revel

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 08:30 am
Quote:
Presidential candidate John McCain, who was a prisoner of war in Vietnam, said Sunday, "Anyone who says they don't know if waterboarding is torture or not has no experience in the conduct of warfare and national security. This is a fundamental about America. It isn't about an interrogation technique. It isn't about whether someone is really harmed or not. It's about what kind of nation we are. We are a nation that takes the high moral ground. If we engage in a practice that was invented in the Spanish Inquisition, which was used by Pol Pot in Cambodia in that great genocide, is now being used on Buddhist monks in Burma ... how do we keep the moral high ground in the world?"

source

Quote:
"Anyone who knows what waterboarding is could not be unsure. It is a horrible torture technique used by Pol Pot and being used on Buddhist monks as we speak," said McCain after a campaign stop at Dordt College here.

"People who have worn the uniform and had the experience know that this is a terrible and odious practice and should never be condoned in the U.S. We are a better nation than that."

source

I haven't been keeping up with this stuff as much I used to; so does anyone know how he actually comes down on the Mukasey vote? I know for awhile Feingold was going to vote for him but changed his mind and that Schumer is still going to vote for Mukasey despite being "uncomfortable" with the waterboarding issue. But I can't find anything where it says for sure how McCain is going to vote. If he still votes for Mukasey after releasing those very profound statements on the issue of waterboarding; well; I guess he has sold his soul for the GOP which I have been thinking for some time now. But then comes along and say something like those quotes up above and it just gets me sick that someone who feels like that is willing to compromise in order to get votes. If he compromises in order to get votes; he will compromise in order to keep votes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:19 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A majority of Americans consider waterboarding a form of torture, but some of those say it's OK for the U.S. government to use the technique, according to a poll released Tuesday.

Michael Mukasey said waterboarding is repugnant, but he stopped short of saying it was torture.

Asked whether they think waterboarding is a form of torture, more than two-thirds of respondents, or 69 percent, said yes; 29 percent said no.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/06/waterboard.poll/

This reappearing 20% to 30% ought to be decorated with a scarlet letter.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:41 am
The National Review will be found in which of those two groups?

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZjNkYmU2NWVlOWE4MTU5MjhiOGNmMWUwMjdjZjU2ZjA

"Waterboarding is something of which every American should be proud."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:55 am
http://www.harpers.org/media/image/blogs/misc/waterboarding-definition-wikipedia24dec05a.jpg
1556 woodcut "water torture" Antwerp
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:56 am
That woodcut accompanies this following piece. Read only if you think that many of this administration really ought to be in jail.
http://www.harpers.org/subjects/NoComment
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 02:39 pm
Video and transcript. Olbermann: On Waterboarding and Torture

"It is a fact startling in its cynical simplicity and it requires cynical and simple words to be properly expressed: The presidency of George W. Bush has now devolved into a criminal conspiracy to cover the ass of George W. Bush." http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/110607A.shtml "Now if that's what this is all about, you tortured not because you're so stupid you think torture produces confession but you tortured because you're smart enough to know it produces really authentic-sounding fiction - well, then, you're going to need all the lawyers you can find ... because that crime wouldn't just mean impeachment, would it?

That crime would mean George W. Bush is going to prison."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:07 pm
Interesting, a woodcut depicting something that is not "water boarding", accompanied by text that does not describe water boarding using examples of torture that is not water boarding.

I guess as long as water is involved, it's all the same, huh? I am surprised Blatham hasn't offered up someone drowning yet. That involves water too. Or perhaps a picture like this:

http://altpress.com/specials/warped2007/photos/artists/harris/8-02/12justine_fingers2.jpg

Obviously a "torture" victim.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:23 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Interesting, a woodcut depicting something that is not "water boarding", accompanied by text that does not describe water boarding using examples of torture that is not water boarding.

Well, McGentrix, you go and find an accurate description of what waterboarding is, how it works, and what the effects are, and we can go from there...

Meanwhile, a description of the procedure in the words of Malcolm Nance, counter-terrorism and terrorism intelligence consultant for the US government's Special Operations, Homeland Security and Intelligence agencies:

Quote:
The practice involves strapping the person being interrogated on to a board as pints of water are forced into his lungs through a cloth covering his face while the victim's mouth is forced open. Its effect, according to Mr Nance, is a process of slow-motion suffocation.

Typically, a victim goes into hysterics on the board as water fills his lungs. "How much the victim is to drown," Mr Nance wrote in an article for the Small Wars Journal, "depends on the desired result and the obstinacy of the subject.

"A team doctor watches the quantity of water that is ingested and for the physiological signs which show when the drowning effect goes from painful psychological experience to horrific, suffocating punishment, to the final death spiral. For the uninitiated, it is horrifying to watch."

(source)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:38 pm
Water boarding does not involve "pints of water are forced into his lungs", it involves disorientation (head lower then chest), simulated drowning, pouring copious amounts of water over a rag over the mouth. Considering a person can down if even a cup of water is introduced into the lungs should be enough to tell you Nance is full of **** and is exaggerating for effect. Water boarding is a psychological device meant to scare and bewilder the person, not kill them.

"Fills up his lungs", please. What an idiot.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:53 pm
woiyo said,

Quote:
This administration as well as the past 2 Administrations as well as the current and former Congress should be arrested and charged with treason for ignoring the problems that led us into this current situation.

I think you should read Article 3, section 3 of the Constitution before you accuse anyone of treason.
It is the ONLY crime defined in the Constitution, and has a very specific definition and has very specific actions that constitute treason.

So, according to the Constitution, NOBODY in this admin, this congress, or the previous admin has committed treason.

For your education, here is what the Constitution says...

Quote:
Section 3 - Treason
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

Here is a link to the Constitution for you...

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#A2Sec2
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:56 pm
mysteryman, the USSC ruled that Bushie violated American and international law. Violations of law are crimes and in this case war crimes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:57 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Water boarding does not involve "pints of water are forced into his lungs", it involves disorientation (head lower then chest), simulated drowning, pouring copious amounts of water over a rag over the mouth. Considering a person can down if even a cup of water is introduced into the lungs should be enough to tell you Nance is full of **** and is exaggerating for effect. Water boarding is a psychological device meant to scare and bewilder the person, not kill them.

You don't know what the f*ck you are talking about.

Why doesn't the prisoner just hold his breath, McG? Because he can't. The cloth moves to the back of the throat and it's impossible to keep water out of the lungs.

Nance is an expert on this, and you aren't an expert on anything. Yet you presume that you are and that he doesn't know what he's talking about. What arrogance you right-wingers display.

I already smacked you up good on the '35 AGW myths' article that you quite obviously didn't read in the other thread; don't make me embarrass you here as well.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:04 pm
ACLU learns of third 'secret' torture memo from Gonzales Justice Department RAW STORY
Published: Tuesday November 6, 2007

Legal papers filed in federal court Monday in a lawsuit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union and other organizations disclose that the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) issued three secret memorandums relating to interrogation practices of detainees -- one more than has been publicly revealed.

The New York Times revealed two memoranda authored in 2005 relating to "harsh interrogation" of prisoners held by the CIA. One explicitly authorized interrogators to use combinations of psychological "enhanced" interrogation practices including waterboarding, head slapping, and stress positions. The second declared that none of the CIA's interrogation methods violated a law being considered by Congress that outlawed "cruel, inhuman and degrading" treatment.

More details in a press release sent by the ACLU Tuesday afternoon follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until now, the existence of only two of those memos had been reported and it was not known precisely when the memos had been written. The memos are believed to have authorized the CIA to use extremely harsh interrogation methods including waterboarding.

"These torture memos should never have been written, and it is utterly unacceptable that the administration continues to suppress them while at the same time declaring publicly that it abhors torture," said Jameel Jaffer, Director of the ACLU's National Security Project. "It is now obvious that senior administration officials worked in concert over a period of several years to evade and violate the laws that prohibit cruelty and torture. Some degree of accountability is long overdue."

The memos should have been - but were not - identified and processed for the ACLU as part of its Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit requesting information on the treatment and interrogation of detainees in U.S. custody. In response to legal papers filed by the ACLU on October 24 objecting to that omission and requesting the release of the two memos, the government filed papers Monday stating:

"OLC has reviewed its opinions from that time frame and has determined that there were in fact three opinions issued to CIA relating to the interrogation of detainees in CIA custody … Two of the opinions were issued on May 10, 2005 … The third was issued on May 30, 2005 ... OLC has not located any legal opinions issued to CIA from January 31, 2005 through May 9, 2005 that relate to the interrogation of detainees in CIA custody." (emphasis added)

In addition to neglecting to provide the relevant memos to the ACLU as part of its FOIA lawsuit, the government has also withheld the documents from key senators in a congressional inquiry.

"The Justice Department's failure to identify and disclose these memos is yet another example of its efforts to thwart public inquiry into its authorization of illegal interrogation methods," said Amrit Singh, a staff attorney with the ACLU's Immigrants' Rights Project. "The memos must immediately be disclosed, and high ranking officials must be held accountable for authorizing torture."

The OLC memos - and the possibility of others that might remain unknown - take on particular meaning as the confirmation process continues today in Congress regarding the nomination of Michael Mukasey for attorney general. Mukasey has been the subject of intense criticism over his refusal to identify waterboarding as torture.

A hearing regarding the ACLU's request for the release of OLC torture memos is scheduled for November 13, 2007 at 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time in federal court in New York.

A copy of the ACLU's brief requesting production of outstanding documents is online at: www.aclu.org/safefree/torture/32572lgl20071024.html

The government's response to the ACLU's brief is online at: www.aclu.org/safefree/torture/32573lgl20071105.html

More information on the torture and abuse of detainees in U.S. military custody and an index of documents received by the ACLU in its FOIA lawsuit can be found online at: www.aclu.org/torturefoia.

Many of these documents are also contained and summarized in a recently published book by Jaffer and Singh, Administration of Torture. More information is available online at: www.aclu.org/administrationoftorture.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:23 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
mysteryman, the USSC ruled that Bushie violated American and international law. Violations of law are crimes and in this case war crimes.

But nothing that Bush might or might not have done qualifies as treason, and you know that.

Or, are you saying that all crimes are treason?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:44 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

"gigo"

Cycloptichorn

Go blow it out your ass, that seems to be something you are expert at. Especially on this topic. You have no idea what you are talking about beyond the garbage spoon fed you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:49 pm
McGentrix wrote:
of course that's merely MY opinion...

Nothing that McG posts is anything more than his own sadly misinformed opinion.

I take that back, partially. He actively fabricates/misleads/ prevaricates things in order to provide cover for a band of scoundrels.

Just what does that make you, McG. You old centrist you.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:50 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

"gigo"

Cycloptichorn

Go blow it out your ass, that seems to be something you are expert at. Especially on this topic. You have no idea what you are talking about beyond the garbage spoon fed you.

Oh, and you derive your information on this topic from where, exactly?

Mmm hmm.

I notice that you didn't mention your recent embarrassment. Still claiming that you read the article, you incredible fraud?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:58 pm
Quote:
Section 3 - Treason
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

I say we waterboard Bush in open court and see if he confesses. Hey, it ain't torture according to Bush's loyal following so they have no reason to oppose it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:58 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Water boarding does not involve "pints of water are forced into his lungs", it involves disorientation (head lower then chest), simulated drowning, pouring copious amounts of water over a rag over the mouth.

Well, I take it you have that on good authority.

Anyways. It seems that there are several techniques that are usually summed up under the term "waterboarding." I thought you'd appreciate Nance's description, as he at least has gone through the procedure. Unlike Neil Boortz, for example. And unlike you, for that matter.

Another guy who went through some stages of waterboarding is Steve Harrigan of Fox News. Here's a link to a couple of videos. Hope you like it.

And just in case you can't be bothered to watch that, here's a bit from a transcript of an interview with Harrigan after he'd gone through "Phases 1 - 3":

Quote:
MODERATOR: Let's move on to Phase 3. What does that involve?

STEVE HARRIGAN: Phase 3 they took out some plastic wrap and just seeing him pull out that wrap there I was like 'I'm not gonna last long.' I mean, it's like a 'Friday the 13th' movie. They wrap that around your face and they poke a little hole right over your mouth and start pouring water in your mouth so you get the sensation of drowning and you can't really see that clearly 'cause water is going over your face and it's all blurry and you start to gag.

Now you can actually asphyxiate so they were very careful. They had a medic on site. But I didn't last long at all... They say the average is 14 seconds but... I did, I didn't make... you know...

MODERATOR: How far did you get?

STEVE HARRIGAN: Just a few seconds really.

MODERATOR: You know what I find so interesting listening to you describe this, I can still kind of hear what sounds to me like fear in your voice, uh, describing it. Is that fair?

STEVE HARRIGAN: It's a scary day's work and you're real happy when it's over and you're on the train going home.

MODERATOR: But you know, the big difference is that you know that Major Bob is not gonna hurt you...

STEVE HARRIGAN: Right.

MODERATOR: ...and you know that this is really just an experience or an experiment for you. How much more intense do you think it is when that just isn't the case?

STEVE HARRIGAN: You know, it does get intense, even when you're training, because you loose... You know how people panic when you're trying to rescue a drowner, even if you're trying to help them? When you loose the ability to breathe you can panic. Of course it does get a lot worse out in the field, I'm sure.

MODERATOR: Uh... do you believe that this technique amounts to torture? You've experienced it...

STEVE HARRIGAN: I... I can't see how you could call it anything else. I mean, it's tortuous. It's... you're terrified and you can't breathe and you panic.

Interesting how people who've gone through the procedure seem to believe it amounts to torture, isn't it?

Also interesting how US courts charged Japanese soldiers with Violation of the Laws and Customs of War for using waterboarding techniques against US citizens and sentenced them with up to 25 years of hard labour for something that you maintain doesn't amount to torture.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 08:15 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

"gigo"

Cycloptichorn

Oh, and you derive your information on this topic from where, exactly?

Mmm hmm.

I notice that you didn't mention your recent embarrassment. Still claiming that you read the article, you incredible fraud?

Cycloptichorn

The global warming thing? Please. You hardly embarrass any anyone beyond yourself these days.
0 Replies