Overweight people have a lower death rate

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 08:40 am
Interesting article.

I am considering using Manson's quote as part of my sig. Whaddaya think?

Quote:
full article at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/health/07fat.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1194438040-WQ8KzBIizxq%20luYBavokrw&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 821 • Replies: 14
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 08:42 am
I think you should give up the Twinkies.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:57 pm
Further investigation will reveal that overweight people have exactly the same death rate as everyone else. 100%
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 07:14 pm
Aw- come on. That's interesting.

The only question is whether the science is correct.

Is it research, federal or not, funded by fast food trade organisations for example.

Is the step from "overweight" to "obese" like that some claim is as easy as the step from dope to heroin?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 07:27 pm
Overweight is not the same as obese:

Quote:

CANCERS LINKED TO OBESITY
Womb
Oesophagus
Bowel
Kidney
Leukaemia
Breast
Multiple myeloma (bone marrow)
Pancreatic
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
Ovarian

BBC

I always new that being about the current target body mass index wasn't a terrible thing. I'm at the top of my BMI range and feeling like I need to slim down. But, as long as I don't keep gaining I'll be content about my weight. Now, if I could just get myself to start exercising.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 12:16 pm
contrex wrote:
I think you should give up the Twinkies.

But not the snickerdoodles?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 01:01 pm
i choose a good looking corpse....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:32 pm
How come you never see elderly people who are obese?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:20 pm
I'm afraid I do, Green Witch, though they may not be as old as they look. Still, we all die.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:32 pm
roger wrote:
I'm afraid I do, Green Witch, though they may not be as old as they look. Still, we all die.

I'm not challenging your observations Roger, but my MIL is 84 and she goes to a senior center where the average age is probably around 75. There are a few hundred members and none of them are obese. Some have spreads around the middle and sagging faces, but they are not obese in the true sense of the word. I do think being morbidly overweight ages a body faster than just being chubby. I have seen obese people in nursing homes, but it's because of their obesity and not an illness related to age. I'm sure there are statistics on this somewhere and my observations are not scientific fact, but I also spend a part of each year in Florida and rarely see an obese person much past 65. Go figure.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:02 am
As you age you often lose muscle mass and that makes dragging an obese body around problematic. My grandmother lived to the age of 84 but rarely left her house as she was very large. Dr's appts or blood tests had to be coordinated with trips in an ambulance as she was too weak to leave the house any other way. Her days were spent lying down or sitting in a big armchair. Luckily she had her "programs" (radio) for company as she refused to move to a senior's complex. She had home help for light cleaning and of course my mom and uncle (and uncle's wife) were at her beck and call but it must have been a lonely existence in many ways as she wasn't a reader and eventually did not have the energy to even knit (once a great passion).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:18 am
That's was tough, I'm sure, for your grandmother, Tai chi.

On this thread, it wasn't originally about obesity, but the zone called "overweight", re people with a bmi of 25 to 30.

Mine is now down to 25.2. Damn, just as I'm moving toward "normal", "overweight" is seemingly better.

To me, this is just one more study, but may have implications. It IS probably better to stay a steady if somewhat overweight weight and to be in good physical condition otherwise, than to yoyo diet ad infinitum. That's my two cents, no immediate data to back up zee opinion, as I'm busy chasing egg shampoo recipes.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:17 pm
Make your own osso- it's cheaper an easier.

Two eggs in a pint of rainwater.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:18 pm
Don't refrigerate though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:07 pm
That's my point, making my own. There's even a thread on this.
0 Replies