Feral Cat with URI

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 05:47 pm
@cnikula,
Hi, cnikula. I hope you connect with Seizan - http://able2know.org/user/seizan/

He may be busy for good reasons, but may have views.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 05:50 pm
@cnikula,
Hi, cnikula. I hope you connect with Seizan - http://able2know.org/user/seizan/

He may be busy for good reasons, but may have views.

From me, not Seizan, did you bring him in? you might need to learn about the nature of some medical experiences.
cnikula

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 10:32 am
@ossobucotemp,
One morning when I went to feed them I saw he was getting worse so I picked him up and put him in my carrier-no scratching biting because he knows me but it was a Monday and I couldn't find a place to take him in so I had to take him back to his colony. The next day I thought screw it I'll take him to the vet and hope it doesn't cost me much so I had an appt and when I went to go get him he ran from me and I've yet to be able to catch him. He probably was thinking not again you crazy cat lady. I've been thinking of giving all of them this stuff called ViBactra. I'm at a loss as to what to do because most in this colony are 5-6 months old.
CowDoc

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 10:30 am
@cnikula,
Keep in mind that a large number of URI's in cats, especially feral ones, are a feline herpesvirus infection. Simply put, that means you can often clear it up with almost any antibiotic - for a while. It almost always recurs - and recurs - and recurs.
0 Replies

jennifer wilsom

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2017 09:26 pm
i have a cat that i used to go throu hell giving her meds, untill i found pill pouches. they work great. its a real strong cat treat that is soft and hollow. you put pill or powder in middle and pintch closed. no problem with tapeworm pills any more. she eats the treat and never knows a pill was in there, but every once in while she bites it just wrong. they dont chew there food very well so they just miss it. they also make some that comes in a jar so you can make any size treat you want. smaller the better thou.

how much of the fish erythromycin do you give adult cat?

good luck and thanks, jen
0 Replies

Cynthia Carey

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 05:07 pm
@Chai,
The poor kitty with cold symptoms needs to have Lysine, sometimes called L-lysine. It is available without a prescription and inexpensive at the drugstore or Walmart ($4 for a big bottle at Walmart) It is in the vitamin section. It is safe and antiviral and strengthens their immune system. An adult kitty should get 500mg 2 times a day. It comes in tablets of different strengths, 500, 1000, which can be crushed and mixed into their food, or pilled or mixed w/water and given by syringe or eyedropper in side of mouth. My kitties don't mind the somewhat salty taste. If he does, try starting with a lower dose and slowly increase to correct amt. It can be increased to 1,500 per day for severe cases. Should be given every 12 hrs. (eaten throughout day mixed in food is okay). It is given a few days longer than symptoms. It's safe and they don't become resistant to it or anything. You can give a lower dose to your other cats to help protect them, as well. You can Google for more details about giving to cats.
Also, clean off his nose everyday, if possible. Cats won't eat what they can't smell, and can get a terrible liver disease if they don't eat for a few days.
Blessings to you both...
0 Replies