Where to live in Europe?

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 02:12 am
Im wanting to spend the rest of my life in another country but not sure where. Aparently these are all in the top 100 best cities to live. I didn't want anywhere too big so came up with this list....

Vienna (Austria)

Zurich (Switzerland) - Ger language spoken.
Geneva (Switzerland) - Fre language spoken.
Bern (Switzerland) - Ger language spoken.

Lyon (France)

Stockholm (Sweden)
Brussels (Belgium) - Fre language spoken.

Luxembourg (Luxembourg) - Fre language spoken mostly.

Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,176 • Replies: 20
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 03:04 am
What's wrong with Barcelona? (oh! ¿No habla español? Well worth the effort!)
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 03:06 am
contrex wrote:
What's wrong with Barcelona? (oh! ¿No habla español? Well worth the effort!)

I don't know I have never been before I just don't want to live in Spain.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 03:37 am
Stockholm is wonderful. But very cold and dark in the winter. You might want to take this into consideration.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 04:31 am
urs53 wrote:
Stockholm is wonderful. But very cold and dark in the winter. You might want to take this into consideration.

Thanks for that. I had a look on bebo and it doesn't look anywhere as nice as the other European Cities.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 11:08 am
Anyoneone else lived in any of the places listed?
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 11:18 am
Stockholm is built on thousands of islands, water everywhere. It is the only city on your list where almost everyone speaks English. Public transit is most efficient and car drivers are polite.
I stayed there for two weeks and walked most of the time. A gem of a city.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 11:52 am
What languages do you already speak, djalliance?

There are a number of factors that are going to have an effect on the best initial decision for you - one of them is ability to communicate (and in the case of Canada - it impacts the likelihood that you'll be able to get into the country as a landed immigrant).
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 01:01 pm
ehBeth wrote:
What languages do you already speak, djalliance?

There are a number of factors that are going to have an effect on the best initial decision for you - one of them is ability to communicate (and in the case of Canada - it impacts the likelihood that you'll be able to get into the country as a landed immigrant).

I speak english and slang scottish lol
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 04:51 pm
Well- you obviously don't like where you are now and, as human beings are more or less identical, I doubt you will find any solace in the places mentioned.

You are contemplating the first step on the hermit trail and it would save you a lot of wasted effort if you bit the bullet and settled quickly on a cave in the Outer Hebrides where human beings don't bother going due to the absence of luxuries and home comforts.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:47 am
spendius wrote:
Well- you obviously don't like where you are now and, as human beings are more or less identical, I doubt you will find any solace in the places mentioned.

You are contemplating the first step on the hermit trail and it would save you a lot of wasted effort if you bit the bullet and settled quickly on a cave in the Outer Hebrides where human beings don't bother going due to the absence of luxuries and home comforts.

Lmao hehe

who said i didn't want any home conforts? I love where I am, I love my city but there is nothing here for me now. I have exhausted every possibiloity, been to every bar, been to every club etc. It's get's boring after a while.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 01:41 am
noinipo wrote:
Stockholm is built on thousands of islands, water everywhere. It is the only city on your list where almost everyone speaks English. Public transit is most efficient and car drivers are polite.

Yes, Stockholm is great, but bloody expensive. Living there must be absolutely scary - not to mention the gloom and doom of winter. They do speak English pretty well everywhere, though! I have friends who live in Stockholm and they enjoy it, but usually make a short getaway in winter. What are you looking for in a city?

What about Ireland? They mostly speak English there (ignoring the Dingle Peninsula - where I couldn't find an English speaker when In was lost!)

I'd like to love there in their summers - but would hate the winters. Don't you northern Europe types ever see the sun in winter?
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:04 am
margo wrote:
noinipo wrote:

Yes, Stockholm is great, but bloody expensive. Living there must be absolutely scary - not to mention the gloom and doom of winter. They do speak English pretty well everywhere, though! I have friends who live in Stockholm and they enjoy it, but usually make a short getaway in winter. What are you looking for in a city?

What about Ireland? They mostly speak English there (ignoring the Dingle Peninsula - where I couldn't find an English speaker when In was lost!)

I'd like to love there in their summers - but would hate the winters. Don't you northern Europe types ever see the sun in winter?

I want to be out of the UK. Scotland is cold so don't care if I go to a place where it is cold in the winter, it's only for 3-months. If Stokholm is expensive then that may well put me off going there.

As for what im looking for, pretty sure ive mentioend this a few times on other threads if not this one. Somewhere that looks nice, good architecture - but doesn;t have to be everywhere. Somewhere relaxing and chille dbut at the same time can be vibrant. Somewhere that doesn't have a culture of youths hanging about the streets drinking and causing trouble every night like here in the UK - sure you get it everywhere but more so in the UK than anywhere else.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:30 am
The two places I've visited in Europe that I'd consider living in are Madrid and Malta.

We spent a week in Malta several years ago and absolutely loved it, but I do wonder if we'd get "cabin fever" after spending any length of time there.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:59 am
Jim wrote:
The two places I've visited in Europe that I'd consider living in are Madrid and Malta.

We spent a week in Malta several years ago and absolutely loved it, but I do wonder if we'd get "cabin fever" after spending any length of time there.

Not on my list dude. But thanks for the input. Ive heard Malta is nice.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 01:03 pm
djalliance wrote:
Jim wrote:

What have you got against Spain and the Spanish?
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 01:23 pm
contrex wrote:
djalliance wrote:
Jim wrote:

What have you got against Spain and the Spanish?

Nothing i just dont fancy Spain. Just liek I dont fancy living in 90% of the other countries.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 03:24 pm
Considering life cost, I think Lyon is one of the cheapest cities to live in of you list. But why, among all, choosing Lyon? What about Paris? Or La Rochelle? (La Rochelle is particularily nice, btw... Embarrassed ).
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:56 pm
Sydney's quite nice - I hear - and not too cold!
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:06 am
Radical Edward wrote:
Considering life cost, I think Lyon is one of the cheapest cities to live in of you list. But why, among all, choosing Lyon? What about Paris? Or La Rochelle? (La Rochelle is particularily nice, btw... Embarrassed ).

lyon was in the top 30 best places to live, thats why. Paris is too expensive and I have never heard of La Rochelle.
0 Replies