisdiction to legalise human-robot marriage.

"Massachusetts is more liberal than most other jurisdictions in the United States and has been at the forefront of same-sex marriage," Mr Levy said.

"There's also a lot of high-tech research there."

Although roboticist Ronald Arkin at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta didn't think human-robot marriages would be legal anywhere by 2050, he said "anything's possible".

"Just because it's not legal doesn't mean people won't try it," he told LiveScience.

"Humans are very unusual creatures.

"If you ask me if every human will want to marry a robot, my answer is probably not. But will there be a subset of people? There are people ready right now to marry sex toys."
http://www.topix.com/forum/tech/TAUOSIC7EHDQJ4AQG/p15
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,777 • Replies: 28
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 03:27 am
If you had met my first wife, you would know that sex with robots was already here!

Seriously, though, I doubt very much what this guy says. Also I think there are language issues that need resolving, including what the phrase "have sex with" means. I would suggest that you can only have sex with another human being, since the word "with" implies a shared experience. Robots and computers do not have mental contents, as Professor Searle has noted.

What I mean language-wise, is that those sad men who are often said, these days, to "have sex with" rubber dolls, or various kinds of artificial vagina, anus or mechanical sucking mouth, or holes in planks of wood, are, in fact, indulging in masturbation.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 03:33 am
Helen O'Loy
December 1938
Lester del Rey

A robot repairman and a medical doctor modify a robot to give her the capability to learn and to develop emotions and self-awareness. Then she falls in love with one of her creators.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/42613/Del-Rey_-Lester---Helen-OLoy
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 03:36 am
contrex,
You'd best review the Turing Test as per some of your subjective claims!

I also question, to some reasonable extent, your overly rigid (pun) definition of both "with" and "masturbation", neither of which are anywhere near as clear cut as you would make them out to be.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 04:15 am
Chumly wrote:
overly rigid (pun)

Very good.

Quote:
definition of both "with" and "masturbation", neither of which are anywhere near as clear cut as you would make them out to be.

Well, I like to think of sex as an emotional as well as a physical thing. When newspapers, magazines, etc, refer coyly to men "having sex with" animals or inanimate objects, they generally mean that the men have thrust their penises into some kind of aperture, cavity or orifice and proceeded to masturbate to a climax. Both sexes can indulge in frottage. I daresay that an encounter with a prostitute would be as unfeeling and joyless. I don't know if you could say that women "have sex with" dildos or vibrators or their fingers.

Regarding the meaning of "masturbation", I assert that you can say that some episodes of "sex" definitely count as masturbation using another person's body. In short, it's all in the mind.

By the way, is this professor guy saying that men and women are equally likely to marry robots & "have sex" with them?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 04:42 am
Well, at times, I thought there was something mechanical in my movements... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 04:53 am
Francis wrote:
Well, at times, I thought there was something mechanical in my movements... Twisted Evil

I learned this c.1964:

There was a young fellow from Cheam
Who invented a wanking machine
On the ninety-ninth stroke
The bloody thing broke
And whipped his bollocks to cream

And then there's the Engineer's Song...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 05:02 am
contrex wrote:

And then there's the Engineer's Song...

Now shes dead and long forgotten
we'll dig her up and pat her bottom

A hum, a hum, ahum ahum ahum.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 09:05 am
Nerds everywhere are biking to Target to buy a nice button down shirt in anticipation of the occasion, forty years away or not.

"Humans are very unusual creatures." FAR OUT, Dr. Spock!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 09:12 am
I think think topic needs to be moved into the Ports of Entry thread....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:20 am
I can't wait for the day I have to resort to slipping a robot date rape drugs.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:25 am
Yeah, I can't wait until a robot punches me in the balls and calls me "queer" in front of her laughing robot friends.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:34 am
Time to rent Sleeper. Remember the orgasmatron?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:44 am
Why are there no A2K women on this thread? Are we men the only ones aroused by the thought of having our way with a bucket of bolts?

Surely one of the women on this site is intrigued by the thought of robot sex.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:45 am
So is this it? Have we discovered the Holy Grail of threads? Where women fear to tread?

Oh....my.....friggin.....lord!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:49 am
Not afeared, gus. Lost in thought. Musings. Just when things start to get interesting, I'll be dead.

C'est la vie.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:54 am
Non, ce n'est pas la vie, c'est la mort.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 11:01 am
Exactement.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 11:34 am
Et la vie, c'est une chienne..
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 11:44 am
Francis wrote:
Et la vie, c'est une chienne..

Et puis on meurt ... J'ai grosse envie de baiser un appareil méchanique, et toi ?
0 Replies