Still here...

Roberta

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 01:09 am
Eva, I've been thinking about you here in da Big Apple. Remembering the few times we've lost power and the nightmares that ensued.

Hoping you'll have power restored soon. Keep warm. And phooey on the neighbors.

Edit: PS. Wrote and posted. The ads that popped up next to this post? Creationism. Could it be the reference to the Big Apple? LOL.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 07:30 am
Eva--

May today be the day when civilization returns.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:55 am
Eva -- just been reading up on this. I hope things are finally getting back to normal for you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:04 am
Checking in. How's everyone holding up over there Eva?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 01:10 pm
OMG, Eva! I forgot about you being down there in Oklahoma! I'm so glad to hear you're alright. Thank goodness you have a generator to help out some!

We have a client who came in yesterday and said he was trying to contact his brother (who's without power) in Oklahoma, but said, "I don't know if he even has phone service."

I just can't believe the whole situation down there! Or what it must be like to go without electricity for days or even weeks! Shocked

I'm sending one of my special kitty hugs to you to keep you warm, and my best, most positive vibes, prayers, and wishes. Hang in there! Help is on the way. Hopefully, you'll get your power restored soon!

Quote:
It seemed amazing that employers still expected everyone to show up for work, but I guess that's America for you. Can't let a little thing like a federal disaster interfere with work!

Man, that sucks! Just shows you that our puritanical heritage is still alive and well here in the US. Confused
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 06:29 pm
We're in the middle of a blizzard over here. I'm well prepared in case we lose power.

Hope you guys are getting some power back over there!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:33 pm
Not today. The line crews didn't make much headway yesterday with the wet snow.

According to the newspaper (it is true...neither wind nor rain, etc. can stop the mail or the newspaper!) the mayor called for volunteers today to walk the neighborhoods still without power and check on people. Off-duty firemen & policemen, city employees, church groups, anyone with any electrical knowledge and/or a chainsaw was asked to report to the fairgrounds at noon. A bunch of them came down our street this afternoon and told us the electric company says we'll have power by Tuesday. It's been a week now, so I guess we can stand another couple of days. The power is back on about 8 blocks from here tonight, though, so...maybe tomorrow???

The skies have been gray and overcast all week, but today the sun came out. That gave us a burst of energy, even if it was only 32 degrees. So today was clean-up day around here. That's why I haven't checked in here. I've been busy picking up everything, sweeping walkways, thoroughly cleaning the refrigerator (YUCK!), and trying not-very-successfully to keep from yelling at Hubby and SonofEva. We are all seriously getting on each others' nerves.

I have to teach tomorrow, so at least we will all get a break from each other. That is good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:38 pm
Gotcha.

Hang in.

(you do know a whole bunch of us care? Yeh, I thought so.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:56 pm
Wow! A week is a while and I remember only after a few days, we were ready to get away from eachother.

You get a break tomorrow, that's good.

I'll check back in tomorrow if we manage to keep the power through the night. freezing rain here now. <sigh>
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:57 pm
More photos of the damage. #24-32 were taken around our neighborhood.

Tulsa ice storm
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:08 pm
That's just devistating!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:09 pm
Ah there she is. I was worried about you, Eva, as you hadn't checked
in all day long. I'm glad things are semi-fine. I can imagine that
nerves are shut and everyone has to tip-toe around each other like
in a mine field. I'd be the same way Razz

Do you have enough food in the house? Are there restaurants open
where you just can grab a bite?

Oh all these beautiful trees!! It just breaks your heart to see that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:19 pm
Hang in there, Montana.

One good thing about older houses...they're not "total electric." Our water heater, stove & fireplace all run on natural gas, so they've been fine.

Everyone has been told to drag the broken tree limbs & branches to the curb and pile them up. No need to cut & bundle them as usual...that would be far too much work. Driving down the streets in my neighborhood, the view is weird. There are huge piles in front of nearly every house on both sides of the streets, and many of the stacks of dead wood are 6' tall and stretch across the entire yard. The city has called in tree services from all over the country. I can't help but wonder what they will do with all this wood. Too bad they can't build something with all of it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:26 pm
Yes, most restaurants have reopened now. We've been eating out or bringing food in all week. At first there were only a few places open and it could take a long time to get in. But now that most of the city has power again, the restaurants are back to (relatively) normal. But they are busy.

Yeah, the trees. This part of Tulsa is known for them. I think it's as much a psychic blow to all of us as a physical one. It's hard to look out the window or drive down the street and not get all choked up.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:26 pm
Thanks Eva. So far, so good and we're prepared, just like you guys.

I'm sure they'll find something to do with the wood, but the poor trees will never be the same.
Everything about this is very sad.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:34 pm
Edit: Everyone had to eat out or bring food in, CJ. After 3 days, we were all told to empty our refrigerators and throw away everything. And you can only keep an ice chest going so long, especially since the stores were selling out of ice as quickly as they could get it in. Many people tried to store a few things outside since the temperatures were so cold, but that didn't last long, either. So yeah, it was either peanut butter and crackers or use up the gasoline to drive somewhere. (Long lines for gasoline, too, but that is better now.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:57 pm
With family in OK and MO, I'd been wondering how you were doing, Eva. Got up with Mom in MO, but not Dad, who is down around Ada. Thought of you as soon as I saw the storm moving in, but don't let my family know I thought of you first. Good to know you are okay.

School tomorrow means heat, right?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:32 am
Yes, but we've had heat since Thursday night. My brother in Oklahoma City found us a generator and brought it up. See first post on thread.

Generator power is limited...we can only run a couple of things at a time and still maintain heat in the house. It was 26 degrees outside when I left for work at 8:15 this morning. It's like camping indoors.

Have I ever mentioned...I HATE CAMPING!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

I am really having a difficult time working this morning. I want to slap people for all the silly pettiness that typically goes on around a school. I am one of the very few who is still without power at home, so most people have returned to normal. However, my patience is worn very, very thin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 11:11 am
Sharing your impatience! (Hang in there...)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 11:26 am
Re: Still here...
Eva wrote:

Police are being called in from other states to help stop widespread burglaries.

<turns truck around>
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Still here...
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:17:37