Still here...

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 01:15 pm
Eva--

I'm thinking of you as I hack away with my ice chopper. Too much togetherness is not conducive to serenity.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 01:32 pm
((((((((Eva))))))))
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 05:28 pm
Poor Eva, I hope you have power by now. I'd be a cantankerous witch
with a capital B too, if I had to be without power and other necessities
for such a long time.

Although I never in my life went camping, I can imagine how inconvenient
it becomes.

Warm thoughts to you and yours, Eva!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 11:06 pm
Re: Still here...
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Eva wrote:

Police are being called in from other states to help stop widespread burglaries.

<turns truck around>

C'mon, Gus! <cocks rifle and takes aim> You don't know how much I'd love to shoot somebody right now.

Still no power. It's on 3 blocks from here.

My best friend sent me a text message tonight saying I should take a long trip far away as soon as possible. That really made me laugh. I have to leave Saturday morning for the dreaded annual holiday trip to the crazy inlaws in Texas.

I really might kill someone before this is all over.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 11:39 pm
Jeeeezzz!!!!! @#$%!!!!! I can't believe you guys are still without power!!!

Boy, can I understand your frustration Eva!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 01:35 am
Montana wrote:
Jeeeezzz!!!!! @#$%!!!!! I can't believe you guys are still without power!!!

I guess (and noticed on some photos), private house don't get their electricity via underground cable.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 02:05 am
Quote:
I can't help but wonder what they will do with all this wood.

Too bad people have forgotten what a wood stove looks like.

You're doing it tough eva so heres a pic of me being concerned.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/californiasuite037a.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 02:14 am
I'd be there in a shot with chainsaws If I could.

See if you can suck some warmth up from the photo.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:05 am
Eva--

I've chipped ice for 1/4th of the way to the garage--but this includes the steps which were a very tricky balancing job.

The next quarter section of ice will be dedicated to you. Perhaps by then you'll have power.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:15 am
Re: Still here...
Eva wrote:
Still no power. It's on 3 blocks from here.

Ooh, frustrating. Hope that means you'll get power soon though.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:24 pm
Not today.

Power's on ONE block away. The tree crews came this afternoon and cleared the broken branches away from the lines. Then the line trucks came and worked on the transformer on the pole behind our garage. But apparently they ran into some problem, because they left but "didn't make any progress," they said.

We were all so disappointed. We went out to dinner and I had a nice big glass of wine and an enormous chocolate dessert, and I'm positively stuffed. I'm feeling much calmer now.

Today makes nine days and counting.

Walter, electric lines are underground in newer areas, but not in the older neighborhoods. Even in the new subdivisions, TV cable and phone lines are typically above ground.

Noddy, you be careful out there! Can't you get someone else to do that? Or maybe just spread sand across the ice so you can walk on it safely until it melts? (That's what we do.)

Nice photo, dadpad! It is heartening to think that somewhere in the world, it is summer.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:46 pm
Nice to hear you in better spirits today Eva.

You guys have to be next if they're only one block over and it's good to hear that they've actually started working around you.

Wow! What a terrible storm!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:04 pm
Nine days!!! Glad you had the wine and chocolate cake. Hope you'll have power on Wednesday.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 12:55 am
Eva wrote:
Walter, electric lines are underground in newer areas, but not in the older neighborhoods. Even in the new subdivisions, TV cable and phone lines are typically above ground.

I know such only from pre-WWII phtos here, and from some remote villages .... when I was a child. Shocked
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:22 am
GTR-news:
Quote:
Oklahoma's worst ice storm in history wipes out power to 246,000 Tulsa-area customers. As of Dec. 17, 31,000 Tulsa customers remained without electrical service, according to PSO. Officials estimated that debris on power lines and/or weatherhead damage could prevent restoration of electrical power to up to 10,000 homes. A weatherhead is a weatherproof entry point for above-ground electrical wiring or telephone lines.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:50 pm
Eva--

You must be feeling like H.C. Anderson's Little Match Girl:

Quote:
Most terribly cold it was; it snowed, and was nearly quite dark, and evening-- the last evening of the year. In this cold and darkness there went along the street a poor little girl, bareheaded, and with naked feet. When she left home she had slippers on, it is true; but what was the good of that? They were very large slippers, which her mother had hitherto worn; so large were they; and the poor little thing lost them as she scuffled away across the street, because of two carriages that rolled by dreadfully fast. One slipper was nowhere to be found; the other had been laid hold of by an urchin, and off he ran with it; he thought it would do capitally for a cradle when he some day or other should have children himself. So the little maiden walked on with her tiny naked feet, that were quite red and blue from cold.

She carried a quantity of matches in an old apron, and she held a bundle of them in her hand. Nobody had bought anything of her the whole livelong day; no one had given her a single farthing. She crept along trembling with cold and hunger--a very picture of sorrow, the poor little thing! The flakes of snow covered her long fair hair, which fell in beautiful curls around her neck; but of that, of course, she never once now thought. From all the windows the candles were gleaming, and it smelt so deliciously of roast goose, for you know it was New Year's Eve; yes, of that she thought.

For the whole story: http://web.utk.edu/~rdickens/littlematchgirl/littlematchgirltext.html

Perhaps tomorrow....

Surely tomorrow....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:41 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
GTR-news:
Quote:
Oklahoma's worst ice storm in history wipes out power to 246,000 Tulsa-area customers. As of Dec. 17, 31,000 Tulsa customers remained without electrical service, according to PSO. Officials estimated that debris on power lines and/or weatherhead damage could prevent restoration of electrical power to up to 10,000 homes. A weatherhead is a weatherproof entry point for above-ground electrical wiring or telephone lines.

What the heck does prevent mean in this circumstance?

So sorry to hear you're still in survival mode, eva. Crossing fingers that your block gets power today.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 03:11 pm
Obviously no one wants to electrocute the repair people, but most of my sympathies are with Eva and the other unsatisfied customers.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 07:28 pm
LIGHTS! We have LIGHTS! And ceiling fans! And coffeemakers! And clothes dryers!

And…and…and…..(looks around)…what a MESS this place is!

Quick, turn the lights back off! I don't want to see this! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 07:29 pm
JPB wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
GTR-news:
Quote:

What the heck does prevent mean in this circumstance?...

To keep from happening, as in "preventing" profits. Laughing

I am expecting a VERY low electric bill this month. Cool
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Still here...
  3. » Page 4
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:24:21