I don't enjoy repartee

Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:58 pm
I gotta do dreesing in the AM, but I got two overhead ovens... Twisted Evil

May you all have to unbutton midmeal... Laughing
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 12:06 am
Ummmm...Osso, I just realized we got a lotta happy thoughts on Dys's bitch thread.

I don't think OSD will give a flip, and Gus is kinda oblivious, but Dys may wake up and have to start a new spew....

I'll leave this part up to you, me bein' new and all.... Embarrassed
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 12:52 am
I would have read all this thread but I'm feeling spectacularly unintellectual at present.

I can however build a farm fence that will keep a rhinoceroses out.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 08:53 am
Buoyant Force Area Object Equal To Weight Of Water Displaced
Buoyant Force On Area Object Equal To Weight Of Water Displaced
The Onion - 11/22/07
BROWNSVILLE, AR

An area object partially immersed in a liquid was buoyed upward Tuesday by a force equal to the weight of the liquid displaced by that object, witnesses at the scene reported. According to sources, opposing forces acted against gravity during the displacement. In addition, though the object reportedly seemed lighter, it only appeared weightless due to the fact that the density of the liquid surrounding it was only slightly greater than that of the object. As of press time, the object is still maintaining positive buoyancy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:48 am
dys has a bitch thread? No one ever tells me anything. So, where's the par-tee?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:00 am
BBB, you have SUCH an imagination.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:21 pm
Front engine, rear wheel drive vehicles tend to have the transmission up front just after the engine, but sometimes a front engine drives a rear-mounted transaxle. This is generally done for reasons of weight distribution, and is therefore common on sports cars. Another advantage is that the driveshaft has only to endure the torque of the engine instead of that torque multiplied by the 1st gear ratio. This design was pioneered in the 1950 Lancia Aurelia, and was conceived by the legendary Vittorio Jano. Earlier vehicles had used similar designs, including the 1914 Stutz Bearcat.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:44 pm
I don't enjoy repartee;

Mysticism and mystical experiences have been a part of Judaism since the earliest days. The Torah contains many stories of mystical experiences, from visitations by angels to prophetic dreams and visions. The Talmud considers the existence of the soul and when it becomes attached to the body. Jewish tradition tells that the souls of all Jews were in existence at the time of the Giving of the Torah and were present at the time and agreed to the Covenant. There are many stories of places similar to Christian heaven and purgatory, of wandering souls and reincarnation. The Talmud contains vague hints of a mystical school of thought that was taught only to the most advanced students and was not committed to writing. There are several references in ancient sources to ma'aseh bereishit (the work of creation) and ma'aseh merkavah (the work of the chariot [of Ezekiel's vision]), the two primary subjects of mystical thought at the time.

In the middle ages, many of these mystical teachings were committed to writing in books like the Zohar. Many of these writings were asserted to be secret ancient writings or compilations of secret ancient writings.

Like most subjects of Jewish belief, the area of mysticism is wide open to personal interpretation. Some traditional Jews take mysticism very seriously. Mysticism is an integral part of Chasidic Judaism, for example, and passages from kabbalistic sources are routinely included in traditional prayer books. Other traditional Jews take mysticism with a grain of salt. One prominent Orthodox Jew, when introducing a speaker on the subject of Jewish mysticism, said basically, "it's nonsense, but it's Jewish nonsense, and the study of anything Jewish, even nonsense, is worthwhile."

The mystical school of thought came to be known as Kabbalah, from the Hebrew root Qof-Beit-Lamed, meaning "to receive, to accept." The word is usually translated as "tradition." In Hebrew, the word does not have any of the dark, sinister, evil connotations that it has developed in English. For example, the English word "cabal" (a secret group of conspirators) is derived from the Hebrew word Kabbalah, but neither the Hebrew word nor the mystical doctrines have any evil implications to Jews.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 02:03 pm
I wonder if Madonna knows all that.

BTW, that is not what I mean by mystical experience. Those notions (of souls, reincarnation, visions, etc.) are merely ideational constructs, sometimes culturally constituted metaphorical representations of an essentially ineffable perspective. And that's what "mysticism" is for me: an extralinguistic orientation or "spiritual" perspective or very general point of view, almost a mood, but never a system of beliefs and ideas. But don't get me started.

A great overview of what I'm talking about is seen in Aldous Huxley's book, The Perennial Philosophy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 09:00 am
A synchronous orbit is an orbit in which an orbiting body (usually a satellite) has a period equal to the average rotational period of the body being orbited (usually a planet), and in the same direction of rotation as that body.

A satellite in a synchronous orbit that is both equatorial and circular will appear to be suspended motionless above a point on the orbited planet's equator. However, a synchronous orbit need not be equatorial; nor circular. A body in a non-equatorial synchronous orbit will appear to oscillate north and south above a point on the planet's equator, while a body in an elliptical orbit will appear to oscillate eastward and westward. As seen from the orbited body the combination of these two motions produces a figure-8 pattern called an analemma.
I'm thinking Jim Jones didn't have any koolaid, he relied on Mr Pibb. Mr PiBB's slogan in the late 1990s was "Put it in your head," and the can featured an odd cartoon head drawn in a squiggly scribble style.
Actually, I've never enjoyed repartee.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 09:39 am
I like repartee, but I'll add this from Lis Harris, Annals of Intrigue, "THE PALIO," The New Yorker, June 5, 1989, p. 83; (Abstract of article):

ANNALS OF INTRIGUE (is) about Siena's Palio, a bareback horse race that has existed in its present form for more than three hundred years and has its roots in the city's ancient past. The Palio is run twice every summer--once in July and once in August in the Piazzo del Campo. Ten of the city's wards compete in the race, which is dedicated to the Virgin & the winner receives a silk banner called the Palio bearing her image. The true center for most Sienese is the ward; it plays an emotional role even more central than the family. Each of the seventeen wards bears the name of its symbol, usually an animal. The rivalries and antagonisms engendered by ancient disputes have continued to arouse violent passions. Every Palio has its own complex set of negotiations. Deals called "patiti" are worked out by interested parties in various preestablished rendevous around the city in the days before the Palio. Three days before the race the captains from the participating wards pick ten of the horses in an event called the "tratta." After the "tratta" preliminary trials are held in which the horses run in five separate heats. During these trial heats the real drama takes place not on the track but behind closed doors as each ward tries to get or keep the best jockey for its horse & tries equally hard to make sure that its rival doesn't end up with a good jockey. Jockeys get traded a lot, but the horses each ward gets by lot can't be traded. The first horse to cross the finish line wins, even if it is riderless. On the day of the Palio a mass is held for the jockeys and the horses are blessed. An historic procession, a theatrical evocation of Siena's past, precedes the race.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:21 am
The Great Pyramid of Cholula, the world's largest monument and largest Pre-Columbian pyramid by volume, is a huge complex located in Cholula, Puebla, Mexico.
Only a fraction of a staircase on one side of the Great Pyramid of Cholula has been restored.

The temple-pyramid complex was built over many dozens of generations, from the 2nd century BC to the early 16th century, and was dedicated to the deity Quetzalcoatl. It has a base of 450 by 450 m (1476x1476 ft) and a height of 66 m (217 ft). According to the Guinness Book of Records, it is in fact the largest pyramid as well as the largest monument ever constructed anywhere in the world, with a total volume estimated at 4.45 million m³, almost one third larger than that of the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt. (The Giza pyramid is taller, however.) The Aztecs believed that Xelhua built the Great Pyramid of Cholula.

Today the pyramid at first appears to be a natural hill surmounted by a church. This is the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios (Church of Our Lady of the Remedies), also known as the Santuario de la Virgen de los Remedios (Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Remedies), which was built by the Spanish in colonial times (1594) on the site of a pre-Hispanic temple. The church is a major Catholic pilgrimage destination, and the site is also used for the celebration of indigenous rites. Many ancient sites in Latin America are found under modern Catholic holy sites, due to the practice of the Catholic Church repurposing local religious sites.

Because of the historic and religious significance of the church, which is a designated colonial monument, the pyramid as a whole has not been excavated and restored, as have the smaller but better-known pyramids at Teotihuacan. Inside the pyramid are some five miles (8 km) of tunnels excavated by archaeologists.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:23 am
Inside the pyramid are some five miles (8 km) of tunnels excavated by archaeologists.

I bet Indian Joe is in there somewhere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:04 am
Um, that N'Yker abstract is written really sloppily. That would be piazza del Campo..
Too bad the article is still not available online. I have a photocopy of it, a long and fascinating piece, but in which still packed box, eh?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:33 am
Ghee is made by simmering unsalted butter in a large pot until all water has boiled off and protein has settled to the bottom. The cooked and clarified butter is then spooned off to avoid disturbing the milk solids on the bottom of the pan. Unlike butter, ghee can be stored for extended periods without refrigeration, provided it is kept in an airtight container to prevent oxidation and remains moisture-free. Ghee was frequently used for libations in Vedic rituals (see Yajurveda), and there is even a hymn to ghee. Ghee is also burnt in the Hindu religious ritual of Aarti and is the principal fuel used for the Hindu votive lamp known as the diya or deep. It is used in marriages and funerals, and for bathing idols during worship. In other religious observances, such as the prayers to Shiva on Maha Shivaratri, ghee is sacrificed along with four other sacred substances: sugar, milk, yogurt, and honey. According to the Mahabharata, ghee is the very root of sacrifice by Bhishma.

Indian restaurants and some households may use hydrogenated vegetable oil (also known as vanaspati, Dalda, or "vegetable ghee") in place of ghee for economic reasons. This "vegetable ghee" is actually polyunsaturated or monounsaturated partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, a trans fat. Trans fats are increasingly linked to serious chronic health conditions. Not only is "vegetable ghee" implicated in causing high LDL, it also lacks the health-promoting benefits claimed for "Shuddh" (Hindi for Pure) ghee. The term Shuddh Ghee, however, is not officially enforced in many regions, so partially hydrogenated oils are marketed as Pure Ghee in some areas. Where this is illegal in India, law-enforcement often cracks down on the sale of fake ghee[3]. Ghee is also sometimes called desi (country-made) ghee or asli (genuine) ghee to distinguish it from "vegetable ghee".

The American Heart Association recommends choosing dishes prepared without ghee.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:02 am
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26156
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 12:25 pm
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 12:38 pm
This is all very interesting, dyslexia, but we have yet to see whether OmSigDavid has the same high regard for you as you do for him.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 01:07 pm
wandeljw wrote:
This is all very interesting, dyslexia, but we have yet to see whether OmSigDavid has the same high regard for you as you do for him.
and so it goes. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him wear a swim suit.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:01 am
Spanish conquistador Francisco Vásquez de Coronado "discovered" the Pueblo of Sandia in 1539 while on an expedition to discover the Seven Cities of Cíbola.

In 1610, Fray Esteban de Perea, known as the "Apostle of Sandia", arrived. A descendant of a distinguished Spanish family, he was Guardian, Commissary, and Custodian of the friars in New Mexico, and was responsible for the implementation of the Inquisition in the territories under his authority. The tradition of witchcraft may have led to the Holy Office's establishment.

In 1617 the area became home to the seat of the Mission of San Francisco. The Spanish exacted tribute and enslaved members of the Sandia Pueblo people for labor in the building of churches and in Mexican mines. As a result of the resentment against this abuse, the Sandia, who had already offered sanctuary for Zia and Jemez rebels, were one of the pueblos involved in the August 10, 1680 Popé-led Pueblo Revolt against Spanish rule that drove the Spanish from the region until its reconquest by Diego de Vargas in 1692. They did not find freedom, however, as Popé and his successor Luis Tupatu exacted as heavy a tribute as the Spanish and the raiding tribes had. By way of punishment for their insurrection, then governor of the territory, Antonio de Otermin, ordered the burning of the village (which by that time had been abandoned) on August 26. Having fled to neighboring Hopi lands, the rectory at Sandia was left unprotected and was looted.

The Sandia returned after each Spanish attack, with the 441 surviving Sandia resettling permanently in November of 1742. In 1762, Governor Tomas Cachupin ordered the rebuilding of Sandia Pueblo (although his concern was primarily the housing of the Hopi who had found refuge there) as a buffer between the settlement at Albuquerque and the raids of the semi-nomadic Navajo and Apache. As a result, Sandia was raided continuously, the most deadly of such events occurring in 1775 when a Comanche raid killed thirty. The Hopi suffered the brunt of the attack as a result of their segregation from the Sandia, which has minimized their influence in the Pueblo. As a result of wars with Spanish conquistadors and raids from neighboring indigenous nations, the Sandia Pueblo diminished, numbering 350 by 1748, and dwindling to 74 by 1900.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:33:21