The Holographic Principle; look for the teapot

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:40 am
Cross your eyes to find the teapot:

http://www.dna.caltech.edu/~winfree/old_html/Images/shrunkpot2.gif

The Holographic Principle
Image Credit & Copyright: E. Winfree, K. Fleischer, A. Barr et al. (Caltech)

Explanation: Is this picture worth a thousand words? According to the Holographic Principle, the most information you can get from this image is about 3 x 1065 bits for a normal sized computer monitor. The Holographic Principle, yet unproven, states that there is a maximum amount of information content held by regions adjacent to any surface. Therefore, counter-intuitively, the information content inside a room depends not on the volume of the room but on the area of the bounding walls.

The principle derives from the idea that the Planck length, the length scale where quantum mechanics begins to dominate classical gravity, is one side of an area that can hold only about one bit of information. The limit was first postulated by physicist Gerard 't Hooft in 1993. It can arise from generalizations from seemingly distant speculation that the information held by a black hole is determined not by its enclosed volume but by the surface area of its event horizon.

The term "holographic" arises from a hologram analogy where three-dimension images are created by projecting light though a flat screen.

Beware, other people looking at the above image may not claim to see 3 x 1065 bits -- they might claim to see a teapot.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,578 • Replies: 29
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 12:41 pm
Re: The Holographic Principle; look for the teapot
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Beware, other people looking at the above image may not claim to see 3 x 1065 bits -- they might claim to see a teapot.

Well, they don't really see a teapot. They only see a teapot because they know what a teapot is. All they really see is an object. But they only see an object because they know what an object is. All they really see is a three dimensional image on their retina. But they only know what three dimensions are because they have experienced it.

Any additional information contained in the holographic image is derived from creative associations in an environmentally trained brain.

Does the image in a hologram contain more data than is contained in a page of written text?

I'm not sure what this article is trying to say.
0 Replies

seniorita92

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 02:44 pm
You shouldn't have written that some people see a teapot at the very beginning Razz Having read that, I was trying very hard to see a teapot when I realised that...everyone could see something different. It's like.. if you said 'cross your eyes to see a cat' many of those who claimed they saw a teapot would most likely see a cat instead..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 03:33 pm
No you wouldnt', you would see a teapot.

it isn't a matter of interpretation, it's your eyes adjusting to see the image.

Did you, in fact see any image?
0 Replies

Wucadlak

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 05:56 pm
I see it. Its a teapot with a handle on each side.

U wanna try to get the depth of the picture. U will see several layers behind eachother. Displaying a teapot.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 05:58 pm
very close, there's a handle on the left side, and a spout on the right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:15 pm
Easy to see. There is a table top also.
0 Replies

Wucadlak

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:16 pm
I remember when these pictures came in stores. I had great fun. Now days they can hardly be found.

What are these pictures called? Would like to see more of em.

Thx in advance Razz
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:33 pm
There isn't just a handle on the left side and a spout on the right and standing on a table. There's a fired painting on the face facing the cameraman and it's a picture of a rural cottage with wispy smoke coming out of the chimney and twining roses all around the door which is open and a young milkmaid is inviting the viewer inside with a toned down leer.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:52 pm
I can't see it either, spendius.

And, I'm not sure what the article is attempting to convey either, ros.

Dayum.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:53 pm
I thought it was just me. Crossing my eyes makes me feel ill -- maybe that's the problem.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:43 pm
It takes a little patience at first, but once you have the hang of it, it's easy to do.

Lean forward until you are about a foot from the screen, then cross your eyes, but don't really force them, let them cross slightly and just let yourself loose focus.

At first, you may only get a seconds glimpse of "something" you might startle yourself and completely loose the picture. Just try again. Don't make it a chore, relax with it.

After a while, you'll see depth develope in the picture, then you can slowly lean back to a comfortable position and "look around at the picture"

If you shift your head back and forth, it's like you can see the inside of the teapot, looking up into the spout from the inside, and also you can look at the top of the teapot and see the indentation where the knob of the lid is.

The originals from the 80's and 90's were called Magic Eye.

Here's the WEBSITE

Here's an easy one to get you started if your having trouble.

All it is is a bunch of circles, like pieces of candy....just simple holes with depth.

I found on google images. just googled magic eye and a bunch come up

http://www.soon.org.uk/humor/candy.jpg
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:49 pm
Hey-ey-ey!

That worked Chai!

I'll go back to the teapot tomorrow.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:55 pm
kinda freaky when you first see it, huh?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:00 pm
Yes! Neat.

I'm too pissed off at the teapot to try again just yet though I have high hopes for tomorrow. Laughing
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:11 pm
Arrgghh...feel massive headache starting...maybe I need my eyes checked?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:02 am
Success!

Way cool.

Tai Chi, I had to get in very close (inches) to the screen to start. I didn't cross my eyes at all, but I definately let them go blurry, unfocused. I had to slowly bob in and out from the screen until it popped into view. Chai's exactly right...be patient!

Try the smarties one again. There are 11 distinct smarty blobs that will seem to float above a solid background of smarties.

It took two or three times of finding the teapot before I actually sat back and took it all in...the tabletop, the slanted backdrop. The teapot appears to float.

I took my glasses off the first few times, so I doubt you need your eyes checked!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:07 am
I used to be able to do these no problem. But I can't see **** now. Mad
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:24 am
I got it!

Whoo hoo!!

The more tired your eyes get, the easier it gets to see, I think.

Except I can't see this one.....

http://www.magiceye.com/client/images/ford_s.jpg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:27 am
Here's a good one....this one pops out at your rather than is a indentation....

tell me what this one is joblowhttp://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cmoore/bunnyX.jpg
0 Replies