Exporting honey

dadpad

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:12 pm
My daughter who is living in sweden has asked us to send her some honey as it is really expensive. She wants to use for Xmas gifts to friends.

I contacted AQIS the Australian Government organisation responsible for import and export controls.

I recieved this reply:
Due to recently implemented legislation in the European Union. All honey (regardless of the quantity) must be exported by an AQIS registered exporter and must obtain appropriate export certification.

Question.
Is Sweden part of the European Union?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,109 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:50 pm
Wiki says yes.

Quote:
The European Union currently has 27 member states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.[24] There are currently three official candidate countries, Croatia, the Republic of Macedonia and Turkey. In addition the western Balkan countries of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Serbia are officially recognised as potential candidates.[25]

link - look at Member states
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:59 pm
Does "regardless of the quantity" preclude personal gifts, though. I mean, it's clearly not a commercial transaction.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 07:52 pm
Thanks for the list joeblow

roger wrote:
Does "regardless of the quantity" preclude personal gifts, though. I mean, it's clearly not a commercial transaction.

I stated it was to be a gift, sub 3 litres and "one off". "Regardless of quantity" I can only assume means exactly that.

I emailed Aqis and requested a list of Honey Exporters. I recieved the following:

Sorry Keith
I am unable to provide you with the list as it is against privacy laws. I suggest you phone some honey producers.

rediculous!!!

I subsequently accessed the Australian Honey Bee Industry web site which gave me a list of registered exporters. I contacted a local producer who said If I wanted to export tonnes he could help me out.
I've been working this through for about 2 hours now and getting nowhere extreemly fast.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:12 pm
that's probably not so different than trying to bring domestic fruits into the U.S. or meat and plant products into canada .
one cannot even take an apple into the U.S. unless through an approved importer . it's o.k. to bring a bottle of liquor but NOT apples etc .
canadian customs are always on the lookout for anyone returning from europe trying to bring a salami or similar foodstuffs in .
there are pretty strict controls on foodstuff importation - even small quantities - to try and prevent any kind of plant or animal diseases from entering a country through the backdoor - if ever so innocently .
hbg

btw it's o.k. to take a banana into the U.S. because none grow in the U.S. , i believe .
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:23 pm
hamburger wrote:
that's probably not so different than trying to bring domestic fruits into the U.S. or meat and plant products into canada .

I am in complete agreement with import/export rules and regulations. Oz has some of the toughest import regs in the world. I dont want to be the source of a disease out break in a foreign country.

However
What my little investigation has revealed is that registered honey exporters in OZ do not treat their export honey any differently to domestic supplies so the requirements simply determine that an exporter has clean and disease free hives and production systems.

In my estimation if I purchase from a registered producer i should then be able to post it overseas.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:16 pm
Honey is expensive? Very Happy

I had no idea--
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:28 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Honey is expensive? Very Happy

I had no idea--

Not in Oz its not.

I can export to Norway. No problems. What are border restrictions like from Norway to Sweden coolwhip?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:46 pm
I have no idea about honey, really. But if I were to smuggle a can of honey I really doubt the boarder control would care, even if i were caught. They are usually more concerned with spirits and tobacco, and the occasional drug shipment.

I'm guessing the real reason you can't send your daughter honey is because of some idiotic EU regulation nobody really understands. Did you know the EU regulates the permitted curve of banana? Or that you can't call a flagpole a flagpole if it isn't completely cylindrical.

A huge collection of meaningless rules, thats how I see the E.U.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 02:47 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
I have no idea about honey, really. But if I were to smuggle a can of honey I really doubt the boarder control would care, even if i were caught. They are usually more concerned with spirits and tobacco, and the occasional drug shipment.

I'm guessing the real reason you can't send your daughter honey is because of some idiotic EU regulation nobody really understands. Did you know the EU regulates the permitted curve of banana? Or that you can't call a flagpole a flagpole if it isn't completely cylindrical.

A huge collection of meaningless rules, thats how I see the E.U.

But those are actually myths. Please stop presenting Daily Mail/Sun idiotic eurobashing lies as if they were true. Of course you could supply proof? i think we'll wait a long time.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 02:56 pm
Does your daughter want the honey imported business related = to sell it?

If not, just send a parcel or a small parcel.

Another question: how cheap is honey in Australia? We get Swedish honey here (= in Germany) for 3.70 Euros [170 gram, Svenskt Mathantverk) in specialty shops, €4.50 at IKEA (500 gram).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:05 pm
we buy our honey from the IMKER (aka beekeeper :wink: ) . he just dropped off a 4 pound pail - he is also our mailman - , it cost us $10 - seems like a bargain .
hbg

(now i understand why my brother-in-law packed two large jars of honey in his suitcase before returning to germany )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:10 pm
The reason why honey from some countries isn't allowed to be imported in the EU is a) poor quality and b) contanimation with anti-biotics.

(I got this from the Swedish bees-magazine ... http://www.quicknet.se/home/q-119076/BNB/1-bnb.html ... but Australia isn't mentioned as far as I could find out. :wink: )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:12 pm
Kisten up. You cook the honey until its hard crack stage, then mold it into honey "toys" Wrap em in boxes and "gift em" as confection toys.

We have the same **** with our farm products being processed into wool yarns in Canada. Coming back across the border, we get hosed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:26 pm
hamburger wrote:
we buy our honey from the IMKER (aka beekeeper :wink: ) . he just dropped off a 4 pound pail - he is also our mailman - , it cost us $10 - seems like a bargain .
hbg

(now i understand why my brother-in-law packed two large jars of honey in his suitcase before returning to germany )

We get our honey from the beekeeper as well - pay about the same, but in Euros.

In Sweden, beekeepers sell in smaller glasses, too - about the same price as in Germany at the prodicer ("industrally made" honey in the supermarkets is cheaper .... and from Canada Laughing )
- 500 g sexkantig burk
- 390 g "Nalle Puh"-burk
- 250 g "Nalle Puh"-burk
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:29 pm
what, pray tell, is "industrially made" honey
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:32 pm
Well, they honey you by in the shops, filled in glasses by firms. Produced whereever, mixed, etc etc.

When you buy from the beekeeper, they can tell you exactly from where is and when it was collected.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:33 pm
Quote:
("industrally made" honey in the supermarkets is cheaper .... and from Canada )

perhaps it's KUNSTHONIG :wink: .
when we were kids my brother refused to eat real honey , it had to be KUNSTHONIG - he must have thought that it was made by a KUENSTLER .
hbg

KUNSTHONIG = artificial honey , flavoured sugar
KUENSTLER = artist
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:40 pm
No, no Kunsthonig Laughing

------------

This is the most popular exporrted Swedish honey - you get it in many supermarkets here, and it costs as much as any other better honey .... but for half the quantity

http://i23.tinypic.com/ra680i.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 04:03 pm
you dont have laws that dont allow the word "honey' to be used?
As a minor beekeeper, we are so inspected and regulated by the PA Dept opf AG, that I dont sell any of my honey. I give it to relatives for preents.
However, even if its sold in a market , the apiary has to display its name and license, AND, most importantly, honey cannot contain anything but honey from that one producer.
Many big producers will blend gallons from different hive blocks together but they dare not add anything and still call it hoiney.

We do have "honey butter" which is a useless product that is cut and marketed at a premium. but outside of that, if its honey its honey only.
0 Replies