iron, salt

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:18 pm
quick question.

whats a simple answer for why iron is magnetic. also what is a simple answer for why salt is dissolvable

thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 951 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:32 pm
Iron is magnetic because it's easy to make its electrons' spins align.

Salt dissolves in water because they share a polarity iirc.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:23 am
Why is it easy to make its electron spins align Vengo. And don't say 'cos its magnetic.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:54 pm
I wouldn't use "it's magnetic" as an explanation, because that would imply that its electrons are already aligned.

As far as an explanation for why it's easy to do with iron, I can't honestly remember, but I didn't think it would be important since he was looking for a simple answer. I suspect iron is easily magnetized because of its relatively high number of unpaired electrons, but I have nearly no scientific basis for saying that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 03:30 pm
Google- "why iron magnetic".

3rd one down.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 03:34 pm
Iron is not itself magnetic it is "paramagnetic". It becomes magnetic when introduced to a magnetic field. Without getting into quantum mechanics and becoming unintelligible to most; the short answer is because iron has its 6 valence (bonding) electrons in its "d" shell. These electrons are far enough from the nucleus that they don't orbit the nucleus per se they hang around in an area a specific distance away from it that is defined by QM statistics. Because these electrons are "relatively" loose they are easily aligned when an external magnetic field is applied to the iron.

And because of other attributes that have to do with the specific configuration and number of its electrons this field can be relatively stronger than would be supposed without taking quantum mechanical processes into account.

For a short answer that's the best I can do: where its outer electrons exist in space relative to the nucleus and how loosely they are held.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:05 pm
TheCorrectResponse wrote:
Iron is not itself magnetic it is "paramagnetic". It becomes magnetic when introduced to a magnetic field. Without getting into quantum mechanics and becoming unintelligible to most; the short answer is because iron has its 6 valence (bonding) electrons in its "d" shell. These electrons are far enough from the nucleus that they don't orbit the nucleus per se they hang around in an area a specific distance away from it that is defined by QM statistics. Because these electrons are "relatively" loose they are easily aligned when an external magnetic field is applied to the iron.

And because of other attributes that have to do with the specific configuration and number of its electrons this field can be relatively stronger than would be supposed without taking quantum mechanical processes into account.

For a short answer that's the best I can do: where its outer electrons exist in space relative to the nucleus and how loosely they are held.

I still don't see what was wrong with my answer. It seems like a sufficient explanation, and I actually did google search the question before I posted, and I came across the link you recommended spendi, but since he asked for a simple explanation, I figured referring him to a 3400 word explanation would be overkill.

Also, that site seems to agree with what I supposed might be true, about unpaired electrons.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:30 pm
I didn't think that I said there was anything wrong with your answer. I just added a couple of pieces of information that I thought were relevant. Its paramagnetic, it has to do with the specific shells the electrons are in, and magnetism gets deep into QM fast. And was answering WHY it was easy to make the electrons align. I wasn't attempting to offend anyone.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:31 pm
Oh, sorry I grouped your name in there. My beef is mostly with Spendi's criticisms of me.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 04:32 pm
No problem :wink:
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:11 pm
Vengo wrote-

Quote:
My beef is mostly with Spendi's criticisms of me.

Well- you said the equivalent of a dog wags its tail when shown a dog biscuit because its a dog after being asked why does a dog wag its tail.
0 Replies