Selective Submissive Peeing

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:31 pm
I have a 7 month old catahoula leopard dog that I've had for about 2 months now. At the onset she had an issue with submissive peeing. It took us about a week to get her to come into the house from the backyard. She is socialized with other dogs in other homes at least once a week for several hours in the evenings and never has had any issues at other homes.

She does not pee with meeting new people or when I first get home now. Her issue with peeing at this moment in time is when it comes time to doing something she doesn't want to do. I kennel her at night and she does brilliantly once she's in the crate, it's getting her there that's the problem. 9 times of 10 she "goes to bed" without any problems whatsoever. Occasionally I have to physically lead her to the crate, but she usually will not pee. She is only ever in the kennel over night, never for punishment. It's large enough for her to use as she reaches her full size but not so large that she can't use it now.

She pees only if I ask her to come to me near the kennel first before approaching her to physically lead her to the crate. If she knows I want her to go to bed before I touch her then she pees just before I can get my hands on her.

At nearly 50 lbs already when she pees it's a nightmare. She goes to bed when I go to bed around 10pm and the last thing I need right before bed is to clean up a mountainous mess of pee between my living room and my kitchen where her crate is. When she does pee in regards to going to bed I literally do not have the time to punish her and leave a time lapse before putting her in the cage.

She never pees in the house of her own accord and doesn't pee in the same spot twice as I use cleaners that remove odor from where she does end up peeing. She's left out during the day in our fenced back yard and comes inside when I'm home. If the weather is nice and I don't have to run the AC the door to the yard is left open and she goes outside as she needs to. When the weather isn't nice we take regular bathroom breaks every 2-3 hours without issue.

She doesn't pee when I punish her for other things (chewing electrical cords or furniture, etc). Though she has peed twice when we've been eating dinner and would not give her food from our plates. (Essentially we ignored her while eating so she chose a choice spot to pee on the carpet, right in front of the TV we were watching -- door open and everything. We believe she just wanted our attention.) As consequence she's either outside now when we eat or has been fed her own food at the same time.

She is an amazingly smart dog. It usually takes only 3-5 minutes for her to genuinely learn a new command. She has such an aptitude for learning that I hope to start her in agility classes in the spring. It's because she's so smart that I'm having such a hard time with her peeing when she doesn't want to do something.

Is there anything I can do that maybe I haven't thought of trying yet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 599 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 03:36 pm
This doesn't sound like submissive peeing. This sounds to me like smart dog who doesn't want to spend the night in her crate with a full bladder.

If she's releasing pints of urine, she needs a last trip outside.
0 Replies

SimJam07

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 08:27 pm
she'll do this even if she's had a recent trip outside. please pay attention as i said that she only pees if she knows i want her to go to bed before i approach her.

i'm quite aware that it is not submissive peeing, hence the title saying selective. i have nothing else to call it though as it is a submissive act that she pees once i approach her after verbally telling her to get in the kennel.

the dog holds her pee, especially in the beginning when i first bought her. she would hoard some of it away so that she could use it later if she needed to express her submission. it seems she has not outgrown the trick of hoarding her pee, even though by rights she no longer shows open submission.

no doubt she is a smart dog, but the demeanor comes across as petulant child, not "i have to pee." i have worked and lived among dogs of all behaviors in excess of 20 years and I have not yet seen this behavior which is why i'm here.
0 Replies