HDVDs - How to play them

cello

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:02 am
I bought some HDVDs and my DVD player cannot read them. Am I supposed to play them in an HDVD player or something like that? My DVD player is plugged to the TV, it is not on my computer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,376 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:15 am
HD DVDs?

If so, yes. You need an HD DVD player.

If you buy Blu Ray discs, you need a Blu Ray player.

These newer players will play regular discs too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:18 am
They run $300 and up.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:20 am
Yes, they require a specific type of DVD player. I assume you are talking about an HD-DVD disk. Players are coming down in price but one will still cost you several hundred dollars. A quick search at Newegg showed the cheapest one to be $299.

Unless you have a high definition TV there is no point in getting a HD-DVD player. You won't see any difference compared to a standard DVD. I suggest you return the disks and replace them with regular DVDs.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:26 pm
Thank you for the info, Bella and Parados.

They just say HDVD-9 (on the back cover), not HD-DVD, but I suppose it is the same. I can't return them, I bought them when I was out of town. I guess I just have to get stuck with them.

By the way, it does not say Blu Ray, but NTSC, would that mean something? Although on the front cover, it says DVD ROM, that's why I did not pay attention to the HDVD-9, I thought it is just the name of the collection, until I could not play them.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:54 pm
I don't think hdvd-9 is high def. Where are you located?

NTSC is limited to North America. If you are in Europe then your DVD player probably won't play them since most of Asia, South America and Europe use PAL.
0 Replies