Selecting a digital camera need help!

CowDoc

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:16 pm
I am looking for a digital camera. I was thinking of a SLR type camera so I can do semi pro photography. I have a Kodak DX6340 right now that is getting old. I would like to take good wildlife, action, & landscape photography. I have looked up info on the Nikon D 80, the Nikon 200, the Canon EOS 40D, & the Sony DSLR A700. Every one of them has high ratings & are said to be good cameras. If there is a really good plain digital camera out there I don't know what it would be???

If any one has a suggestion on what brand & model might be good for my purpose, please let me know.

Mis CowDoc
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,128 • Replies: 20
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:40 pm
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

This is the website I like to use but I have a point and shoot Canon S5 IS.
Sorry I can't help you with SLR's

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103452

Here are some of the photo's I took with it.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:40 pm
Thanks I just spent 40 min. looking over some of the revues of the cameras.

Will have to finish looking later.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:09 pm
Is there anyone out there that has one of the cameras I am looking at that could give me some feed back on them? Is there a better camera that might be better for my interests?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:32 pm
CowDoc, I have had several Canon Powershot, and for what it's worth
it, I always would buy a Canon again. I just like their easy usage and
quality.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 08:17 am
A great read, that will help save you some money

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:56 am
Thanks for all the info.... When I buy my camera, what software & printer would you suggest????
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:58 am
Walter Hinteler might - he's very smart about at least his own terrific camera, and it might be one of those..

(I pm'd him the link to this thread.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:39 am
I've the Nikon 200, since more than a year now (arrived just two days before I flew to Chicago last year).

Additionally, I've got some rather good lenses (all f=2.4), a good flash and ... "zigview".

As software, I just use Corel Paintshop X2 - since I don't 'photoshop' my pics a ot. (Photoshop certainly will do a better job.)

I don't print the photos myself (usually) but store them on an external harddrive (meanwhile the second, since I keep the original RAW-data as well).
The printing job is done via a cd by professionals.

I've three 4GB compact flash disks (Ultra III) and some two and on GB in Ultra IV as well as just 'premium' for either fast shots or just snapshots on weekends.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:48 am
I have a compact point and shoot Canon Elph so I can't be much help.

But I wish you luck in finding a good camera!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:02 am
I am admittedly not much of a gear girl so I still love my 10 year old Olympus E10.

To me, the most important thing is the way a camera fits my hand. The E10 feels like an old school SLR, with most of the buttons and dials where you would expect to find them. It's kind of heavy (I added a big lithium battery) which I like. It's a simple, basic camera which is exactly what I wanted and I haven't outgrown it yet.

The only real bummer about it is that you can't change lenses and sometimes I really miss using my wide angle.

I recommend that you go to a nice camera shop and hold a few and see if you hit on something comfortable.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:17 am
Well, the Nikon 200 is a SLR - and it does look land feel (all metal) like one. :wink:

Weight is something I'm used to (re photgraphical equipment mainly, I mean): my camera with the battery pack (two Lithium batteries, changes from the empty to the full) and my standard lense (24-70) weights a bit more than two kilos.

But I agree: I would go in a photoshop and look for the "comfort" ...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:27 am
No doubt, Nikon makes a quality product!

If I ever wear this camera out I'll probably take a look at them. Back when I bought this one I couldn't afford a Nikon digital -- the Olympus cost about $1,300 ten years ago and Nikons were more than that.

I also have a little Pentax Optio that I bought because it can be used underwater but it is so tiny that it feels clumsy in my hands. It's a great little camera but I hardly use it because of the comfort factor.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 11:34 am
It's true, cameras get cheaper every year (if I would buy one now, I would choose the Nikon 300).

Whe I bought it last year, all my lenses from the previous Nikon SLR cameras were a reason, too, to stay with Nikon. (Though not on lenses: those are really expensive [and I already paid a lot for mine].)
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:18 pm
Sorry not to get back to you sooner, not feeling well latelly.

Got a lot of info from all & thanks. I will be in Montana in the next week or two & will take your info with. I will play with the 3 cameras I think I'm down to.

Found a Canon EOS 5D that uses Sigma lens. I have 4 or 5 lens I could use on this camera. Any one ever used this camera?

Mis CowDoc
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:14 am
No, but all my lenses are Sigma lenses (since I'd got some before, too :wink:

(Be sure that they are DC!)
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 08:31 pm
So..... some sigma len will fit the Nikon cameras? What is DC??
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 11:28 pm
Things came up & I am still looking at cameras. Has any one used or know anything about the Pentax K10D camera??

Might make it to Montana to shop next week!! Sure hope so.

Mrs. CowDoc
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 11:36 pm
An aquaintance, whom I intoduce a bit in "the secrets of phtography" choose a Eos40d instead - the price-performance ratio seemed to be better.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 08:15 pm
We are going to Montana next week. I think I am leaning toward the D80. Will look over several, play with them, & hope I make the right choice.

Thanks for all the help Walter

Mis CowDoc
0 Replies