mathematicians albert einstein / bill gates?

tali

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:31 pm
how brilliant (or not) as mathematicians was albert einstein and also bill gates?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,263 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 04:40 am
Bill Gates isn't a mathematician.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:42 am
Neither was Einstein.

Rap
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 05:13 pm
Yes, of course. I blame a lack of caffeine for my incomplete answer. :wink:
0 Replies

tali

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:38 pm
i didn;t say they were mathematicians Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes , so i assume they never ever had to use advanced mathematics in their chosen proffessions?- amazing
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:31 am
Einstein said his math was plebian and consulted with theoretical mathematicians as necessary to work out the details of his thought experiments. That is not to say he was pretty familiar with math as a tool, up to tensor calculus, but he did need some help in applying non- Euclidian geometry (particurly hyperbolic) to his equivalence discussion on acceleration/gravity, that he built upon work by Poncelet.

At Princeton Albert had contact/consulted with some of the greatest mathematicians if the time, including Kurt Godel (Incompleteness Theorem, Cardinality of infinite systems, etal).

As for Bill Gates, I'd say his knowledge of Boolean Algebra is probably better than my spelling, his competence of game theory is equal to a professional gambler or T. Boon Pickins, and and his understanding of the calculus is adequate enough to derive sinking fund formulas--but I've never thought of him as a mathematician per se.

Rap
0 Replies