So Brilliant And Yet ..... So Simple

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:55 am
Every now and then, you see someone come up with an idea that is just so brilliant and yet .... so simple. And you wonder why you never thought of that or somebody somewhere didn't think of that a long time ago.

Like when the Post Office came out with self-adhesive stamps. Whoever thought of that should've gotten a big promotion. Such a brilliant idea, and yet so simple -- obvious even -- why didn't someone think of that ten years before?

I used to work with a woman named Teresa. We used to call her Moter Teresa because she was so helpful and nice. One day we got a pretty bad ice storm, and I -- like everyone else -- had a hella time trying to get the frickin ice off my car.

I finally arrived at work -- late -- because of the time it took me to clean that crap off my car. I was complaining about my how my hands got all scratched up from chipping away at the ice, when Teresa took me aside.

She explained that all you have to do is get a large garbage bag (you know, one of those big green ones) and cut it down one side. Then you spread it over your windshield. You place each end of it inside your car door (so the door closes on it) to hold it in place. The ice will collect on the garbage bag.

The next morning, all you have to do is peel the bag off your windshield --and the ice comes off right along with it! (You can also tuck your windshield wipers under the bag, so they don't get caked in ice.)

Ahh, so brilliant...... and yet......so simple! Why didn't I think of that before?

I have another co-worker who has to do a lot of filing in her job. She wears rubber gloves while she's filing -- the kind you can get at any convenience store. They keep her hands from getting all dried out, and protect her from getting a kajillion paper cuts.

That's such a good (and obvious) idea, and yet I've never seen anyone else do it.

Ever come up with any ideas that are brilliant and yet so simple? Or maybe you've borrowed some from someone else?

Please share.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,260 • Replies: 30
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:15 pm
stand on the hood and pee.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:19 pm
When it gets cold around here, the urine comes out in little ice cubes such as one sees in hotels . . .
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:24 pm
I see well it works here. I can vouch for that.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:27 pm
Quote:
stand on the hood and pee.

((Shivers))

Quote:
When it gets cold around here, the urine comes out in little ice cubes such as one sees in hotels .

Yep! Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:32 pm
When your stockings and skirt stick together or anything else, for that matter, from static cling, rub a sheet of fabric softener between the two garments. Voila.

Leftover wine goes into ice cubes for stews.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:36 pm
Those are great ideas, Mame!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:40 pm
If you've a leaky faucet that is bothering you nights, tie a string around the faucet and let the other end dangle in the drain. The water will run noiselessly down the string. Of course this is just until you get it fixed or fix it yourself.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:50 pm
Hey, I've done that, Snood. If you need to, you can even use the string to guide the water where you want to go. Like, if you have to work under a leak, it's nicer if the water isn't running into your face.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 01:31 pm
I have just placed an old rag under the drippy faucet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 01:39 pm
Lots of good ideas here..
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 01:48 pm
Nifty ideas!

Here's a tip from my mom--

Have you ever had that problem of cooking something in your microwave that has a strong smell, burritos or something like that, and then every time you use it it smells like burritos? Well, if you microwave a little container of white vinegar in there for a minute or so, it eliminates the smell, plus softens up any dried-on spills in there so they're easier to wipe up! Then you just pop a lid on the container of vinegar and put it away for next time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 01:50 pm
Never heard of that one, cyphercat, but when I microwave anything messy - like burritos, I do it on a paper plate. Keeps that stuff from cooking into a plate I want to keep.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 01:56 pm
Or if your microwave has cooked on food, put in a sopping wet rag and nuke it for a couple of minutes. Leave the door shut for about 4 - 5 min. more and the steam will loosen all the junk.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 01:01 pm
Ahh, I knew A2Kers would have some brilliant ideas! :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:22 pm
I have some shortcuts that people have copied.

A desk chair--on wheels--makes a good dolly for shifting heavy objects from one place to another. I used my desk chair this morning to ferry the contents of the freezer across the kitchen and onto the back stoop while I defrosted.

Saving a small dish detergent bottle and filling it with bleach means that the bleach is handy for disinfecting jobs.

The salad dressing corner of my pantry shelf has a piece of foil covered cardboard under the oil bottles. Instead of getting down on my knees to scrub, I can just remove the cardboard and wipe it down.

From I Hate Housework by Peg Bracken. When you get a personal letter, immediately address an envelope for a reply to the sender. For some reason this makes writing snail mail much more palatable--and the addressed envelope acts as an extra nag.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:44 pm
Noddy - You can fold a paper towel the long way four times (making a strap-shape) and wrap it around your oil bottles and secure it with a rubber band to prevent those oil drip-downs that coat you shelf.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:55 pm
Littlek--

I've tried that and find the Drip Pan approach less work.

When I had a house of unfinished children, I kept a foil wrapped piece of cardboard under the jams, jellies and most especially the honey.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:19 pm
The 1000 uses of cheap shampoo -

if your significant other's shirt collar doesn't get clean, dab some shampoo on it before giving it in the washing machine. It takes care of the greasy dirt and hairspray residue around the collar just perfectly.

Instead of using chemicals to clean the tub or sink, shampoo does the
job a lot better and it's shinier, and smells better too.

Use shampoo for filling up your soap dispensers. It gets the job done quicker, especially when you have kids whose hands are always dirty and sticky.

I don't like to bring sweaters to the cleaners, they don't smell good afterwards. I use shampoo to wash them, just a dab in warm water will
do the trick.

I also use a dab of shampoo in warm water to wash all hair brushes,
combs and other hair clips.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:22 pm
I also use these fabric softener sheets to put in my shoes, especially
shoes I'm not wearing during the summer months.

Plus, I use these sheets on my glass top range - it gives me a
streak free shine and takes all the grease out.

It also helps with soap build up in the shower doors.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » So Brilliant And Yet ..... So Simple
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 07:10:00