"Cloud of Sparrows" Historical Novels in the Far East

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 01:40 pm
Just picked up the new novelist Takashi Matsuoka's first novel, "Cloud of Sparrows." I'm about twenty-percent into the book which is in somewhat the same time frame as "Shogun" and entirely enthralled (some lost sleep this next couple of days for sure). 'Manchu" was another favorite from the Seventies but can anyone recommend other historical novels of the Orient? I've, of course, read all the Clavell, some more than once and seen all the film adaptations including what some consider to be the best min-series of all time "Shogun."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,080 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 01:58 pm
One of the most fascinating is The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It was written in the 14th century by a Mandarin bureaucrat who had read the old histories, and concerns itself with the collapse of the Later Han dynasty. It is truly an historical novel, in that it includes both real and fictional characters. Here's a link for a site which recommends English translations:

RTK Link[/b][/color]

Great novel, and it has spawned as much response in the East as Mallory's Morte d'Arthur has done in English. There are motion pictures from China, at least one "mini-series," board games, pc and playstation games--and i used to visit one RTK discussion board in Singapore.

Hope you enjoy it, Boss--it's a good read.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 03:00 pm
Thanks -- sounds like a good recommendation and I know you know you history.
0 Replies