Plants, fungi and chemical- and acid-immunity

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:07 am
Hello. I know there are such things as poisonous plants and fungi. Are there any such plants and fungi that are immune t chemicals and acids?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 863 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Builder

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:06 am
That would be the deadly nightshades, such as potatoes and tomatoes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:10 pm
I don't remember details, but some plants have the capacity to remove pollutants such as heavy metals and other toxic wastes from contaminated marshland.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:18 pm
Builder wrote:

????

Would you like fries with that?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:44 pm
Immune to acids? You mean like a buffer or plants that aren't harmed by acids?

I don't think you'll find any plants that are resistant to strong acids like sulphuric acid, but as far as I know (which quite frankly isn't that much) our blood has a buffer that prevents huge fluxes in pH (strong acids in large quantities would still be harmful), for example when you exercise anaerobically you start producing lactic acid. This would be lethal if it weren't for the pH buffer.

If this is present in humans it's not unlikely that the same functions would be present in plants or fungi. Maybe. As I said I'm no expert.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 04:41 pm
Reply to Builder
Builder wrote:

So nightshade is immune to corrosive and/or caustic substances?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 04:42 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Immune to acids? You mean like a buffer or plants that aren't harmed by acids?
I don't think you'll find any plants that are resistant to strong acids like sulphuric acid, but as far as I know (which quite frankly isn't that much) our blood has a buffer that prevents huge fluxes in pH (strong acids in large quantities would still be harmful), for example when you exercise anaerobically you start producing lactic acid. This would be lethal if it weren't for the pH buffer.

If this is present in humans it's not unlikely that the same functions would be present in plants or fungi. Maybe. As I said I'm no expert.

Yes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 06:21 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I don't remember details, but some plants have the capacity to remove pollutants such as heavy metals and other toxic wastes from contaminated marshland.

Salt cedar (tamarisk) and salt bush come to mind. The only question left is how to dispose of the polluted plants.
0 Replies