Phony dentist puts ill patient out on Brookly street

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:59 am
Phony dentist puts ill patient out on Brooklyn street

BY CHRISTINA BOYLE, OREN YANIV and TINA MOORE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Friday, October 26th 2007, 4:00 AM

Colette Villemin, 71, was found outside Brooklyn office of supposed dentist...

Colette Villemin, 71, was found outside Brooklyn office of supposed dentist...
...Alexander Poperetchny after she had gone for an appointment and apparently suffered an attack in the dental chair.

...Alexander Poperetchny after she had gone for an appointment and apparently suffered an attack in the dental chair.

A bogus Brooklyn dentist dumped a 71-year-old woman onto the curb like garbage after she began foaming at the mouth and lost consciousness in his chair, police said Thursday.

Colette Villemin was on life support at Coney Island Hospital Thursday with heart and brain damage. She was rushed to the hospital Tuesday after a street vendor found her on the sidewalk and flagged down cops.

"I cried all day Thursday. Now I'm just angry," said Villemin's daughter-in-law Lisa Raynor, 41. "I don't want this to happen to anyone else. The dentist carried her downstairs cold and blue and left her on the sidewalk."

Villemin had gone to Dr. Alexander Poperetchny's office in Brighton Beach on Tuesday at 4 p.m. to have bridgework done, her relatives said.

When she didn't return to her Manhattan home by 10p.m., her husband, George Raynor, called his son, also named George, and they began scouring city hospitals.

About 1 a.m. the Raynors found "a Jane Doe in her 50s" who had been taken to Coney Island Hospital. The woman, who was on life support, turned out to be Villemin.

"She was in perfect shape," Lisa Raynor said. "They just didn't understand why her heart stopped."

Wednesday morning, the younger George Raynor went to Alma Family Dental Services on Brighton Beach Blvd. and spoke to a woman working at a store on the ground floor of the dental office. She said she saw the dentist put a woman, his mom, on the street.

"The dentist brought her down," the woman told him. "She was sitting on the sidewalk and they closed the door."

Primitivo Ahuatl, 31, the food vendor who found Villemin on Tuesday, said she was slouched on a stoop, her mouth foaming. "Her eyes were closed, her face was too red," he said.

The younger Raynor said he went to Poperetchny's office and confronted another doctor leaving with a bag of documents. "I tried to stop him, but he didn't want to talk to me," the son said.

The son stayed in the hallway crying hysterically until Poperetchny, who police say is not a licensed dentist, came out to talk to him.

"He said, 'How's Colette? How's she doing?'" Raynor said.

But then the dentist broke down and said, "I'm so sorry. I got scared. I'm sorry."

When cops arrived moments later, Poperetchny, 47, began throwing pages from an appointment diary out the window, Raynor said.

Poperetchny was arrested and arraigned on charges of reckless endangerment and unlawful practice, a Brooklyn district attorney's office spokesman said.

A police source said cops were at the office with a search warrant Thursday. The source said Villemin may have had an allergic reaction to peroxide.

Raynor said his mother got sick at another appointment with the bogus dentist about eight months ago, but she didn't need medical care.

"I really felt that he was sorry about it," Raynor said. "But it's too late now. Sorry doesn't make her come back."

"This did not have to happen. ... She was so sweet and innocent."
NYDAilyNews
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 868 • Replies: 0
No top replies