Holiday Gift Idea: Portable GPS Unit

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 11:14 am
I'm thinking of this kind of device for er, someone I will not name here (it's actually for two someones). These people love to travel so the interest factor is there.

I found this model at Amazon. It's a decent price and well-rated, but even Amazon admits there are some issues with it. But if there's nothing better, it may very well be my choice, or I may end up getting something else (e. g. not a GPS Unit). But let's assume right now that a GPS Unit is the thing.

Here are my parameters, more or less in order of importance:
  1. Price. Nothing above $300, and preferably under $200
  2. Must be a voice unit, e. g. it tells you how to turn. I don't want anyone to have to read while driving. A headset or earphone is a plus for walking.
  3. Ease of use. I don't want anyone to have to carry around a user manual after the first few usages.
  4. Display size. Tiny print won't cut it.
  5. Portability (which conflicts with display size, I know). These people both drive and walk, and might rent a car in a remote location. I'd like for them to have all of these as options.
  6. Ease of getting service on the unit. That usually means a brand name. These people live close to a large town and fairly close to a very large city, but I'd rather that they didn't have to go to the big city if the unit needed repairs. Hence something that's also sold (although I wouldn't necessarily buy it there) at a place like Best Buy.
  7. Ability to enter and save specific addresses (e. g. a friend's house or the museum or whatever). Not a deal breaker; this one is in the category of "nice to have". I think I can live without it if other needs are satisfied.

So -- A2K shoppers -- what do you think? Is the above item a good buy or can I do better? Oh, and another thing -- this is for Chanukah, which comes a couple of weeks before Christmas this year.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,085 • Replies: 16
No top replies

TTH

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 05:53 pm
This one is a little more than you wanted to spend but, it was rated #1 in consumer reports. The one you listed wasn't rated.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Pocket-Vehicle-Navigator-America/dp/B000BKJZ9Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1195601409&sr=1-3#productPromotions
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 07:07 pm
Thank you very much for checking. This one has extras that I think are hiking up the price (a photo viewer, etc.). That's one thing that appealed about the other one, that it was just a GPS unit and nothing more.

It's still a strong possibility that I'll pick up the one I originally looked at, even though it's only mentioned but not rated by CNet. I talked with a friend who has a GPS unit and his main issue was with map updating. Hard to say what the deal will be with this unit, but it can be connected to the 'net -- one would think that means it can be updated in some fashion. He also said the price was very good -- he has a Magellan that he hates and it was $700.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 09:02 am
From U.S. News & World Report:

http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/tech-guide/2007/11/16/a-driving-sense-of-direction.html
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 11:14 am
Oh, I called someone I know that sells different brands of gps units & they said garmin is a good brand but, they don't recommend tom tom. Their company sells both. I mentioned the name of the one you were thinking of and the person said they didn't know about that brand so, they couldn't give any type of recommendation. I saw both companies were named in Noddy24's link. I have never used one so, I can't give you a personal opinion on any brand.

I think it is a good idea to give as a gift but, I get lost if I don't have a map and I am in another state or city. It might be useful for me to get one for myself or I can just stay lost Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 05:32 am
Thanks for checking further. Decided to go with the one I'd selected in the first place. The price on Amazon (I checked on Best Buy and it was higher) had come down to $137.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:39 am
That is a really good price for the technology imo. Can you let us know what you or the person you give it to thinks about it? That is if you remember. I know Christmas is usually hectic for people.
0 Replies

YellowRosebud

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 03:29 pm
If for some reason you end up not being happy with that one, I'd check out the TomTom XL-S. It has text to speech, mapshare and a lot of other features and runs for right under 300 on Amazon.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:00 pm
Thanks, good ideas.

And I'll ask my folks (shhh don't tell them it's for them :wink: ) if they like it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:34 pm
I have the Garmin 750, which I bought when it first came out, so I paid too much for it. Embarrassed

http://www.garminnuvi750.com/

I have only one problem with this unit. Earlier I had a Magellan (which I returned when the software got all screwed up). The Magellan had a "ding-dong" sound, right before a turn was to be made, but it did not announce the address. This one announces the name of the street right before the turn. I understand that some earlier Garmin models had the "ding". I would have like it on this unit.

Anyhow, the important thing with having a GPS is that you never should leave it on the window (or anywhere else in sight) when the car is parked. Thieves love them.

I bought something like the holder that I linked below. The suction cup attaches to it, and you can take it right off when you are not using it, and keep it out of sight. (Remember to wipe off where the unit was attached. Thieves look for round rings in dust)

Link to GPS mount
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:41 am
We got them the Michelin unit and they are currently touring Florida with it. They even named it -- Lisette -- as Michelin is a French company.

Now my mother says that Dad is in love with Lisette.

Maybe I should move this topic to Relationships? :wink:
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:01 am
Thanks for the reply jespah. I am still considering buying one for myself.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:07 am
jespah wrote:
We got them the Michelin unit and they are currently touring Florida with it. They even named it -- Lisette -- as Michelin is a French company.

Now my mother says that Dad is in love with Lisette.

Maybe I should move this topic to Relationships? :wink:

I named our GPS Gwendolyn, but Mr. P. insists on calling her "Wendy". I think that Gwendolyn is so much more elegant.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 03:31 pm
Interesting, isn't it, that GPS's, like ships, take feminine names?

Of course we all know the cliches about men and asking directions.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 04:14 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Of course we all know the cliches about men and asking directions.
My nephew received a Garmin for Christmas. I said guys don't need directions so can I have it? He said "NO", then went outside with it to pick up the satellite signal and the device said he was in Kansas Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 05:07 am
Ha, that's great.

My uncle had what was the first one I had ever seen. He was in the car biz and this was years ago. He called his Brunhilde, and it had a vaguely German accent.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 05:28 am
That's very funny, TTH.

Gwendelyn... Wendy... Yeah, I'm not so sure he needs to be getting so comfortable with this GPS and acting like they are just friends or somethin. Can it be changed to a male voice? Sven, perhaps?

The car Thomas rented when he came to visit had GPS. It took adjusting to having this woman interrup conversation, but I guess that's better than missing a turn due to my chat chat chatting.
0 Replies