0
   

Plants, fungi and chemical- and acid-immunity

 
 
Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:07 am
Hello. I know there are such things as poisonous plants and fungi. Are there any such plants and fungi that are immune t chemicals and acids?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 779 • Replies: 7
No top replies

 
Builder
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:06 am
That would be the deadly nightshades, such as potatoes and tomatoes.
0 Replies
 
Noddy24
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:10 pm
I don't remember details, but some plants have the capacity to remove pollutants such as heavy metals and other toxic wastes from contaminated marshland.
0 Replies
 
cjhsa
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:18 pm
Builder wrote:
That would be the deadly nightshades, such as potatoes and tomatoes.


????

Would you like fries with that?
0 Replies
 
Coolwhip
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:44 pm
Immune to acids? You mean like a buffer or plants that aren't harmed by acids?

I don't think you'll find any plants that are resistant to strong acids like sulphuric acid, but as far as I know (which quite frankly isn't that much) our blood has a buffer that prevents huge fluxes in pH (strong acids in large quantities would still be harmful), for example when you exercise anaerobically you start producing lactic acid. This would be lethal if it weren't for the pH buffer.

If this is present in humans it's not unlikely that the same functions would be present in plants or fungi. Maybe. As I said I'm no expert.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 04:41 pm
Reply to Builder
Builder wrote:
That would be the deadly nightshades, such as potatoes and tomatoes.


So nightshade is immune to corrosive and/or caustic substances?
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 04:42 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Immune to acids? You mean like a buffer or plants that aren't harmed by acids?
I don't think you'll find any plants that are resistant to strong acids like sulphuric acid, but as far as I know (which quite frankly isn't that much) our blood has a buffer that prevents huge fluxes in pH (strong acids in large quantities would still be harmful), for example when you exercise anaerobically you start producing lactic acid. This would be lethal if it weren't for the pH buffer.

If this is present in humans it's not unlikely that the same functions would be present in plants or fungi. Maybe. As I said I'm no expert.


Yes.
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 06:21 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I don't remember details, but some plants have the capacity to remove pollutants such as heavy metals and other toxic wastes from contaminated marshland.


Salt cedar (tamarisk) and salt bush come to mind. The only question left is how to dispose of the polluted plants.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Evolution 101 - Discussion by gungasnake
Typing Equations on a PC - Discussion by Brandon9000
The Future of Artificial Intelligence - Discussion by Brandon9000
The well known Mind vs Brain. - Discussion by crayon851
Scientists Offer Proof of 'Dark Matter' - Discussion by oralloy
Blue Saturn - Discussion by oralloy
Bald Eagle-DDT Myth Still Flying High - Discussion by gungasnake
DDT: A Weapon of Mass Survival - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Plants, fungi and chemical- and acid-immunity
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/24/2021 at 02:57:56