I want to make something new, but i need help.

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 05:14 pm
Hi, um, i just was thinking about hoverboards and wondering why no one has come out with one,personally im not all that bright so bear with me. I don't know very many theries made in science so far but how would i go about making one of these, i want to make one that uses supplies i can easily get my hands on. nothing illegal or to be bought on the internet, but runs on things like batteries,and/or a tiny bit of fuel. i like the simple concept of hot air rising and i would think that if theres enough hot air trying to go up but the open end of a hollow object attatched to whatevers making the hot air is in the way, wouldn't it just lift the object too? so i was thinking if there was a say, there were two 6 blade propellers with a diameter of 7 inches each on the bottom of a board the same as a skateboard, in the hollows of a 1 1/2 inch thick board and the center point of each propeller gave off a massive amount of heat twoards the bottom of the board. then, to make the board move vertically, a tube with a motor and several fast movingpropellers with a diameter of 21/2 inches. how much if any weight would this thing lift and what is wrong with my thinking. what would be a good thing to change to make this work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 704 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 06:02 am
Re: I want to make something new, but i need help.
freakyfroggers42 wrote:
Hi, um, i just was thinking about hoverboards and wondering why no one has come out with one,personally im not all that bright so bear with me.

Tons of people have, but they don't work well because of technological and physical limitations.

The most legitimate product out there is a personal hovercraft called the "Airboard".

http://www.airboard.com.au/

Quote:
I don't know very many theries made in science so far but how would i go about making one of these, i want to make one that uses supplies i can easily get my hands on. nothing illegal or to be bought on the internet, but runs on things like batteries,and/or a tiny bit of fuel.

There are no supplies easy to get your hands on that are capable of making a hoverboard. This is because the physical challenges of making one have not been legitimately met by any of the most advanced technology known to man, thusly there is no commodity hardware available to you to do so.

Quote:
i like the simple concept of hot air rising and i would think that if theres enough hot air trying to go up but the open end of a hollow object attatched to whatevers making the hot air is in the way, wouldn't it just lift the object too? so i was thinking if there was a say, there were two 6 blade propellers with a diameter of 7 inches each on the bottom of a board the same as a skateboard,...

Nothing the size of a skateboard will hold enough hot air to lift a person. It takes a god-awful amount of hot air. Think hot-air balloons for reference.

Quote:
in the hollows of a 1 1/2 inch thick board and the center point of each propeller gave off a massive amount of heat twoards the bottom of the board. then, to make the board move vertically, a tube with a motor and several fast movingpropellers with a diameter of 21/2 inches. how much if any weight would this thing lift and what is wrong with my thinking. what would be a good thing to change to make this work?

Hot air provides lift by being lighter than cold air. Propellers can provide lift by providing thrust. Combining the two won't do much to provide additional thrust. And there's no engine/propeller with your specifications that will lift a human that way.

You should be looking towards electro magnetics and hovercrafts, but it wouldn't work everywhere in the case of the magnetics and the hovercraft is just silly at that size.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:16 pm
They have problems with brakes, too.
0 Replies