my dog is in labor

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 05:28 am
THE MASTIFF DOWN THE WAY IS only a little bigger than her, but these things are as big as a big gulp cup already, ive never seen puppies get that big.

her labor was almost 24 hours, she took 5 hours to deliver all 7 puppies, possibly?
i hope it was mastiff, these dogs will just be badass!

oh yeah more pics on flickr, but it made them 1/2 the size of my other ones so they suck and i cant do anything with em on my work pc.

u get to see one next to a soda cup tho :/
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 03:37 pm
The pups are adorable.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 03:47 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
i can neuter a male and not feel bad but spaying makes me feel bad for some reason.

I just wanted to say, you ought to look into spaying a bit more before you decide it makes you feel too bad to do it. It lowers your doggie's risk of cancer, and it has other benefits too (besides just the fact that the world does not need more puppy-makin' dogs in it).
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 03:48 pm
forgot to say-- the pups are tooo cute!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 04:21 pm
cyphercat wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:
i can neuter a male and not feel bad but spaying makes me feel bad for some reason.

I just wanted to say, you ought to look into spaying a bit more before you decide it makes you feel too bad to do it. It lowers your doggie's risk of cancer, and it has other benefits too (besides just the fact that the world does not need more puppy-makin' dogs in it).

To expand on what Cypher said:

Spay/neuter is the most humane thing you can do for an animal. It's cruel to allow a dog to go thru the frustration of a heat cycle and it's even more cruel to let an animal get pregnant over and over. A fixed dog has a better disposition and a longer, healthier life.

Something else to think of: All these puppies are going to go out into a world you cannot control, some of these dogs could end up being abused and you are partly responsible because you let their creation happen in the first place. Take a look at your local shelter, 80% of all dogs in shelters are either full or part pit-bull (NY SPCA statistics). Most dogs given up to shelters are large dogs. Most of these large dogs are euthanized because no home can be found for them. You are not doing the world or dogs a favor by creating more of them.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 09:22 am
using that logic shouldnt we spay and neuter humans? theres a reason we don't. its their lifes mission, i dont know one human that would give up sex or kids willingly.

and thats the reason i feel bad doing it. but in jan im gettin her spayed, period blood is not cute. at all. the other dog at the house just got it on my rolling stones sweater, well it wasnt mine exactly. lol. i mean she already had 1 litter of pupsters, if anything now she wont have any regrets lol.

i wish i had some land so i could take all those dogs in, ive never had a bad dog" i couldnt change, all they need is some attention and trust.

i see all these people who get dogs and keep them outside and in little fenced in yards, and people wonder why when they get out they attack people. dogs will act how they are treated. its just a sad situation i guess. oh well.

but jesus, 3-4 days and they are as big as a big gulp cup its insanity.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 01:40 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
oh yeah more pics on flickr, but it made them 1/2 the size of my other ones so they suck and i cant do anything with em on my work pc.

you might have better luck with imageshack...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 03:28 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
using that logic shouldnt we spay and neuter humans? theres a reason we don't. its their lifes mission, i dont know one human that would give up sex or kids willingly.

I don't agree it's our "lifes mission". Only a hardcore Catholic, or similar religious fanatic, would think so. Humans have reliable birth control. I've never given up sex and I have no children by choice. Many people do willing give up both for various reasons. Animals are not so lucky, just think of puppy mills and the poor dogs that are literally breed to death in those places. I'm glad you will do the right thing and give your dog the best option possible.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 07:40 pm
It sure ain't my life's mission to have kids, I'll tell you that...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 02:42 am
What you gonna do with all the puppies if you don't spay? Who pays for their upkeep?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 04:14 pm
its just ive noticed dog that get spayed before they have kids usually just mope around all day.

after i got my rott/bassat hound spayed she never got off the couch again to play or anything. both my moms dogs did the same thing.

i dont know if its just me or what.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 04:58 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
its just ive noticed dog that get spayed before they have kids usually just mope around all day.

after i got my rott/bassat hound spayed she never got off the couch again to play or anything. both my moms dogs did the same thing.

'

Just coincidence. I grew up around labs, retrievers and rotties, all fixed, they had energy until their last days of life. Even my grandparents English bulldogs had pep until they reached their later years. Fixed dogs do tend to be less aggressive, but it doesn't make them lazy.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:06 pm
We had a spayed pit bull who had never had puppies. She ran constantly -- an amazing ball of energy. She weighed maybe 35 lbs. and could pull my husband along (I think he's about 170?). Like GW said -- it's a coincidence. Get the dog spayed. It's a lot better for her, and for you.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:24 pm
I'm for spaying.
< it never effected the dog to the left.

Can we have more puppy pictures, please?
The Mother is a beauty.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:54 pm
OGIONIK wrote:

It would appear to just be you.

The anecdotal evidence is against you (I've also got a lively peppy spayed dog who's close to 10 years old - people think she's a puppy all the time), as is the science.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:55 pm
Spay.

Spay and neuter.

Spay and neuter as early as the vet says is safe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 03:43 pm
That corgi to the left was a two ton truck of alertness and energy, and I got him from the humane society already neutered.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 05:45 pm
jes wrote:
We had a spayed pit bull who had never had puppies. She ran constantly -- an amazing ball of energy.

ayuh, she single-handedly got me in shape for ultimate frisbee season that spring...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 07:57 pm
My dad's dog is 14 years old and still super energetic-- you have to hold her back on walks, she'd just keep going for miles on her stubby little legs, and she's spayed (never had puppies, either).

All the stuff about getting lazy once they're fixed, or having better temperaments if they've had one litter, is just superstition. Like Beth said, there's scientific evidence that it's not true, but people just go on believing it anyway (kind of like your Christian friend you mentioned the other day-- just believing what he wants, against all the scientific evidence-- see what I'm gettin at? Wink ).
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 08:05 pm
Awww! Finally got a chance to check back in here. Thanks for the pics! They are adorable.

Bet they are keeping you and mama busy about now.
0 Replies