Left-Brained or Right-Brained?

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 08:13 am
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html

I first noticed clockwise. Then looked away to read text on the left side. When my eyes hovered back to it, it appeared anti-clockwise. Every time I switch to it after looking at something else, the direction is different than the last time. Tricky and interesting.

Personally, I was quite right-brained through childhood and teens, but have grown more left-brained since college. I don't know, but looks like I have a pretty balanced brain right now!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,802 • Replies: 20
No top replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 08:26 am
I have never quite understood it, but why are all my threads featured? Earlier on this made me feel a tad bit special, but now I get irritated!
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 11:50 am
Re: Left-Brained or Right-Brained?
spidergal wrote:
I first noticed clockwise. Then looked away to read text on the left side. When my eyes hovered back to it, it appeared anti-clockwise.

Same here.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 01:49 pm
Clockwise--on first, second and third glances.

Spidergal--

There are probably A2K members who have the perpetual pouts because their threads aren't featured.

Life is unfair, starting with A2K and moving on to the Greater Universe.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 02:50 pm
I saw Clockwise, then Counter, then Clockwise again.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 02:51 pm
Clockwise also...I'd look away, most of the time it'd still be clockwise when I looked back, occassionally counter-clockwise.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:18 pm
Wow, that's cool Smile

I saw anti-clockwise when I first looked. I stared at it long and hard and couldn't see it any other way.

Then I started reading the text next to it, out of the corner of my eye, it was going clockwise. For a while there I was convinced that the image actually changed direction. But then it changed back to anti-clockwise while I was trying to figure it out.

First she was pivoting on her right leg, then on her left. I couldn't figure out how that happened at first. Then I realized that the brain can't tell when the figure is facing you our facing away from you, and that's why it appears to change direction.

It's a very cool illusion. Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:34 pm
wow..I was trying to figure out how that illusion worked.

thanks ros
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:39 pm
Chai wrote:
wow..I was trying to figure out how that illusion worked.

thanks ros

Sure thing Smile Us left-brained people are good at figurin' sh*t out (when we should be just enjoying the effect) Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:40 pm
It spins clockwise, until I look below it, but it returns to clockwise if I look directly at it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:47 pm
The article says that most people should see it spinning anti-clockwise, but most people who have responded to this thread report the opposite (except me).

Now that I've seen the dancer many times, the image seems to change direction constantly. Every couple of seconds it seems to change direction. I guess I've ruined the effect by looking at it too many times.
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 10:27 am
That is really cool! I saw it turning counter-clockwise and was having trouble trying to see it turning clockwise at all. After a minute or two of watching it I can switch easily between the two but I was definitely anti-clockwise to begin.

Weird!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 07:24 pm
Weirrrrd! I couldn't see how she could possibly be turning any direction but clockwise, but then all of a sudden it clicked-- it's fun to make yourself feel like she's turning halfway one direction, then suddenly swiveling back the other way, then doubling back again... Laughing very strange feeling!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 08:02 pm
Oh Jesus, this is even weirder...

I just called Mr. Tea into the room and asked him which way the dancer was spinning.

He looked at it no more than a second, and said..."both ways"

I asked him "What do you mean, do you see her going counter-clockwise, or clockwise"

"Both...he stood there another five seconds, saying "now she's going left, now right, now left again"

I asked "Which way did you see her going first?"

"****! I don't know! I was in the middle of making a sandwich!" Then he walked out mumbling something about foolishness.

My husband, the Unilateral Brain.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:51 am
FYI...

I made a PowerPoint Presentation using this tiny dancer, and presented at a meeting with about 20 people.

I had everyone stand up, and asked everyone to turn in the direction the dancer was.

It was quite fun when different people realized eveyone wasn't going in the same direction. Much laughter.

Some could see it change, some couldn't.

It was a great launching pad for discussion of preceptions.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:53 am
What about no brainers?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 12:32 pm
That's cool, Chai! Good idea.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 01:54 pm
Sglass wrote:
What about no brainers?

They were jumping up and down.

Actually, I asked if they wanted me to send it to their clinics so they could show it during meetings with the staff.

They thought it would be a fun learning tool too.

Thanks Soz, I made it in 3 slides to build the suspense.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 02:22 pm
Chai--

You are a devious and thrifty woman.
0 Replies

seniorita92

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 02:34 pm
I saw clockwise at first... but then i focused and tried to change it to anti-clockwise... and... it worked ^^
0 Replies