What BOOK are you reading right now?

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 04:35 pm
excellent!
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 04:09 pm
Now I'm reading "Mystic River" by Dennis Lehane. I had tried before but couldn't get into it. Not that long ago, I read his "Shutter Island" and loved it, so I tried MR again. So far so good - about 150 pages into it.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 05:36 pm
Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:39 pm
My copy of Patriot Reign just got here. Can't wait to read it.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:31 pm
Plan of Attack

(courtesy of my Aunt).

I also need to pick up a CD player to listen to House Of Bush, House Of Saud when I head home in two weeks.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:35 pm
I have just ordered the two books (Lost victory and Panzer Leader) from Amazon.

but.........too expansive for me
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:33 pm
im not reading anything right now... anyone got any sugguestions?
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:12 am
I'm reading a book called 'The Comforts of Madness' by Paul Sayer. A very short book, but a good read.

I've just read Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, which was brilliant, and if you're looking for a book to read, I recommend a book called 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'. Its written by a man who could only move one eyelid. He dictated the whole book by blinking.

Brilliant. x
0 Replies

William1987

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:27 pm
Ulysses
Hey everyone,
This is my first post, so its nice to meet you all. I am reading Ulysses by James Joyce. I just started so i dont have much to say about it so far, but if anyone has any comments or interpretations of interest i would be happy to hear them. Thanks
0 Replies

William1987

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:40 pm
Book Suggestion
Dear Seed or anyone else look for a good read,
If you would like to read something obscure then I highly recomend Barefoot Boy With Cheek by Max Shulman. The book is halarious and should be on every bookshelf but as far as I know, it is virtually unheard of. I did a quick search for it on www.google.com and found a a few places where you could purchase it used, but no description, so I will give you a brief synopsis of my own. The book centers around a boy, whose name i sadly cannot recall at the moment, attending his first summer at Minnisotta University. It has man obscure and halarious references to White Castle and is one of the funniest books I have read.
Yeah, really bad description, but you should deffinitly check it out.
-William-
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:21 am
Hello, William & welcome to A2K. Very Happy
I hope you enjoy Ulysses. I started reading it about 5 times, over a number of years, & just couldn't get into it. Maybe I should try again?
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 02:54 am
Reading a book called 'The Interpreter' by Suzanne Glass. It's about a female interpreter called Dominique who overhears a conversation at a medical conference she was translating, concerning the implication that someone has discovered a prototype cure for HIV and AIDS. She has taken an oath as an interpreter but the twist is that her friend Mischa has AIDS and is going downhill fast. Throw in a love affair and I think you've got quite a good read, I hope. Just started it this morning.
0 Replies

travelbug

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:30 am
The Motorcycle Diaries, Notes from Che Guevara's journey round South America on a motorcycle. In Spanish. With the aid of a dictionary. It's taking me forever!

Also working my way through the Harry Potter books again.
0 Replies

travelbug

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:39 am
And A Gathering Light. It's based on a true story, a murder in the early 1900s. It's a very clever book, the main character is given the dead girl's letters to burn but reads them instead and makes a hard decision. There's two storylines running parallel throughout the book, one before the murder and one after. It's good but hard to get into at first. The moral, if you can call it that is about following your dreams and making your own decisions.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:24 pm
The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum. I just saw that the movie is coming out in Germany soon.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 11:56 am
Didn't know it was a book, the movie was fun. A wonderful book called The Twice Born, about the social psychology of different Indian castes, by Maurice Carstairs.
0 Replies

kekarnyek

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 02:24 pm
books made into movies
I read that one of you said you'd like to read a book that is NOT being made into a movie. I am the author of The Moral Vampire Series, as well as Noah's Garden and Mrs. Pope. I would be interested to learn of your viewpoints on any of these books, none of which are being made into movies at this time. My website is www.rosemariebishop.com. I'd love to hear from all of you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:10 am
I'm half-way through Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. I love the guy and this book. As, some of you may knopw already, he explains the history of scientific thought from the ancient greek thinkers to 2002 when the book was published. He delves into the inter-relationships between scientists and the influence of popular thought and religion.

Anyway, he explained that Mt St Helens would erupt soon again and that Japan was a ticking bomb almost as current siesmological events took place at each of those places. Spooky.

A great read.
0 Replies

maya

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:22 pm
Laidlaw-McIlvanney, kinda a twist on your run of the mill cop story. I like it.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:46 pm
Finished "Mystic River." Read John Sanford's "Easy Prey" ( a first Sanford for me) and am now reading "Shadow Prey," another of Sanford's books.
0 Replies