Colossus 112 MAXI

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 11:35 pm
Also stuck on a few answers in the MAXI. Your help please!

Clue: Free (of)
N*L

Clue: Xmas -
G*E

Clue: For now, pro -
TE*
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 452 • Replies: 6
No top replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:31 pm
Hello Crypticheadache, welcome to A2K.

This is not meant as a put down, I understand just how exasperated and stressed one can get doing the Maxi. I DON'T do it anymore because I find it too difficult to read the tiny white writing on the black background. I'm thinking it was getting late and you had racked your brains and came up with zilch and thought "I know, I'll get on to A2k for the answers!" and completely forgot this was not a competition puzzle and the answers were in the back of the book. Not to worry, we all do things like this from time to time and then mentally kick ourselves. Trick is to have a good chuckle and get on with it.

Hope to see you again on the threads soon!
0 Replies

Crypticheadache

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:05 pm
Oh! You're right! I thought the answers at the back were from the previous issue. It is the first puzzle magazine I've bought.

I've got the right answers fro the MAXI now, thanks. But I'm still stuck on Editor's Challenge and I've checked and the answers aren't out til next month.

Thanks for your gentle words of advice!!! Embarrassed
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 09:34 pm
Yes the Editor's Challenge is a tough one, isn't it? I am stuck for the same answers you are at the moment. I have been toying with EWES for No.4.
There are two "U"s (ewes) in the phrase 'number two and number ten' and none in 'eg ram'. I will have a bit more of a think about it and see if nothing better comes to mind.
0 Replies

Crypticheadache

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:55 am
Oh, someone else confirmed BERT for that answer: absent from eg(bert)and bert(ram) but common to numBER Two and numBER Ten.
0 Replies

Crypticheadache

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:01 am
Quote:
Hope you Lovatts experts can help. Managed to nut out the first editors challenge but am stuck with this one. My answers so far:
1. OSCAR
2. COWBOYS
3. STEAK
4. BERT
5. VENUS
6. LAUREL
7. LAW
8. ROCK???? HOPE????
9. ?
10. BACON
11. BOW
12. PINS
13.DUNGEONS
14. HAT
15. AID
16. BATMAN
17. HIT
18. THE KING
19. Q
20. WILL
21. ?
Assuming I have the above right I would appreciate help with my missing answers and how you worked them out. I can't see how they all tie in and just can't wait till the next issue. Thanks again.

This is the updated list from another thread.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 07:34 am
Yes, BERT is a much better answer than I came up with.
Thank you for the update.
0 Replies