why me?

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 03:07 pm
It has happened again...if anyone here remembers a post I put up about how strays always seem to seek me out (the most recent being my Starbucks kitten find) you will know where I am coming from.

I have just relocated from Houston to Dallas and have only been in my new apartment for a month. I was walking my dog this morning and lo and behold I see something moving behind one of the cable boxes as I walk by. I peek behind it and there are two kittens, both black and white med/short haired. They are able to walk around but are a bit wobbly. Their eyes are open but still that bright kitten blue. Rolling Eyes SIGH.

No sign of mama, and while today is a bit mild we are due for another bout of freezing rain later this week. I put doggy away and went back down and scooped them into a carrier and they are now locked in my bathroom with a box and some food and water.

I cannot keep them. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 cats, 3 birds, a dog and a snake. There is just no more room. I have left messages with the local no-kill shelter, but no one ha called back. My # is still Houston based so it is long distance up here so I am not sure if they will call me back.

The worst part is that 20 minutes after I put them in my bathroom I heard mewling. It wasn't coming from the bathroom but outside. I went to my balcony and down where I had found the kittens is momma cat and another kitten who is nursing on her.

Now I feel bad. I went down later to see if I could get the 3rd kitten but momma and baby were both gone. I know taking the kittens was the right thing because they probably would not survive the coming storm, momma can take care of herself, but now the landscapers are out there doing work and they are less than careful about what they run over with the lawnmowers Sad .

I am also worried that the kittens may not be weaned as the one I saw was nursing. They do look old enough, however, so I will have to keep an eye on them. Hopefully this shelter can take them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,097 • Replies: 11
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 03:57 pm
Why you?

Because you're a softie and you bother to take care of the little critters!

Have you thought about posting them on Craigslist? You might be able to find someone with a nursing mother cat who would finish weaning them or at least find them some homes.

Go to: www.craigslist.org, click on your city then go to the "pets" listing under the heading "community".
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:12 pm
Thanks, Boomerang! I had not thought of that. I will give it a try.

I was thinking about putting them back and hoping momma comes back to feed them, but there are stray dogs about and I don't think they would survive the night.

I went and got a bottle and cat formula. One of them ate a little but the other one wanted nothing to do with it. No call back from the shelter. I will try again in the morning.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:58 pm
One thing I used to do with my stray cats is to hold the baby in a way that makes it squeak.
( not hurting it.. but you know what I mean..)

and the noise it makes attracts the mom kitty

When she comes to the door and you see her watching you, put thebabies down in a box and walk away.

Check again about an hour or so later and make sure she has taken them.

She has obviously lived around there for a while ( being old enough to reproduce) so I am sure she can survive the winter and dogs.
Give her a chance to be a mama. Smile
Just keep an eye out.
Maybe set up an old dog house on your patio with blankets in them.
Put the babies in side of there and maybe she will see it as safe? and use it for a house..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:59 pm
Oh.

And dont worry.. you are not the crazy cat lady.

I .......... at one time had 12 cats Shocked
All strays I took in. Most babies just like the one you describe.

(sigh)

I have to say that was one of my happiest times. Pre-child life.. Smile
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:10 pm
I lived with the crazy cat lady, but I agree with the wolf.

Mama WILL keep trying to find them, help her out, and then find where they go, and help some more if you want. Laughing
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:45 pm
Relief!! I was about to go back and try to bottle feed them again and was getting really worried about what to do when I heard the mewling outside again.

I look out my window and there is momma cat! She has her third kitten with her too!

I ran to my bathroom, scooped the two little ones up and carefully approached.

She approached me too, hissing all the way, but I set the little ones down in the grass and they made a bee-line toward her. She sniffed them over and then scooched them behind her.

I ran back upstairs and got a can of food and made up all of the rest of the kitten milk and went back down. Everyone was still there and momma gulped down the food and I went back inside so that she could hopefully nurse.

I am still worried about the weather, but they were alive last week when it actually snowed here so I suppose she knows where to go to keep warm.

Sigh...I know it means they will be outdoor strays, but it didn't feel right to keep them away from momma. If I had seen her to begin with I never would have picked them up in the first place.

At least the family is back together. Besides, all of the no kill shelters in the area were full and I would rather them take their chances out there than to have them be given only three days to be adopted or be put to sleep in a regular shelter.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:52 pm
Rockhead wrote:

Mama WILL keep trying to find them, help her out, and then find where they go, and help some more if you want. Laughing

Yes, I will keep an eye out for them and keep a cup of food handy. Momma didn't look malnourished or anything so I think she has a steady source of food somewhere.

Hopefully, things will work out for them.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:10 pm
Next time you see babies like that, just watch them for a while.

Remember, a mom kitty can only carry one at a time so you WONT see her if she is in the middle of transporting.

if after several hours, the babies are still there and crying, you know something is wrong.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:11 pm
Rockhead wrote:
I lived with the crazy cat lady,

do I know you?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:49 pm
Lil' mrs. wolf, you're not wacko enough to have been one of mine. Cool
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 04:57 pm
I am a crazy cat lady in training. My mom is still Queen.

We had 3 females and 2 males when I was growing up. The boys were fixed, but the ladies were not. All 3 had kittens within a week of each other 6-6-5. Suddenly we went from 5 to 22 cats! They were all so cute. The moms moved them all into one box and took turns being nurse, when they all needed a break one of the boys,Sammy, would climb in and keep everyone warm.

We did find homes for everybody and only ended up keeping 3 of them. For the next 15 years we had at least one of the descendents from those litters, until a bout of cat leukemia wiped out our whole cat family.

I had to go two years without any cats to make sure the virus had completely died off everywhere inside and out. It was the longest 2 years of my life. My dad caught me on the couch watching TV one day absent mindedly petting one of my Sylvester the Cat fuzzy house slippers and laughed. The next day my mom and I went to one of my classmates houses to pick out a cat from a litter her cat had. We came home with 2.

Putt and Fuzzikins, are now 15 years old at my parents home. Sadly Fuzzikins passed away from cancer a few months ago, but Putt is still going strong, if not a little lonely. I have moved out and on and have my own little furry family.
0 Replies