Socializing a new cat

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 02:47 pm
Our new cat Saki is very sweet and very calm.. sometimes..

When we first got her, she was very friendly and was always at my feet, in my bed, on my arms.. you name it. She had no fear of us what so ever and was completely happy just being around one of us.

She came with fleas... so.. she got a flea bath, comb and some drops.

She has not been the same since.

She runs, is scared of my voice, my hands,my feet... I can literally not see her for two or three days unless I go in search of her.

She gets really scared when someone lifts something above their heads and almost pees herself if something comes at her quickly.

For example, if I am sweeping the floor, she will race away from anywhere the broom is and hide in fear.

If she is watching me walk close to her, and I for what ever reason raise my hands, she races away again.

I don't know if that is a sign of abuse? Or just a timid cat.

The people who had her before were not an abusing kind so I doubt they did anything to hurt her. They found her in the parking lot of their apt building, hiding under the stairs skinny, sick and covered with bugs. They nursed her back to health and then found her a home. We have continued that treatment and she is now a healthy, happy fat baby kitty. Smile

But scared to death of us .

I think I scared her for life giving her a bath..

So what can I do to help her come out ? To learn we wont hurt her..
I cant really slow down the house and make it quieter.. little Bean is only three.. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,014 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 02:56 pm
Shewolf, can you still taste the flea drops after you get the fur off your tongue? Laughing

Seriously, Stinky went a whole week hiding behind my computer center after I brought him home, and not moving a muscle. I thought he would starve to death. (he had food, just would not move to eat it) Then one day, I came in, sat down, and guess who wanted to be friends. Fine ever since, other than the normal cat dain bramage...

She got spooked, and will come back around at her own pace. Confused
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 02:58 pm
but....but............but..........

ok
0 Replies

etan

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 12:06 pm
Yeah, especially after cats go through a new experience like that...most abhor being bathed. My first cat wouldn't look at me for a week after I gave her a bath. It took a lot of coaxing to get her to trust me again. But after a few more bathing sessions she realized it wasn't gonna kill her and she got used to the drill.

There's also the possibility that the flea medication could have impaired her judgment...what kind did you use?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 01:13 pm
You did the bath thing all wrong.

How to wash the cat
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 01:33 pm
You can cure your cat's fear through tuna.

Seriously.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 01:48 pm
Hey Shewolfn,

Cats are extremely susceptible in stressful situations. Even giving a cat a bath can traumatize them emotionally. However, with time and patience, you can calm her down.

When I take in new cats at the shelter and they show symptoms such as yours is now doing I know I have a job on my hands. But, I have found the best thing to do is give the cat space. Most traumatized cats will calm down after a few days of being left alone. Just make sure there is food and water for them to access.

Don't try to pet the cat or pick it up. Talk to it in a calm voice. Eventually, the cat will come to you when she realizes she is not in danger.

I have had extreme cases in the shelter where a cat was so traumatized just by being taken out of it's home that it would literally mourn itself to death in a few short days. As long as the cat is eating and drinking water time and patience should bring the cat around to a loving pet once again.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:04 pm
Cats are stupid.

I feed the cat, give him treats, let him in and out constantly, tell him what a good boy he is. He hates me, or, just puts up with me.

My son throws him up in the air, pulls his hair and tail, never feeds him, and is way too rough with him in general. The cat sleeps on his bed when he's at school and just loves him to death.

Go figure.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:05 pm
cats are the souls of the damned...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:12 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Cats are stupid.

I feed the cat, give him treats, let him in and out constantly, tell him what a good boy he is. He hates me, or, just puts up with me.

My son throws him up in the air, pulls his hair and tail, never feeds him, and is way too rough with him in general. The cat sleeps on his bed when he's at school and just loves him to death.

Go figure.

Damn cj. Even your cat "dysses" you... Cool
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:59 pm
Well, this cat I learned was actually not eating well at all.

She was that scared.

I THOUGHT she was ok..

So, I started holding her as much as possible.
yes.. I know.. dont do that..

but for her it worked.

I held her, and put food in my hands and she would scarf it down.
I would hold the water bowl and she would drink.
If I was not touching her, she wouldnt do it.

I just started touching her less and less and backing away slowly more and more each time she ate to the point now where I dont have to be near her.. she eats on her own.

( i forgot about this thread.. or I woul dhave posted an update. Smile )

She still wont come to me, but at night she sneaks in to my bed and kneads on my face and my butt.. HA
So she isnt scared of me.. just not 100% comfortable yet..
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 12:44 pm
I'm so glad she's coming around shewolfnm. I bet in no time at all she's cuddling up to you even when you aren't asleep!

Cats are definitely like people in the respect they definitely have their own personality. Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:28 pm
When they aren't paying attention throw a pair of wadded up socks at them. It's hilarious to watch them do a 5' high backflip.
0 Replies