Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 08:34 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Whether Hayden is telling the truth or not sure matters.

But does it matter as respects to whether or not the technique is legitimate?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 08:37 pm
Quote:
I still am not certain what difference it makes to you, in terms of the propriety of the technique, whether Hayden is telling the truth or not.

There are two questions, distinct but related here:
1) has the US government permitted or engaged in torture and other war crimes?
2) can the american public believe what their government tells them?

Neither question is one in which citizens of the US (or of the civilized world) ought to skip past as sitting somehow outside of their proper areas of concern.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 09:05 pm
Finn dAbuzz, that whole debate is a flim flam. Those leaders who say waterboarding aint torture and is legit are lying and only trying to keep an argument alive to fend off prosecution of the Bushie administration. We've signed international treaties making torture illegal. So the Bushies pretend waterboarding aint water torture. Like pretending the Geneva Convention is quaint. Of course torturers find the Geneva Convention quaint and international law too. Waterboarding has been declared illegal in the Military Manual for decades now. As a nation and with the world we've prosecuted waterboarders in the past. It's a lilly livered nation allows the War Criminal in Chief to walk around free.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 09:23 pm
Waterboarding A-OK When Bush Was Popular And No One Knew
More hypocrisy from Congressional Democrats:
link
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 10:11 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/08/AR2008020803156_pf.html

Quote:
Why It Was Called 'Water Torture'

By Richard E. Mezo
Sunday, February 10, 2008; B07

Last week, much to my dismay, government officials testified before Congress that the United States has used the interrogation technique known as waterboarding and would like to hold out the option of using it in the future. As someone who has experienced waterboarding, albeit in a controlled setting, I know that the act is indeed torture. I was waterboarded during my training to become a Navy flight crew member. As has been noted in The Post and other media outlets, waterboarding is "real drowning that simulates death." It's an experience our country should not subject people to.

In February 1963, I was ordered from the Naval Air Station in Alameda, Calif., to Whidbey Island, Wash., for survival training. Part of the week-long program was a brief incarceration in a simulated prisoner-of-war camp; at that time, the program was modeled on events that had occurred during the Korean War. First we were to be "held" in a mock North Korean camp and later transferred to a Chinese camp.

The enlisted men who supervised the training worked to make the situation realistic, and they succeeded in convincing me that I never wanted to become a prisoner of war. I recall that after our "capture," the sailors -- wearing Red Army uniforms -- marched the dozen or so of us along the ocean without our boots. It was very cold, and all our resolve and determination could not prevent our courage from eventually draining out through our wet feet. They took us to a compound of small huts with dirt floors. The camp was surrounded by barbed wire, and the entrance was guarded by armed soldiers.

Several times that night I was on the verge of speaking out, of trying to call the whole thing off, and I suspect that I was not the only one. We held on because none of us trainees wanted to be the person to quit. The camp had an array of torture devices, including the infamous "black box" (which I actually liked because it was the only time I was off the ground and not miserably cold), and our captors also threatened executions, though we had the comfort of knowing that they would not carry through on such threats.

We were all interrogated a few times, some of us more than others. During one interrogation, I was led blindfolded into a room. Suddenly one of the "enemy" hit me hard in the stomach -- a sucker punch that left me doubled over, out of breath. I think three other people were present, but I was never sure. Two men grabbed me at my sides. They put a pole of some kind under my knees and bent me over backward. My head went down lower than the rest of my body.

The questions (What is your unit? Where are you from?) were asked by one man. But we were not supposed to talk. I remember that the blindfold was heavy and completely covered my face. As the two men held me down, one on each side, someone began pouring water onto the blindfold, and suddenly I was drowning. The water streamed into my nose and then into my mouth when I gasped for breath. I couldn't stop it. All I could breathe was water, and it was terrifying. I think I began to lose consciousness. I felt my lungs begin to fill with burning liquid.

Pulling out my fingernails or even cutting off a finger would have been preferable. At least if someone had attacked my hands, I would have had to simply tolerate pain. But drowning is another matter.

Even though I knew that I was in a military facility and that my "captors" would not kill me, no matter what they threatened, my body sensed and reacted to the danger it was in. Adrenaline helped me to fight out of the position the men were holding me in. I can't really explain how I managed to stand up, still with one man clinging to each arm. I only know how horrible it was. The experience was probably only a few minutes, but to me it seemed much longer.

Waterboarding has, unfortunately, become a household word. Back then, we didn't call it waterboarding -- we called it "water torture." We recognized it as something the United States would never do, whatever the provocation. As a nation, we must ask our leaders, elected and appointed, to be aware of such horrors; we must ask them to stop the narrow and superficial thinking that hinges upon "legal" definitions and to use common sense. Waterboarding is torture, and torture is clearly a crime against humanity.

The writer, who served in the Navy for six years, teaches at Germanna Community College's Fredericksburg Campus.

There's no way to be for this practice and consider yourself an American.

Cyclotichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 10:20 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/08/AR2008020803156_pf.html

Cyclotichorn

Well, let's see --- I do support the judicious use of this technique and I do consider myself an American; so you're wrong again cyclo.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 10:23 pm
"State Secret" Privilege Used to Block Lawsuit on Behalf of Torture Victims

By Maya Harris, ACLU Northern California. Posted February 10, 2008.

Is extraordinary rendition really a "state secret" anymore? http://www.alternet.org/rights/76543/
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 10:23 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cyclotichorn

Well, let's see --- I do support the judicious use of this technique and I do consider myself an American; so you're wrong again cyclo.

You are experiencing cognitive dissonance, then. The two concepts are contradictory.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 10:57 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cyclotichorn

You are experiencing cognitive dissonance, then. The two concepts are contradictory.

Cycloptichorn

Thank you Dr. Phil.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 01:56 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cyclotichorn

Cycloptichorn

Thank you Dr. Phil.

Thank you, Dr Mengele.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:23 am
Not at all a bad riposte, snood.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:17 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I still am not certain what difference it makes to you, in terms of the propriety of the technique, whether Hayden is telling the truth or not.

It seems that telling the truth is a terribly inconvenient truth for all you Republicans.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:16 pm
snood wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cyclotichorn

Cycloptichorn

Thank you Dr. Phil.

Thank you, Dr Mengele.

There is a part of me that would enjoy escalation as a result your post, but I'm going to treat this as the highly insulting ad hominem it is and not respond in kind. You're free to continue down this path. I'm sure blatham and JTT will cheer you on.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:46 pm
...and what was the "Dr Phil" remark? - just good-natured repartee or factual argument?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 01:30 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

There is a part of me that would enjoy escalation as a result your post, but I'm going to treat this as the highly insulting ad hominem it is and not respond in kind. You're free to continue down this path. I'm sure blatham and JTT will cheer you on.

You're quickly painting yourself into a corner and the "everyone, let's feel sorry for poor persecuted Finn" just won't fly. Pointing out that you share some characteristics with a man who had no problem with torture isn't an ad hominem, Finn, it's a comparison.

While the degree is obviously different, the fact of the matter is, the connection is there.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 01:55 pm
JTT wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It seems that telling the truth is a terribly inconvenient truth for all you Republicans.

That's unfair. It's unfair as a generality about Republicans and it's unfair to finn in that, though he may get stuff wrong out of partisan bias (we likely do too) I don't know of any instance where finn hasn't been truthful. And, he's one of the rare republican-leaners here who actually tries to make careful and considered statements.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:58 pm
snood wrote:
...and what was the "Dr Phil" remark? - just good-natured repartee or factual argument?

Are you seriously comparing calling someone who has offered up a diagnosis of cognitive dissonance, Dr. Phil to calling someone Dr Mengele?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 04:13 pm
JTT wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You're quickly painting yourself into a corner and the "everyone, let's feel sorry for poor persecuted Finn" just won't fly. Pointing out that you share some characteristics with a man who had no problem with torture isn't an ad hominem, Finn, it's a comparison.

While the degree is obviously different, the fact of the matter is, the connection is there.

I don't feel the least bit persecuted, and surely not by you.

I don't intent to trade insults with you or snood or anyone on this thread for that matter

You and I came down this road before JTT and I suggested we just ignore each other since neither of us have any use for the other. Through a series of PMs you, unbidden, actually vowed not to engage in further ad hominem. I didn't care then if you lived up to your vow and I don't now. Everyonce in a while though you may feel like breaking up your routine and dropping the venom. It may make your life less tedious. If not, that's fine too.

I'm through with this thread.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:17 pm
Scalia says courts shouldn't prohibit torture by Nick Juliano
Published: Tuesday February 12, 2008

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia rejected the notion that US courts have any control over the actions of American troops at Guantanamo Bay, argued that torture of terror detainees is not banned under the US Constitution and insisted that the high court has no obligation to act as a moral beacon for other nations.

"We don't pretend to be some Western Mullahs who decide what is right and wrong for the whole world," Scalia told a BBC interviewer Tuesday, defending narrow interpretation of the reach the US Constitution gives the nine justices on the country's high court.

Scalia said it was "extraordinary" to suggest that the 8th Amendment, which prohibits the government from engaging in "cruel and unusual punishment," could be applied to the actions of US interrogators questioning foreign subjects detained overseas. In his view, Scalia said that while the 8th Amendment would prohibit locking up someone indefinitely as punishment for a crime, for example, the CIA or military would be perfectly justified keeping a suspected insurgent or member of al Qaeda imprisoned forever if the detainee refused to answer questions.

"Is it obvious that what can't be done for punishment can't be done to extract information that is crucial to the society?" Scalia asked.

In the BBC interview, which aired on Radio 4's Law in Action, Scalia suggested that it would be inappropriate for the court to deliberately outlaw certain tactics, such as waterboarding. (The Bush administration recently acknowledged using the simulated drowning procedure at least three times on terror detainees.) Scalia said tactics critics have described as torture could be usable in so-called "ticking time bomb" scenarios or even when such a pressing deadline does not exist.

"It may not be a bomb in LA," he said. "But it may be, where is this group [believed to be plotting an attack on the US]?"

This audio is from BBC's Radio 4, broadcast February 12, 2008.
link
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 05:58 pm
Well, that's where dogmatic extremism gets you.
0 Replies