How do I De-electrify my cat, or should I...

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:47 pm
Stinky is incredibly electric right now with the heater going, and the wind a blowing...

I can pet him good, and touch his ear......major sparkage... Shocked

Way funny for me, not so much for him.... Rolling Eyes

Suggestions...?

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:50 pm
I suggest that you use this asset to make your own electricity at home. Stinky could probably even power a small electric car.

If not, smother him with vaseline, that ought to do the trick.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:54 pm
No, he's wary of vaseline.... Rolling Eyes

RH
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 12:53 am
You can do a couple of things: 1) take a dryer fabric sheet and rub it over the cat's fur; 2) you can use static cling spray (some cats really don't like this one though).

Hope it helps!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:39 am
Some fabric softners contain formaldehyde.
Be careful.

Just rub some lotion on your hands, then rub him.
The moisture helps.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:40 am
or, you can stick a plug in his butt and see what happenes.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:00 pm
Stinky says no more advice from the wolf, that door is exit only... Shocked

Lotion might be a good thing, my hands look like snake skin after playing in the solvent tank today...

He's started trying to shock me now, thinks he's clever.... Rolling Eyes

RH
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:20 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
You can do a couple of things: 1) take a dryer fabric sheet and rub it over the cat's fur; 2) you can use static cling spray (some cats really don't like this one though).

Hope it helps!

Yikes! I wouldn't want to do that to my cat!

Maybe you can put some skin lotion on your hands and rub the cat down?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:11 am
Consider getting a humidifier.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:17 pm
@Noddy24,
Rather than start a new thread, I kinda like restoring one with miss noddy as the last poster...

Baby sarge has had eye buggers real bad since she showed up crying, behind my gas meter...

We been through as much antibiotics as I could sneak by her, and now I am smearing Neosporin on her eyes at night...

They swell shut, and the inner lids are verra red and inflamed.

Any thoughts, cat folks?

I am not well financially, and already spent a benjamin I ain't got to get her fixed, and deloused...

Thanks...
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:21 pm
@Rockhead,
Is it possible she has allergies? that's the case with my dogs - 1/2 no-name benadryl twice a day takes the edge off for them (they weigh about 20/25 pounds so you can get a sense of the dosage). Cleo stops rubbing her eyes pretty quickly after a dose of the benadryl.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:28 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't think country animals get allergies, but I will ask the Dink...

(I am thinking some kinda infection, the antibiotics seemed to help till she got wise, and I got bloodied...)

(it seems to stink some, too, as she just got bathed, but her breath is kinda funky with it, <minor nose buggerage as well>)

buggers are clear, then quickly crusty and blackish...

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:28 pm
@Rockhead,
Check her symptoms against the info here:

http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/conjunctivitis.htm

and here if she has other cold symptoms:

http://symptommysterious.com/index.php/symptoms/cat-cold-symptoms/

Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:35 pm
@Butrflynet,
no other symptoms, just serious eye inflammation, but thanks BFN and I will look at the links.

(she no likey the neosporin now, but it is quick and easy with no blood...)
roger

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 01:27 am
@Rockhead,
Mummify her in a thick bath towel if you get queasy at the sight of blood. Just have to watch the teeth, then.

On the earlier problem, it's best to keep the little darlings grounded all winter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 06:14 pm
@Rockhead,
Country animals can definitely have allergies.

The stinky breath is usually connected with sinus problems - which people and animals often get following on untreated allergies.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 06:31 pm
Im a brave kitty owner.

i would roll her up in a towel like Mighty Mouse said, and then i would try my damn-dest to get a warm rap around her eyes for a bit.. twice a day

Get that leakage going so that if it is allergies, her tear ducts dont clog up. Not that they WOULD.. but it might help all around to get that gunk moving

Sea salt + water.. touch just the outside of her eyes.. essentially "drying " the skin around it.
Why does that work? Dunno. seen it done.. heard it works.. may not be the best advice though

Cherry eyes?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 06:35 pm
@shewolfnm,
yeah, the inner lids are red and swollen, don't retract fully.

She mats up, and has trouble opening them.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 07:08 pm
@Rockhead,
As a shelter vet, I see a ****-ton of eye problems in cats.

Is Baby Sarge a kitten, or an adult cat?
We've found that triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointments like Neosporin (I'm assuming your using a Neosporin product meant for use in the eyes -- if not, stop using it immediately) -- like I was saying, we've found that triple abx ointments can be pretty irritating to kittens, and often make things worse. In younger cats we usually use a terramycin ointment or, if they're particularly young or sensitive, erythromycin. If you can't get either of these (I'm not sure if they're available OTC or not), it might be worthwhile to stop the antibiotic you're using for a few days and see if things improve. Above all else, make absolutely sure that whatever product you're putting in the eyes doesn't contain a steroid -- putting steroids in there will put the corneas at risk of ulceration, and could lead to rupture of the eye (which will have to be removed surgically, which is expensive for you and inconvenient for the cat).

Is Baby Sarge sneezing, making a lot of snot, or breathing noisily?
By far the most common reason for conjunctivitis (inflammation of the tissues surrounding the eyes) and keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) in cats is feline herpesvirus, which also usually causes upper respiratory signs. Sometimes the eyes can be bad a few days before the sneezing and snots start.

Is Baby Sarge eating all right?
Cats with upper respiratory disease often have poor appetites, which in turns makes it harder for them to fight infection. One of the reasons they don't eat like they should is that they can't smell their food, and cats don't like to eat what they can't smell. If Baby Sarge isn't eating, I'd recommend offering wet food warmed up a bit in the microwave -- warm food is much easier to smell than cold food. Wet food also will help get some fluids into the kitty, and sick kitties tend not to drink as much as they need to either.

What do Baby Sarge's eyes look like?
Inflamed conjunctiva are dramatic and uncomfortable, but any irregularities in the surface of the cornea may be suggestive of an ulcer, and ulcers on the cornea are bad (see above).

Given the circumstances of your acquiring her, I very much suspect that Baby Sarge has upper respiratory infection caused by herpesvirus. Watch out for sneezing and rattling breathing. If this is the case, here are a few things you can do:

* Feed warm canned food (see above). Food intake is a big thing. Kittens who don't eat don't tend to stay with us very long.
* Take Baby Sarge in the bathroom when you shower. The warm, moist air will help to loosen respiratory secretions so that Baby Sarge can get them out.
* Put L-lysine in her food. There's some anecdotal evidence that lysine is helpful in fighting herpesvirus infections in cats. It can be acquired at any nutritional supplement store (e.g., GNC). For a kitten, put 250 mg on food; 500 mg if she's an adult.

If there are no respiratory signs at all, it could be that there is a primary bacterial infection of the eyes. Either way, it doesn't sound like the triple antibiotic is working and may be making matters worse. I am serious about attempting to stop the ointment for a couple of days and seeing if the eyes improve at all, if you can't get your hands on a gentler product to use (that is, terramycin or, ideally, erythromycin ophthalmic ointment).

More than anything, though, I have to recommend that she see a vet. If she really can't and she continues to get worse, she really might be better off at a shelter that has the capability of offering good medical care (not all can do so, unfortunately); even in cat-saturated Wisconsin, where we've got hundreds of thousands of folks who think it's a good idea to hunt ferals, kittens are an adoptable commodity.

Sorry for the long reply, I hope it's useful to you.

Sorry, editing -- for some reason I didn't see the following posts, and I'm too lazy to go back and edit. I just want to ask --- you're absotively, posolutely sure that she's not packing a nose full of boogers?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 07:18 pm
@patiodog,
Actually, thanks for the long reply.

She is maybe 5 months old...

scrawny, found.

No breathing problems at all, and minimal snot traces, more like the black stains round the eyes, but I have never actually seen active nose snot.

She would not eat at the vet when the surgery was done, but she is a skeeredy cat. She was chowing and gaining weight rapidly prior to the visit, and 2 days after her surgery and since, has a good appetite. (mostly dry, but I do slip some of the big boys canned salmon dinner to her pretty reglar.

I will stop the neosporin (I use it in my eyes on occasion as well, no steroid, and pharmacist recommended)

I am snowed for a day or two more, and then will go see my vet for a topical of some sort, he is an old friend, and will help me out if I can get there.

Thanks again dog.

(ps, she likes the shower, Wolfie been trying to get me to make her a water kitty...)

psps

can my big cat catch this, he is showing no signs, but he no go vet, ever ever ever again...

1. Forums
  2. » How do I De-electrify my cat, or should I...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 08:50:52