Is it bad for dogs to eat cat food?

Aldistar

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 05:03 pm
dogs should be kept away from cat food!

It has much more protein in it than dog food. Over time the dog will begin to develope kidney problems if allowed to regularly eat cat food.

Also cats will not gain the correct amount of nutrition from dog food which can cause all sorts of health problems down the road.

If the dog does a walk by snarfing of the cat bowl every now and then (like mine does whenever he can) it won't do any long term harm. You will notice the results in the poopy department, however. Shocked

But do try to keep them away from each others food. I am not sure if this includes can cat food, but most definitely the dry food.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 02:57 am
patiodog wrote:

It's not easy having a dog and a cat together, since they've got such different eating habits, and cats are better off browsing at food throughout the day than they are eating big meals. Ideally, the cat's food would live somewhere the dog can't get at it -- which is easy enough to arrange if you've got a big adult dog, but a lot harder with a puppy or a small dog.

I bought a cat play house with a level that the dog can't reach, that's where the cat food now resides.

Harry, the dog, would obediently eat his food while I watched and scarf down all the cat food as soon as I left. The cat would then be left to eat the dog food that Harry no longer was interested in.

So now, the food's out of his reach and that's settled.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 09:55 pm
Great solution! I'll have to remember that one...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 03:03 pm
patiodog wrote:
Great solution! I'll have to remember that one...

It's.am.elegamt.ome.all.right.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 03:13 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
I bought a cat play house with a level that the dog can't reach, that's where the cat food now resides.

That's a great approach!

I've seen people put the cat food on the counter or kitchen table which always seemed cringe-worthy to me.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 03:24 pm
I have a small table, not quite counter height, in the pantry. Nothing but cat food and water on that table.

We used to live with a dog. The dog is no longer around but the cat and I continue on this way. It's nice not not having to bend down to feed or water her. And the cat gets a window view, and the pantry step stool to get to the table.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:16 pm
It's a less elegant solution since the dog has figured out how to climb up into it somehow. I'm not sure how he does it and he can't get out once he gets in so now it's a bigger problem. I just either find him in there munching away or I hear him whining to get out once he's polished it off. He may be getting in on the bottom level and climbing up, so we moved it so that the bottom level's doors are blocked but then he got up again. I'm not sure if it was because of a box near the house that he climbed on but it's a new problem to solve.

I want to buy a cat tree and put the food there, but I've only found one in the whole country and it costs $500 despite being broken so I don't have a lot of options, any decent pet stuff is about twice the price as it is in the US and not nearly as nice.

Stupid Harry! I wish he didn't like cat food.

At least in the good news department I found a covered cat litter box that he doesn't get into, he used to eat the cat poop in an uncovered litter box we had, and I had to put a cardboard box around it with a hole only big enough for her. The covered litter box's opening is large enough for him but he hasn't been eating the crunchy (litter) brown treats so at least that is solved.

Now the biggest problem is that the cat has begun to shed, and my girlfriend is already a fanatic about lint...

These bastards are a god-awful amount of work....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:38 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
It's a less elegant solution since the dog has figured out how to climb up into it somehow. I'm not sure how he does it and he can't get out once he gets in so now it's a bigger problem. I just either find him in there munching away or I hear him whining to get out once he's polished it off. He may be getting in on the bottom level and climbing up, so we moved it so that the bottom level's doors are blocked but then he got up again. I'm not sure if it was because of a box near the house that he climbed on but it's a new problem to solve.

I want to buy a cat tree and put the food there, but I've only found one in the whole country and it costs $500 despite being broken so I don't have a lot of options, any decent pet stuff is about twice the price as it is in the US and not nearly as nice.

Stupid Harry! I wish he didn't like cat food.

At least in the good news department I found a covered cat litter box that he doesn't get into, he used to eat the cat poop in an uncovered litter box we had, and I had to put a cardboard box around it with a hole only big enough for her. The covered litter box's opening is large enough for him but he hasn't been eating the crunchy (litter) brown treats so at least that is solved.

Now the biggest problem is that the cat has begun to shed, and my girlfriend is already a fanatic about lint...

These bastards are a god-awful amount of work....

The soft plastic brushes with the big teeth are great.

You have to be careful not to make bald spots, though.

These:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/shop_dev/assets/new_product_images//happypets/zoomgroom_cat.jpg

Cat towers are super simple....can you or someone else make one???

You're hilarious as a doting owner, you know.

Goddess help us when you have a kid!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:14 am
I just told the gal that if she doesn't want the cat hair everywhere she should brush the cat (she's more of a dog person and the love for the cat has come slowly).

And I've been planning to have a cat-tree built. For $500 in Costa Rica I should be able to get a bitchin' tree.

Yeah, the doting is amusing to myself as well. You should have seen how happy I was when Harry developed his balls. He'd had a big tuft of fur there but no balls and within the last 2 weeks he developed the cutest little balls.

Hope he doesn't get too attached to them...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:16 am
If you let the dog eat the cat food he will start to tear up the upholstery, disappear for days at a time, make your eyes swell shut, and in general ignore you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:53 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
I just told the gal that if she doesn't want the cat hair everywhere she should brush the cat (she's more of a dog person and the love for the cat has come slowly).

And I've been planning to have a cat-tree built. For $500 in Costa Rica I should be able to get a bitchin' tree.

Yeah, the doting is amusing to myself as well. You should have seen how happy I was when Harry developed his balls. He'd had a big tuft of fur there but no balls and within the last 2 weeks he developed the cutest little balls.

Hope he doesn't get too attached to them...

Shocked

No......it never pays to become TOO attached to one's gonads.

Actually, I confess, I find your doting quite charming. They ARE great fun, the critters. It's good to watch someone else enjoying theirs.

For $500 you ought to be able to get a "bitchin' tree" ANYWHERE!!!

I had a massive one until Oscar died (that was way cheaper than that)....when I was, with great relief, able to throw it out and get a small one. They are, to my mind, as attractive as a christmas tree made from turds.
0 Replies