blueflame1

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:38 pm
"If YOUR child could be saved,". A dumb hypothetical question. Torture gets people to say what torturers want to hear but not useful intelligence. It prodecues confessions like that of Khalid Sheikh Muhammed who would have confessed to killing Nicole Simpson if that was what his torturers wanted him to confess to. Torture is immoral and illegal but also useless. After WW2 the Nazis were prosecuted for using the same enhanced torture techniques Bushie is accused of using. link
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:53 pm
If Congress a the time "tortured" GW, we may have avoided this mess. You are correct.

However, what "interrogation techniques" have proven to be effective in obtaining critical information? What techniques would you use?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:54 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
"If YOUR child could be saved,". A dumb hypothetical question. Torture gets people to say what torturers want to hear but not useful intelligence. It prodecues confessions like that of Khalid Sheikh Muhammed who would have confessed to killing Nicole Simpson if that was what his torturers wanted him to confess to. Torture is immoral and illegal but also useless. After WW2 the Nazis were prosecuted for using the same enhanced torture techniques Bushie is accused of using. link

I'll ask you the same question. What techniques should be used?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:54 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Stop being dramatic and please provide a direct answer to a simple question.

I don't think "dropping nuclear waste" is a serious answer to a fundemental question.

Neither is 'your kids are being held hostage.' It's not a real-world situation.

No, I wouldn't torture someone to save a family member. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

The ends don't justify the means, ever. Do you disagree with this?

Cycloptichorn

No, I do not agree in times of war. I also understand and accept, the risks to our soldiers. Yet, if information gathered can save American lives, by all means, use all EFFECTIVE methods known (effective is the key word). Beatings, psycological methods have proven to be not very effective since one will say anything to "make it stop".

This is why it is so important to have a govt that understand the impact of military conflicts. We do not have one now and I am not sure the candidates running will be any better.

A 'time of war' doesn't remove the necessity for justifying one's actions. It isn't as if there are exemptions to the rules that govern our existence just b/c Bush decided it would be fun to invade a country.

I agree that waterboarding and other psychological tortures have not been proven to be effective.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 01:04 pm
woiyo wrote:
What techniques should be used?

Well, those are taught at the police colleges and the police's university here. It's part of their exams for the BA (and MA and doctorate) to become a police officer.

There's quite a lot of literature to be found ...
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 01:19 pm
woiyo, no torture techniques should be used. America should obey international laws we not only have signed onto but largely wrote ourselves after WW2. That includes laws against the kind of preemptive war Bushie lied us into in Iraq. My opinion is the USA should stop persecuting people around the world as the first salvo in a real war on terrorism.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 01:25 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
woiyo, no torture techniques should be used. America should obey international laws we not only have signed onto but largely wrote ourselves after WW2. That includes laws against the kind of preemptive war Bushie lied us into in Iraq. My opinion is the USA should stop persecuting people around the world as the first salvo in a real war on terrorism.

Point taken. We agree this Police Action is a waste of American lives. Yet that does not answer the question as to what techniques should be used.

Maybe Walter can tell us what they teach in his homeland, since neither you or any other American has a clue .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 01:30 pm
woiyo wrote:
Maybe Walter can tell us what they teach in his homeland, since neither you or any other American has a clue .

Though I taught a course on a police college (and worked with the police quite often), I've actually no idea - would a list of books what is recommended as reading on various state's colleges be any help for you? (Only titles, authors - in German - on their websites. [The university has unforunately most on their intranet.]
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 01:32 pm
"woiyo, no torture techniques should be used." That was answer enough to your question. In the article I posted there is this, "The Israelis, Baer said, have learned that they can gain valuable information by establishing personal relationships with the inmates and gaining their trust.

"They found that torture, abusive tactics, made things overall worse for them politically," Baer said. "The Israelis are friendly with their prisoners. They play cards with them and allow them to contact their families. They are getting in their minds to determine what makes up a suicide bomber."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 01:58 pm
McGentrix wrote:

CIA officials say the most effective use of waterboarding was in breaking Khalid Sheikh Muhammed, who ultimately took responsibility for the 9/11 attacks and other al Qaeda terror plots including the beheading of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. A senior CIA official says that it was only because of waterboarding that Mohammed talked.

Which of course now throws into question everything that he confessed to. Did we get any actionable intelligence using this technique?

To counter mysteryman's question, I'll pose one of my own. How many of you would defend the use of waterboarding if it was your loved one being waterboarded? Cyclop is right that it is akin to mock execution. If you say it's not torture because he doesn't actually die, then that picture from Abu Ghraib of the kid standing on the box with wires attached to his fingers represented nothing worthy of censure.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 02:17 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
"woiyo, no torture techniques should be used." That was answer enough to your question. In the article I posted there is this, "The Israelis, Baer said, have learned that they can gain valuable information by establishing personal relationships with the inmates and gaining their trust.

"They found that torture, abusive tactics, made things overall worse for them politically," Baer said. "The Israelis are friendly with their prisoners. They play cards with them and allow them to contact their families. They are getting in their minds to determine what makes up a suicide bomber."

Interesting statements. Considering how well Isreal has been able co-exist" with their neighbors, apparently this is a long term process.

Maybe the answer to the US answer is found in George Washington Farewell Address..."Beware of Foreign entanglements".

"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is in extending our commercial relations, to have with them as little political connection as possible. So far as we have already formed engagements, let them be fulfilled with perfect good faith. Here let us stop. Europe has a set of primary interests which to us have none; or a very remote relation. Hence she must be engaged in frequent controversies, the causes of which are essentially foreign to our concerns. Hence, therefore, it must be unwise in us to implicate ourselves by artificial ties in the ordinary vicissitudes of her politics, or the ordinary combinations and collisions of her friendships or enmities.

Our detached and distant situation invites and enables us to pursue a different course. If we remain one people under an efficient government. the period is not far off when we may defy material injury from external annoyance; when we may take such an attitude as will cause the neutrality we may at any time resolve upon to be scrupulously respected; when belligerent nations, under the impossibility of making acquisitions upon us, will not lightly hazard the giving us provocation; when we may choose peace or war, as our interest, guided by justice, shall counsel.

Why forego the advantages of so peculiar a situation? Why quit our own to stand upon foreign ground? Why, by interweaving our destiny with that of any part of Europe, entangle our peace and prosperity in the toils of European ambition, rivalship, interest, humor or caprice?"

http://www.100megspop3.com/bark/Beware.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 02:33 pm
"... while the country ought to be friendly and open its commerce to all nations, it should avoid becoming involved in foreign wars."

Quote:
Two-thirds of the Address is devoted to domestic matters and the rise of political parties, and Washington set out his vision of what would make the United States a truly great nation. He called for men to put aside party and unite for the common good, an "American character" wholly free of foreign attachments. The United States must concentrate only on American interests, and while the country ought to be friendly and open its commerce to all nations, it should avoid becoming involved in foreign wars. Contrary to some opinion, Washington did not call for isolation, only the avoidance of entangling alliances. While he called for maintenance of the treaty with France signed during the American Revolution, the problems created by that treaty ought to be clear. The United States must "act for ourselves and not for others."
Source: The United States Department of State
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 02:36 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
"... while the country ought to be friendly and open its commerce to all nations, it should avoid becoming involved in foreign wars."

Quote:
Two-thirds of the Address is devoted to domestic matters and the rise of political parties, and Washington set out his vision of what would make the United States a truly great nation. He called for men to put aside party and unite for the common good, an "American character" wholly free of foreign attachments. The United States must concentrate only on American interests, and while the country ought to be friendly and open its commerce to all nations, it should avoid becoming involved in foreign wars. Contrary to some opinion, Washington did not call for isolation, only the avoidance of entangling alliances. While he called for maintenance of the treaty with France signed during the American Revolution, the problems created by that treaty ought to be clear. The United States must "act for ourselves and not for others."
Source: The United States Department of State

Pretty Smart Stuff, right?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 02:46 pm
woiyo wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Pretty Smart Stuff, right?

Correct - but understandable, since he (and the USA) was "[engaged in a]long, expensive, and distressing war [...] with the Indians.)
(source: GW, Seventh Annual Address)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:19 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Stop being dramatic and please provide a direct answer to a simple question.

I don't think "dropping nuclear waste" is a serious answer to a fundemental question.

Neither is 'your kids are being held hostage.' It's not a real-world situation.

No, I wouldn't torture someone to save a family member. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

The ends don't justify the means, ever. Do you disagree with this?

Cycloptichorn

No, I do not agree in times of war. I also understand and accept, the risks to our soldiers. Yet, if information gathered can save American lives, by all means, use all EFFECTIVE methods known (effective is the key word). Beatings, psycological methods have proven to be not very effective since one will say anything to "make it stop".

This is why it is so important to have a govt that understand the impact of military conflicts. We do not have one now and I am not sure the candidates running will be any better.

One reason the original question you posed is so off base is because it makes a critical but false assumption. Let's ask the typical torture question: If you have a bomb about to go off, what techniques would you be willing to use? The critical assumption is that you assume the person you are about to torture knows something important about that bomb. But you never know that. So do you torture 10 folks who are likely (based on some criteria) to know? 100 folks because they have the right skin color? 1000 folks because they espouse the wrong religion? Once you say you are willing to torture one person based on an assumption of guilt, you're on that steep, slippery slide. You may think that you can handle it, but your fellow interrogator has much lower standards. It's a very small leap to start torturing Americans you think are traitors. And maybe it doesn't have to be a bomb, just sending a political contribution to an organization the government doesn't like.

On waterboarding, previous US administrations of both parties have declared this torture. War time is the wrong time to ask for a re-evaluation.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:22 pm
Many Right-wingers have a hard time differentiating between reality and 24.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:48 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Many Right-wingers have a hard time differentiating between reality and 24.

Cycloptichorn

Ever notice how many American shows and movies are about one or another "boogey man" out to harm the USA? And then there is the quintessential hero, the Rambo, who saves the day.

Please tell that you're mistaken, Cy; that a sizeable number of Americans really are that simple minded?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:01 pm
Quote:
"We got more information out of a German general with a game of chess or Ping-Pong than they do today, with their torture," said Henry Kolm, 90, an MIT physicist who had been assigned to play chess in Germany with Hitler's deputy, Rudolf Hess.

Source
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:39 pm
Quote:

Wait. Did Dana Perino misspeak?

Q: Is it ever reasonable to restrict constitutional freedoms in the name of fighting terrorism?

MS. PERINO: In our opinion, no.

Wow. That statement likely caused the ears of anyone who's ever read the Patriot Act, or been a fan of the Constitutional protections against unlawful search and seizure, or worried that tapping everyone's phone without warrant or cause might not be such a hot idea, or thought habeas corpus was a good thing, to prick up at that moment. To say nothing of the people who today enjoyed a leisurely afternoon in a foreign prison with a wet towel wedged halfway down their windpipe.

But not so fast, you naive lovers of what was once known as "liberty." Perino's talking about the restrictions of constitutional freedoms in Pakistan, where the President's personal friend Pervez Musharraf has declared a state of emergency rule, suspending that country's constitution. Not to worry, though. While Bush has yet to place a phone call to the Pakistani dictator, he's unleashed the full force of what the Executive Branch does best:

PERINO: We are currently reviewing our aid. The President has been following this issue very closely. He has been given updates by the Director of National Intelligence over the weekend, his national security team and, of course, Secretary Rice. Pakistan is a strong fighter against terrorists and we have to keep that in mind as we move forward. But our aid package is currently being reviewed. And Secretary Rice has been urging President Musharraf, on behalf of the President, to return quickly to civilian rule.

With such a robust package of reviewing stuff, monitoring other stuff, compliment feeding and "urging" through surrogates, is there really any doubt that things are going to improve in Pakistan with a quickness?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/11/05/the-gift-that-keeps-on-gi_n_71267.html

The disconnect from reality! How do sentient humans manage this? Tico, McG, MM, Baldimo, Woiyo, Okie, et al, how do you manage this and function day to day? Oh, how could I have possibly forgotten georgeob1!

It is so unfathomable. I really would like to understand how this can be done.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 07:06 am
JTT wrote:
Quote:

Wait. Did Dana Perino misspeak?

Q: Is it ever reasonable to restrict constitutional freedoms in the name of fighting terrorism?

MS. PERINO: In our opinion, no.

Wow. That statement likely caused the ears of anyone who's ever read the Patriot Act, or been a fan of the Constitutional protections against unlawful search and seizure, or worried that tapping everyone's phone without warrant or cause might not be such a hot idea, or thought habeas corpus was a good thing, to prick up at that moment. To say nothing of the people who today enjoyed a leisurely afternoon in a foreign prison with a wet towel wedged halfway down their windpipe.

But not so fast, you naive lovers of what was once known as "liberty." Perino's talking about the restrictions of constitutional freedoms in Pakistan, where the President's personal friend Pervez Musharraf has declared a state of emergency rule, suspending that country's constitution. Not to worry, though. While Bush has yet to place a phone call to the Pakistani dictator, he's unleashed the full force of what the Executive Branch does best:

PERINO: We are currently reviewing our aid. The President has been following this issue very closely. He has been given updates by the Director of National Intelligence over the weekend, his national security team and, of course, Secretary Rice. Pakistan is a strong fighter against terrorists and we have to keep that in mind as we move forward. But our aid package is currently being reviewed. And Secretary Rice has been urging President Musharraf, on behalf of the President, to return quickly to civilian rule.

With such a robust package of reviewing stuff, monitoring other stuff, compliment feeding and "urging" through surrogates, is there really any doubt that things are going to improve in Pakistan with a quickness?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/11/05/the-gift-that-keeps-on-gi_n_71267.html

The disconnect from reality! How do sentient humans manage this? Tico, McG, MM, Baldimo, Woiyo, Okie, et al, how do you manage this and function day to day? Oh, how could I have possibly forgotten georgeob1!

It is so unfathomable. I really would like to understand how this can be done.

What exactly is your question? Are you suggesting I support GW and this Govt stripping of some of our civil liberties over a Police Action and ficticious "war on terror"?

Apparently you are the one in fantasy land is you think I support this govts handeling of these so called "efforts".

This administration as well as the past 2 Administrations as well as the current and former Congress should be arrested and charged with treason for ignoring the problems that led us into this current situation.

<Maybe you are the one drinking the Democratic cool-aid along with Cyclo and the "gang" of wimps". Rolling Eyes
0 Replies