BBB won't answer her phone anymore, too much bad news

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:45 pm
First a tree fell on him and nearly killed him last month. I'm not going to answer the telephone any more because it's always more bad news than I can take. My heart is broken for my wonderful son, Stuart, and his loving A2K member sister, Butrflynet.

My 51 year old son just told me he was just diagnosed as having severe stage 3 Emphysema COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a progressive disease which is characterised by airflow limitation that is not fully reversible. The airflow limitation is associated with inflammation in the lungs caused primarily by tobacco smoke, but also by air pollution or other noxious particles or gases.

Severe Emphysema Stage 3

FEV1 lung function is less than 35 percent of normal lung function. The patient's quality of life is impacted profoundly, and the disease may be life-threatening. Stage 3 is considered to be a "severe" stage.
Severe COPD can be treated with one or more bronchodilators, inhaled glucocorticosteroids, and inhaled anticholinergics. Although, theophylline may be added to the therapy if beta-agonists and anticholinergics have not suppressed the COPD symptoms. Oxygen and mucus thinners, such as guaifenasic may also be prescribed when COPD is severe.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,802 • Replies: 68
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 03:01 pm
I'm sorry about this, BBB and Butrflynet.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:49 pm
BBB- Oh honey, I am so sorry. What can I say? **** happens. All we can do is go on with our lives.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:50 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I'm sorry about this, BBB and Butrflynet.

Ditto.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:07 pm
Damn BBB, I am so sorry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:13 pm
I'd have to research now, BBB, and of course you two will, but I seem to remember our old friend Harvey living a long time with a lower percentage than 35%, with a lot of other illnesses, and without the pharmaceuticals they have now. Still, I know it's a blow.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:18 pm
I'm so sorry too. But I'm glad it's not pulmonary fibrosis.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:08 pm
I'm very sorry too. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:16 pm
Osso
Osso, I've been trying to learn if it is possible to replace only one lung rather than both if my son can't receive a doner from the lung list's long waiting line. If one lung replacement would prolong and make easier my son's life, if that was possible, I would donate a lung if I'm not too old.

BBB
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:17 pm
BBB and Butrflynet - I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sending very positive thoughts your way (and his), and will do this daily. Don't give up, that's the important thing, and cherish every moment.

HUGS.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:19 pm
A warning
A warning to young people entering employment where they are exposed to ground dust, chemicals such as fertilizers, etc., that they need to wear protective masks to prevent inhaling all that crap that can destroy their lungs.

My son is only 51 and his many years of exposure has damaged his lungs.

BBB
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:45 pm
Oh dear Ms. Boogie,

It is heartbreaking to hear such sad news. But I will pray (and chant) that the higher power of your understanding will give you the love and strength within you to be with your son through these difficult times.

You are a wonderful, loving person. That comes through loud and clear in your postings. My best to your daughter. She too, I know will be supportive and loving.

Sg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:55 pm
Sglass
Sglass wrote:
Oh dear Ms. Boogie,
It is heartbreaking to hear such sad news. But I will pray (and chant) that the higher power of your understanding will give you the love and strength within you to be with your son through these difficult times.
You are a wonderful, loving person. That comes through loud and clear in your postings. My best to your daughter. She too, I know will be supportive and loving.
Sg

Thanks. It's very hard on my daughter because she stayed in California while the rest of my family moved to Albuquerque. Being so far away is tough.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:59 pm
Butrflynet
Butrflynet found some excellent sites with good information that increases our hope for her brother:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/copd/treatment.html

Specifically:

Another option is lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS). In LVRS the surgeon removes small wedges of damaged tissue, usually 20 to 30 percent of each lung. Removing some damaged air sacs reduces the size of the lungs. As a result, the diaphragm contracts and relaxes more effectively and efficiently, and air exchange improves.

Results of a large clinical trial, called the National Emphysema Treatment Trial (in which Mayo Clinic participated), showed that LVRS can improve the lung function of many people with emphysema. The findings of the five-year trial were published in the May 22, 2003, edition of the New England Journal of Medicine.

I'll see if I can find that article in the NEJM at the library using the online catalog.

I wouldn't consider this "alternative" medicine advice...it's common sense advice that works every day and should be followed every day whether sick or not but you should review it to see if there's anything you are not doing that you could be doing now as a supplement to medical treatment.

http://www.yourhealthinformation.com/library/healthguide/en-us/Cam/topic.asp?hwid=hn-1196001

Lots info here:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/copdchronicobstructivepulmonarydisease.html#cat27

Be sure to check out the section on clinical trials. There are a lot of them and could be an anternative way of getting coverage for medical treatment when needed.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 08:44 pm
BBB, I'm glad you are doing this research. Doctors, I have found, will take you and your son more seriously if they know that you have informed yourself about his condition and his possible options.
Hang in there. I think I know how you feel, given the experiences I have had with close ones. You're a strong gal with lots of energy, and that should benefit your son tremendously
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:37 pm
Sorry to hear this, BBB. It's always something. I hope things turn out well.

(My hoper has been in high gear lately.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 12:32 am
I'm really sorry to hear this worrying news, BBB.

Like Roberta, I hope things turn out well for your son (& also, of course, for those who care about him & want to see him well.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 06:02 am
Show everything you find to every doctor on his team.
Be persistant.

Love you lady.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:30 am
Sorry to hear about this BBB. Im a few years older but Ive also noticed decreased lung function due to all the blasting and rock knocking. I go through a med screening every quarter now because our safety procedures are dictated by my insurance coverage.

I have a nother field geologist who has emphysema also and he works in the field with an inhaler and he carries a bottle of oxygen in his car should he need it. Hes not too limited in his functions and has learned to live with it by losing weight and keeping his exercise level up so that hes able to be more efficient in his respiration. Hope surgery isnt needed for your son.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:56 am
BBB--

I'm so worry. A mother's worry is never done, is it?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » BBB won't answer her phone anymore, too much bad news
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 12:12:20