Can Prince Control The Internet?

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 12:16 pm
As a life-long Prince fan, I have been very disappointed to hear about his recent shenanigans trying to control the use of his image / music / video clips on the internet.

His lawyers have forced his three biggest internet fansites to remove all photographs, images, lyrics, album covers and anything linked to his likeness.

All three fansites have now joined forces to make Prince Fans United (PFU :wink: ) to fight against this.

I feel he has gone too far and no doubt he will lose some fans over this. What do you think? Can he ever possible control the internet?

(All his video clips were removed from You Tube some time ago).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,693 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 12:37 pm
i think a true Prince fan would support him in this endeavor...
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 12:40 pm
What a ridiculous thing to say. I wouldn't support anybody who tried to sue me.

Being a fan does not mean I have to agree with everything he does if I think it's wrong.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 12:45 pm
no, ridiculous is calling yourself a "fansite" dedicated to someone you are planning on suing...
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 12:46 pm
No, Rolling Eyes

he is threatening to sue the fansites.

Pay attention region philbis!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 01:45 pm
DP,

i am paying attention... are you?

my point is very simple:

Prince (for whatever bizarre reson) does not want his photos, images, lyrics, album covers, etc. posted on the fansites.

therefore, as fans of Prince, you should abide by his wishes -- no questions asked...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 02:01 pm
Princey thanks the offshore support team for cleaning up the online content in question.

http://www.priu.gov.lk/news_update/Images/2005/Saudi_Prince_Alwaleed_Bin.jpg
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 02:11 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
DP,

i am paying attention... are you?

my point is very simple:

Prince (for whatever bizarre reson) does not want his photos, images, lyrics, album covers, etc. posted on the fansites.

therefore, as fans of Prince, you should abide by his wishes -- no questions asked...

Why's that then?
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 05:38 am
My mini dictionary describes "FAN" as.....
inf. n. devoted admirer.

devote...give up exclusively (to person,purpose,etc)
admire...regard with approval,respect or wonder.

So,over the years,he has approved of,and used the internet to his own means.We,as fans,have appreciated that.
The man has a plan! He isn't doing this for no reason.
As a TRUE fan,ride along with him.He believes he knows where he's going,and as fans,so should we,because without us,where would he be Cool .
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 05:51 am
Maybe he was just having a manic Monday..
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:35 am
Quote:
as fans of Prince, you should abide by his wishes -- no questions asked...

i really should have taken my pants off when he told me to then.

honestly, being a fan isn't unconditional, if a celebrity is being a jerk why shouldn't it be recognized? i'm not saying his wishes are all unreasonable either, but if he thinks they are important enough to create a new culture of censorship on the internet he's being very hypocritical.

musicians require two things to survive (that is, to continue to exist...) one is the right to take existing content and "redo" it. rock muscians know what i mean. the other is to express themselves. i'm not saying that people have the abosolute right to take any content they want and do whatever. but there is something like that, to a point, and copyright exists mostly so that people can make money, not to silence people or prevent expression.

is prince low on funds? or is he being an idiot, or a shill? i still respect his work, he's still cool, but perhaps he's being a bit unreasonable. we don't have to understand or approve of everything he does, and by comparison, he probably wouldn't be much of an artist if we did.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:58 am
Hey, tinygiraffe, what's your story? Have we met?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:42 am
barrythemod wrote:
My mini dictionary describes "FAN" as.....
inf. n. devoted admirer.

devote...give up exclusively (to person,purpose,etc)
admire...regard with approval,respect or wonder.

So,over the years,he has approved of,and used the internet to his own means.We,as fans,have appreciated that.
The man has a plan! He isn't doing this for no reason.
As a TRUE fan,ride along with him.He believes he knows where he's going,and as fans,so should we,because without us,where would he be Cool .

Yeah the man has a plan! Or at least his lawyer / representatives do; to threaten people with legal action if they show their Prince-inspired tattoos or car license plates on the internet.

Do me a favour.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:00 am
The man seems to be manic about having control since his Warner Bros. nightmare from years back. Can't blame him too much for that. He sold his soul, and his name, to the devil and had to crawl through the muck to get it back.

There's a method to this recent madness, I'm sure. We just don't know what it is yet. But if he doesn't want his photos and such used on other websites, that really is his perogative.

(I guess I'm a real Prince fan, eh RP?) :wink:

By the way, is there a link to this story? I hadn't heard a word about it.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:54 am
Well I guess there are many definitions of what a "real" fan is (it's usually people who aren't Prince fans that feel they have the definitive definition).

There are many links but don't know how to post them eoe. You could try looking at the Guardian website in the Uk. They ran a story about it yesterday.

Funny how he didn't start with all this business in earnest before he started selling tickets for his London 21 night residency.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 11:26 am
Sounds like you have a theory, DP. Care to share?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:19 pm
I think Prince is in danger of disappearing up his own arse.

Doesn't do to alienate the fans.

x
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:24 pm
eoe wrote:
Sounds like you have a theory, DP. Care to share?

My theory is quite simple.

He wouldn't have sold half as many tickets if this had blown up before his 21 nights in London residency.

I am a member of 2 of the three fansites mentioned and the majority of people on there do not agree with what he is doing at the moment but I'm pretty sure they would still call themselves fans regardless of what barry's little dictionary says.

Smile
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:41 pm
You guys do sound like fans in the true sense, as in fanatical. Let the man keep his image under control if that's what he wants. Don't you all have enough pictures of him to sustain you??? I'd say twenty-five years of pix should sustain anyone.

Seriously tho', my guess is, now that he's older, alot of shots aren't quite as flattering as ten or twenty years ago when he was just incapable of taking a bad picture. More than likely, he wants approval of all images of himself now. It's an ego thing but, he's never been accused of not having one, that's for sure.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:41 pm
There are never enough pictures for me.
0 Replies