Not a Forum Help request, just a Forum Comment - spiders

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 04:33 pm
The spiders are back....

I'm one of those people who can barely look at Spidergal's avatar. Once in a while, as the ads have it, spiders crawl across the top and along the sides of the a2k page. I'm posting this now since I just saw this on New Posts, or I think I did, as I left fast. I'm from the land of black widows under back wood steps. Haven't run across them in New Mexico yet, but sure did in LA.

I'm guessing those spiders in the ad are those wee spidies I see around here that don't arouse fear in even me.
But..

for me, the visual is a serious ick to get past. Of course I know better; I'm speaking visceral ick. They're fine, mostly, if they busy about their webs and avoid me - which spiders mostly do. Still...

This is not an actual complaint, as I know arachniphobia is your basic uninformed fear, uh, usually. But still. I've not actually looked at the ad, is it trying to sell something?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,930 • Replies: 25
No top replies

TTH

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 05:32 pm
I don't know the answer to your question. Sometimes spiders and other things run around my computer screen so, I just watch and wonder what they are doing. One of the ads on the side right now is "Spider Killing Products". It seems that when certain words are posted, adds to that affect show up. I won't show the other adds for those that don't like spiders.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 05:38 pm
Actually, it wasn't so much a question, though I asked the ad content at the end, as a slight wail about seeing the spiders semi-frame the a2k page. I know I'm not the only human that is uncomfortable with photos of them crawling - I'm trying to figure why these ads, whatever they are about, could be a good idea. They do affect what page I'll look at for more than a second or two.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 05:47 pm
I realize you were just commenting but, it made me wonder if the ads are for selling something. Now the spider ads are gone that were on the side of the screen and currency exchange ads are there. It seems the ads somehow coincide with the context of the post quite often. At least that is what I noticed, except for the spiders and other things that move. Then I pay more attention to them then what the advertisement says.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 05:54 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Actually, it wasn't so much a question, though I asked the ad content at the end, as a slight wail about seeing the spiders semi-frame the a2k page. I know I'm not the only human that is uncomfortable with photos of them crawling - I'm trying to figure why these ads, whatever they are about, could be a good idea. They do affect what page I'll look at for more than a second or two.

Er...if you click on the spiders, presumably you will discover what they are advertising.

That, or resist your distress long enough to look and read what they are about...that's helpful in overcopming phobias anyway, so you'll be killing two birds with one stone.

In fact, if you look at the spiders until you calm down and they stop distressing you that would be very therapeutic!

I'd look and tell you, but I never see these spiders.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 05:54 pm
Yes, they definitely do coincide, that is a nifty feature, and sometimes hilarious one, given various thread's real conversation...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 05:58 pm
dlowan wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

1) Er...if you click on the spiders, presumably you will discover what they are advertising.

2) That, or resist your distress long enough to look and read what they are about...that's helpful in overcopming phobias anyway, so you'll be killing two birds with one stone.

3) In fact, if you look at the spiders until you calm down and they stop distressing you that would be very therapeutic!

4) I'd look and tell you, but I never see these spiders.

1) not news.
2) I'm not interested in overcoming any spider phobia.
3) I'm not uncalm
4) fine, thanks. TTH gave me a bit of a clue.

Dlowan, this is not an attack on a2k. I like a2k and support its ads. In fact, it's at least mildly playful as a thread. Perhaps I should have it moved from Forum Help, but then, to where? The Forum Concerns forum?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:23 pm
how can they not be good?

Look at the attention they are getting now...

that is the point of advertisement.. aint it? heheh
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:25 pm
No black widows in Albuquerque. How nice for you. They definately inhabit Farmington. I tolerate all kinds of spiders in and around the house except them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:26 pm
I know what! You could have it moved to Jespah's "Wildlife in Your Life", or something like that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:32 pm
roger wrote:
No black widows in Albuquerque. How nice for you. They definately inhabit Farmington. I tolerate all kinds of spiders in and around the house except them.

Santa Fe too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:50 pm
Good idea, maybe I yet will...

So, there I was, what age.. at least thirteen. We had just moved to my aunt's house, not for just a visit, but something like a 2.5 year span of my dad's great employment and months and months without it. At some upswing, we bought another house and moved. But, while we were there, we didn't know that.

Somewhere in there early on, I was out in the back yard, mooning around at thirteen or fourteen. I remember hitting tennis balls against the house (what, were we all crazy? well, it was good stucco).

Let's say fourteen going on fifteen, as I had the tennis racket.
Re those times, I remember laughing uncontrollably -- one day, and one day only --- as I hit the tennis balls.
They (probably my mother and aunt) came out and got me and calmed me down, don't remember how.

And, that my ring fell under the stairs, but I don't think it was that particular day.

None of us went and got it, because of black widows.

It was a long ruby in gold setting, I suppose from early 1900's.

There's a three story apartment in that place now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:52 pm
I read that black widows are here, and don't know why not. Would be interested to know. Surely not altitude. Maybe just distance.

I met black widows in my garage that I rebuilt. Still, I'm not sanguine.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:12 pm
Why were you laughing uncontrollably?!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:28 pm
I was fourteen, I think, and I remember the episode at least somewhat; and I was at the time cognisant of why it was funny, momentarily. Surely flimsy, and probably hormone fueled. Wonder what I was thinking, though.
But I can't answer that, littleK. It's a long long time since I was fourteen, but I remember a) something striking me funny, and b) going on and on.
I suspect c) mother and aunt as being a relief - but not sure. Let's say some residual perplexity.

Now I think of it - well, I don't know what they call it now. I'd say mini hysterics, but girls and women have been binned for less. I sure didn't know that then, and neither did my mother or aunt, or maybe they did, what with all the alzheimeric aunts.

Whatever, my slight memory from my view was, ok, next? I went back to reading my library books.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:38 pm
Hysterical laughing is interesting to me......
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:50 pm
In my long life, I remember doing that that once, only, admittedly at a keen hormonal age.

It was as I was hitting the tennis ball.
I'm no one to give data for epiphanies under athletic maneuvers.

Might not be related to reason, but related to sudden athletic endeavor.

Hard to work up a study -

though I'd be quite interested in regular old laughing and 'hysteric' laughing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:57 pm
No study, just interest.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 09:09 pm
Me, I guess I just went on too long. From my perspective now, I was a pretty clamped-in kid.

Maybe that's a clue, for when you see what seems like hysterics.

Or not.

Interesting field you've picked, no kidding.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 09:22 pm
I'm not sure I'm clear of a difference between laughing like me with the tennis balls at fourteen, basically unbound laughing, and any other laughing

I'm thinking it's a continuum.

Laughter itself is interesting..
0 Replies