I don't enjoy repartee

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:42 am
Today there are four living species of peccary, found from the southwestern United States through Central America and into South America and Trinidad.

The Collared Peccary (Pecari tajacu) occurs from the southwestern United States into South America and the island of Trinidad. They are found in all kinds of habitats, from dry arid scrublands to humid tropical rainforests. They are sometimes called the "musk hog" because of their strong odor. In some areas of the southwestern United States they have become habituated to human beings and live in relative harmony with them in such areas as the suburbs of cities where there are still areas of brush and undergrowth to move through. They are generally found in squadrons of eight to 15 animals of various ages. They will defend themselves if they feel threatened but otherwise tend to ignore human beings. They defend themselves with their long tusks, which sharpen themselves whenever the mouth opens or closes.

Throughout the state of Arizona, collared pecarries are know as 'javelinas'. They are often seen around people's houses, with herds of them sometimes seen walking across driveways or porches. In some neighborhoods, they even live in backyards.[citation needed]

A second species is the White-lipped peccary (Tayassu pecari), which is found in the rainforests of Central and South America.

The third species, the Chacoan peccary (Catagonus wagneri), is the closest living relative to the extinct Platygonus pearcei. It is found in the dry shrub habitat or Chaco of Paraguay, Bolivia, Argentina and Southern Brazil. The Chacoan peccary has the unusual distinction of having been first described based on fossils and was originally thought to be only an extinct species. In 1975 the animal was discovered to still be alive and well in the Chaco region of Paraguay. The species was well known to the native people.

A fourth species, the Giant Peccary (Pecari maximus) was recently discovered in the Brazillian Amazon by Dutch biologist Marc van Roosmalen. Though recently discovered by science it has been known to the local Tupi people as Caitetu Munde, which means "great peccary which lives in pairs." [2] [3] It is thought to be the largest extant peccary, and can grow to 1.2 meters in length. Its fur is completely dark gray, with no collars whatsoever. Unlike other peccaries it lives in pairs, or with one or two offspring.

One song on Frank Zappa's "Studio Tan" album is about "Greggery Peccary", a "little pig" who invents the calendar. [2]

Episode 30, "Bully Up A Tree", of Davey and Goliath featured a bully who was chased up a tree by a peccary, and then rescued by the dog Goliath, whom he had teased earlier.

A stuffed Javelina is seen in the movie The Royal Tenenbaums.

The Pixies have a song called "Havalina" on their album Bossanova. The lyrics are: Havalina, Walking in the breeze, On the plains of old Sedona Arizona,

The javelina is the official mascot of Texas A&M University-Kingsville (formerly Texas A&I University), in Kingsville, Texas.

On the television show Survivorman, in the Sonoran Desert episode, Les Stroud warns about the peccary and also has several shots of the animal.

On the June 11th episode of Pardon the Interruption, Tony Kornheiser said he would have preferred to see Chad Johnson race a javelina rather than a horse.

In the song "Point of Extinction" on Motion City Soundtrack's album 'Even If It Kills Me', the opening lyrics are: "Are you listening, javelina?"

One of Peoria's Arizona Fall League teams' mascot is the Javelinas.
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/st-plains/nature/images/Javelina-tpwd.jpg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:49 am
Damn, Dys, you're more informative than PBS. Very Happy

Is there gonna be a pledge drive.... Rolling Eyes

RH
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:49 am
Dys, many years ago, when the Arizona, Sonora Desert Museum was first built, it had two havelina. The museum directors named them Gregory Peccary and Olivia de Javalina. They had to change the names when both actors complained.

Even mountain lions will avoid riling a javalina. They are vicious little beasts.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:53 am
Diane
Diane wrote:
Dys, many years ago, when the Arizona, Sonora Desert Museum was first built, it had two havelina. The museum directors named them Gregory Peccary and Olivia de Javalina. They had to change the names when both actors complained.

Even mountain lions will avoid riling a javalina. They are vicious little beasts.

You want vicious?
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107874
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:19 am
Oh well, nevermind.

Everybodys gone away
Said theyre movin to l.a.
Theres not a soul I know around
Everybodys leavin town

Some caught a freight, some caught a plane
Found the sunshine in the rain
They said this towns will waste their time
I guess theyre right, its wasting mine

Some topics gotta win, some gotta lose
Good time dys got the blues
Good time dys got the blues.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:54 am
I think you need a better repartee recipe.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:05 am
cjhsa wrote:
I think you need a better repartee recipe.
Amen brother, AMEN.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:35 am
What a snakepit!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:46 am
Good comment, JL!

It reminds me to sometimes check words:

Snake pit - a place or state of chaotic disorder and distress...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 02:04 pm
Yes, Francis (good to hear from you). That certainly wouldn't apply to Paris, but how could it not apply to an American state named after a turkey--(This thread's participants, Dys, BBB, Diane, all live in Albaturkey, New Mexico.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 02:16 pm
Well, JL, I know some things American, especially related to friends...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 02:53 pm
Yes, friends are teasers.
Eat any snails or frogs lately?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 02:58 pm
Well, no, not lately. But I ate some foreign food that didn't fit well, with the obvious consequences...

Why can't people overseas eat like we do here?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:17 pm
Obviously you're right. Do we have any A2K Italian friends to pick on? I don't want to talk about German food even though Walter is a friend. That's because German food isn't above criticism as are French and Italian cuisine.

Ha! Take that Walter.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:22 pm
Yes, we have our Roman friend Raphillon, he posted about food not long ago...

Well, German food is pretty good, maybe not as diversified as French's..
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:35 am
And so it goes, repartetically...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:09 am
>wonderin just what diane is up to>
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:50 am
Hi dadpad. Up to no good, especially for tomorrow with no sleep tonight. Too much champagne has done me in.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:56 am
A bottle of serious Pinot noir is at fault on this side of the pacific.

(wanna have sex?)

Thought not, Oh well.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:12 am
Sweetie, a nice bottle of New Mexican Gruet made in the style of champagne is at fault on this side of the pond and this side of the equator.

Sex, my dear, might be nice in my next life when I'm a little closer to your age. For now, I'll hope you find someone soon.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:36:09