Jobs for dogs: puppy training.

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:57 pm
My puppy, Diamond, is now 13 weeks old and has mastered a few basic behaviors and commands. As he is a mix of herding breeds I'm trying to think up jobs he can do to keep him busy and keep his brain occupied.

I've always had companion breeds who were happy with a walk and a cuddle, I'm not really sure how to go about "job training".

Here's a job I thought up:

Mo (this is his dog) has two suitcases -- one is filled with trains and one is filled with trucks. Trucks and trains get scattered all over the playroom. I thought it would be fun, and useful, to train Diamond to pick up the trains and trucks and put them in the appropriate suitcase.

My question is how do I set up the right kind of sequence of events to train Diamond to do this?

What other jobs might be good for Diamond to learn?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 915 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:06 pm
I won't be any help on this (I was Pacco's job), but I''m going to enjoy listening to responses...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:16 pm
My initial response is "hmmm, are they metal vehicles?" and my mouth got all copper flavored. Then my second response was, "How could a dog distinguish from trains and trucks?"

I'm sure someone could train some dog to do this, but I'm not at all sure it'd be feasible by me, for one. More power to ya if you can do it, Boomer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:19 pm
Boomer, have you ever done any work with clicker training?

If not, it's worth finding out if a nearby PetSmart is offering any one-off clicker intro sessions. It really helps with this kind of project (especially if your working against the dog's instinct - you've got a herder you're trying to teach retrieving).

When Bailey was young, I taught him to put his toys into his crate at night - to the instruction of "tidy-up time".

~~~

I'd recommend that you proceed fairly slowly with this - Diamond's still a pup , and most of his 'work' should still be mostly social. He's not going to be mentally or physically mature for some time.

~~~

A friend of mine has trained her German Shepherd to pick up anything she (or anyone else who knows the right instructions) drops. Very helpful on a cold snowy night to have a dog who'll pick up your mittens or keys for you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:45 pm
I started thinking of this because he really loves playing fetch. He also knows where his toys are kept and he will get the one he wants to play with. He likes to gather up the laundry and put it in piles -- he does a pretty good job of this but, unfortunately, our clothes are showing a bit of puppy chewing activity.

Right now his job is excercize and play but he seems to be getting to a point where he wants more of a "job" and I'm unsure of where to direct that energy.

I saw something not long ago about clicker training. Maybe I'll look into that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:48 pm
boom, have you checked out any sites on how they train, for instance, service dogs?

Just an idea.

I'm sorry, what kind of breed is Diamond again?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:51 pm
Truthfully, I thought it was kind of crazy when I first heard about clicker training.

Then our trainer brought in an Am Staff she'd recently picked up at a pound and taught him something new in less than an hour. Shocked It was brilliant. I'm not a fan of dog 'tricks', but learning something useful with the clicker ... a real wowser.

Boomer, there are a number of PetSmart's in your general area - and I really recommend them for training - they're quite advanced in adjusting techniques for specific dogs (I hate hate hate trainers who use one-size-fits-all-dogs-or-there's-something-wrong-with-the-dog techniques).

I think the main PetSmart instructor training facility is near you - they do really good work.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:07 pm
Diamond is a mix of border collie and Australian shepard.... and maybe a little something else as his mother was of unknown parentage and border collies don't really have a specific look to them. (I typically call him a "mut" but I've been instructed not to do that in a rather upsetting way.)

A few people who have met Diamond have commented "how does it feel to have a dog that is smarter than you?" Truly, he's smart. At this age he is unruly and smart so I want to direct some of his energy.

There is a PetSmart near my house! That's where I buy my pet food.

Dog training is a big deal up here so I wouldn't be surprised if they had a training facility around here. There is a big training center for Guide Dogs for the Blind nearby and I think the women's prison also does service dog training.

I have heard that you really shouldn't start training until they reach about six months but with this dog I think that might be too late!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:11 pm
Boomer, PetSmart starts with puppy training - I'd recommend talking to the main instructor at the store near you - they can assess Diamond and help you figure out the best approach.

Bailey was a comparatively easy dog to train. Cleo had a LOT of issues to overcome - they helped me work out different approaches for different situations - and I can still drop in for free advice (never an option with the local private schools around here). I think it's worth the money to get some basic training classes (also helps with the dog-dog socialization - nothing sadder - to me - than a dog that doesn't know how to have dog friends).
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 08:03 pm
Your dogs job is to do what it is asked to do. Obedience training first of all.

Mo's job is to train him. This is good for both boy and dog.

Sit, drop, stay, come, heel, when he (both of them) have mastered these commands and will react first time, every time and in company of other animals, move on to bigger and better things.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:46 pm
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X6FCTQ2NL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

the best book on living with dogs i have ever read.

two paws up a wag of the tail for it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:00 pm
Oh wow!

I had a book by the monks when I got my first and very lovely dog. I can't remember the title now but that wasn't it. It was a fabulous book. I'll look for that one.

Diamond is about to hit the four month mark and he is a holy terror. I expected this but it doesn't make it any easier!
0 Replies