The Weight Of An Aluminum Can

Dartboy

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:27 am
I've searched google and yahoo but havn't found a sound answer so I can here with my question.

What is the weight of an aluminum can

or/and

How many aluminum cans does it take to make a kilos worth.

I'm talking about an average soda/fizzy can here, also is there a weight difference between countrys like New Zealand and America cans
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 31,091 • Replies: 17
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:32 am
Bugger The only aluminium can I have is full of beer. Oh well in the interest of helping out.....
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:35 am
Thanks for that Dadpad, anyone else?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:38 am
* Cans are being made lighter every year

An aluminium beverage can weighed 16.55g in 1992 and 15.5g in 1997. This amounts to nearly 6% reduction in the raw material being used.

http://www.aluminium-cans.com.au/RecycleCentre.html
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:40 am
By 2005 the aluminium can weighed about 14.7 grams.

http://www.aluminium-cans.com.au/Facts.html
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:41 am
Hey, Thanks for that site, its a pitty it doesnt have the amount that will really be helpful in what Im doing, thanks mate
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:47 am
My bad it did,

"Cans are getting lighter all the time. Today, aluminium cans are about 30% lighter than they were 25 years ago. Thinner, stronger sections are now being used with less metal, less energy and more savings in weight. An average aluminium can (without its contents, of course) weighed 16.55 grams in 1992. By 2005 the aluminium can weighed about 14.7 grams."

Thats really cool cause the cans in aussie should be the same as new zealand too, so a 100 to a kilos, thats a fai few
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:47 am
sorry didnt see the post you posted before, my bad
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:48 am
Abstract;

The weight of the aluminum drawn and ironed beverage can (D&I can) has not decreased since the early 1990's in Japan. This paper presents the trend of light-weighting of aluminum D&I cans through the Japanese, USA, and EU markets in 2004, and comments on the light-weighting in the near future in Japan. Japanese aluminum D&I cans are heavier than USA cans by 13.5% (2.1g) and EU cans by 10.5% (1.6g). The difference in the weight is due to the demand for the quality of the cans according to the countries. It is not easy to achieve the further light-weighting with the high demand on quality in Japan. An increase in the strength of the can itself, while maintaining the high-formability and quality of the appearance, is one of the ways for light-weighting. For this, changes in total can production design including can stock properties, can production process, appropriate can specifications and so on are suggested. (author abst.)

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200603/000020060306A0019803.php
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:50 am
Is that enough or do you want something more specific?
0 Replies

Dartboy

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:52 am
Nah Thats awesome, thanks so much Dadpad, thats really helped me out, how did you find those websties? did you google or yahoo?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:59 am
Just weighed a Lemon Fanta can (330ml). I shook out the remaining drops of fluid but didn't dry it. It was just under 14.8 grams.// (aust)

A diet coke can in the US weighed 15.45 gm. So there goes that theory.
bungston, Jul 31 2003

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Aluminum_20can_20shingle

Not just a pretty face am I Kiddo.

Google but you need to keep changing your key word combinations and look past page 1. key words used "aluminium can" weight recycle production USA, in differing combinations.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:00 am
I wonder if their different weight system in the US makes a difference to can size?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:32 am
Quote:
In North America, the standard can size is 12 fluid ounces (355 ml). In India and most of Europe, standard cans are 330 ml. In some European countries there is a second standard can size, which is 500 ml. These larger cans are often used for beer. In Australia the standard can size is 375 ml. South African standard cans are 340 ml although the industry is currently (September 2007) converting to the European 330 ml standard.

Essentially all beverage containers in the United States are manufactured from aluminium, whereas approximately 55 percent of drinks cans made in Europe and Asia are steel, and 45 percent aluminium alloy.

An empty aluminium can weighs approximately 15 grams (0.5 ounce). There are roughly 30 empty aluminium cans to an avoirdupois pound.

Source
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:58 am
That information is good francis However it does not answer the question of different can sizes.

Its possible that they are all the same can size but filled to different levels.

Obviously the 500 ml can would be a different size.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:32 am
Metal Box is UK's main producer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:09 am
In the interest of quality control, Id suggest that you weigh a statistically significnt number of empth and dry cans and then determine a distribution of the weights of AL cans. The process isnt that good that the weights are a constant value.
I nominate dadpad to begin the rsearch by emptying approximately 25 cans of a beverage of choice. Ill do the statistics.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:35 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
The process isnt that good that the weights are a constant value.

I'd bet it is for any balance dadpad is likely to have.

On the other hand, with enough accuracy, irreducible complexity says that no two cans will ever weigh exactly the same.

I've been in a can making plant and a can filling plant (beer) and the processes are amazing. Ridiculous really. Untouched by human hand. Once the 20 tons of hops have been tipped into the chute you don't set eyes on anything again until you pour it out.

You should see cables and exhausts being made.
0 Replies