Back to School

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 01:37 pm
I hope that this is the right section to ask such a question. I have recently signed up to take University courses. It's probably been the better part of two decades since I was in school and actively studying. I am starting with Biology, since I feel that was my best subject in school, back before electricity, the last time I was a student. This is not in a classroom setting, rather online and correspondence. Anyone in the same boat and could perhaps help a man out? Honestly, I don't know what kind of answers I am looking for, perhaps just to draw on someone else's experience.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 434 • Replies: 2
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 01:55 pm
Hi, I went back to school to get my master's at age 37. I'm almost done after a little less than 2 years. Being back in school was very strange at first, but I really enjoy the learning and sense of accomplishment.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the online aspect. My brother takes online courses and is doing well with them. I think you need to be more pro-active while learning that way as opposed to the more traditional classroom way. You need to go online and check schedules and assignments, etc. I think I'd be printing up a storm - the syllabus, the assignments, the discussions - at least for the first couple classes.

What's your main goal? Are you going for a degree, a certification, further knowledge? Good luck and have fun!
0 Replies

hemlock34

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:08 am
Hi littlek, thanks for the reply. You make some good points there. It's a bit overwhelming at first I suppose, but I will adjust. Like you, I really enjoy the process of learning as well as the accomplishment. I am enrolled in a Bachelor of Science program as I never went to University when I was younger. I was skeptical of online learning at first, much less earning a degree, but this school is fully accredited and they provide a ton of resources along with the textbooks. Tutoring, student study groups, etc. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and share you story. It is encouraging to know that other's have been there and succeeded. Thanks again, and good luck to you as you complete your master's. May I ask what field of study you are in?
0 Replies