What BOOK are you reading right now?

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:14 pm
shepaints wrote:
Msolga....I also read the Summer Before Dark, I
think, was it about a woman who was a simultaneous translator?

Yes, that's right, shepaints. I first read it a long, long time ago & didn't realize it was a famous novel about the process of menopause. Embarrassed
So I recently read it again, to get things straight! Very Happy
I'm a great fan of Lessing, particularly her African stories & novels, the Martha Quest series & my all-time favourite novel, The Golden Notebook,
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:45 pm
shepaints wrote:
Other books re the British in India that I have
enjoyed are:
Freedom at Midnight
A Passage to India

Paul Scott's India novels are excellent, too. The Raj Quartet almost ruined my wrists (a lot of pages!) but I couldn't put it down. Fascinating reading! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:48 pm
Ms Olga - did you finish the poisonwood bible? Did you like it?

I read through Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Of Love and Other Demons in an evening. It was very nice.

I just started The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon.

(still haven't picked Cold Mountain up again)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:55 pm
Hi littlek

Yes, & I liked it very much, tthough I thought the last 3rd of the book could have done with a good edit. I've been unsuccessful in finding a used copy of Prodigal Summer, though I keep looking.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 09:31 pm
How much do you think it'd cost to ship you one? Have you tried an online seller like amazon?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 07:27 am
yes, msolga, I have read all of the ones you
mention by Doris Lessing. However I find
her rather relentlessly depressing.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 07:51 am
Quote:
Paul Scott's India novels are excellent, too.

Quote:
Yes, & I liked it very much, tthough I thought the last 3rd of the book could have done with a good edit

msolga, I loved all of Paul Scott's novels.

Re your comment on Poisonwood Bible. I had the same reaction. In fact, I was three-quarters of the way through the book when I put it down for good.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 05:19 pm
Funny, I had a hard time getting INTO the Poisonwood Bible. I don't recall it dragging at the end..... or do I.....?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 07:09 pm
just finished reading : "sixty million frenchman can't be wrong". from the review "... jean-benoit nadeau and julie barlow have puplished a tome dedicated to the difficult yet timely task of trying to explain what makes the french, well, the french". i think anyone trying to understand, as an example, the french worry about muslim schoolgirls wearing a headscarf, would gain a better understanding of the french point of view (but might still not agree with it). ... i'm about half-way through studs terkel's : "coming of age. the story of our century by those who lived it". i have to admit that i am a great fan of his writings; just love reading his interviews ! ... and i have just started a book by fergus linnane : " london's underworld - three centuries of vice and crime". sure makes my skin get goosebumbs reading it. have started to look over my shoulder when walking down the streets of our fair city (it's the penententiary capital of canada). we have six federal penetentiaries within about a 20 mile radius of the city; the BIG HOUSE sits practically in the downtown area, right next to the OLYMPIC SAILING SITE. the number seven prison - it was the only women's pen in canada was recently shut down - it was was feature in a CBC documentary about two or three years ago, called simply "P4W". hbg
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:10 pm
Quote:
i'm about half-way through studs terkel's : "coming of age. the story of our century by those who lived it". i have to admit that i am a great fan of his writings; just love reading his interviews !

Me, too. His works are compelling. I have not read this one. Want to.

Quote:
... and i have just started a book by fergus linnane : " london's underworld - three centuries of vice and crime". sure makes my skin get goosebumbs reading it.

Sounds great. I will look for it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:24 pm
kara : try to get your local librarian to order "sixty million frenchmen can't be wrong". you may not agree with the french way of doing things after having read it, but i think you'll at least understand why they are so different from north-americans. (i usually get my books from the public library or buy them second-hand; i would go broke buying all the books mrs. h and i carry home from the library every week). hbg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 04:09 am
littlek wrote:
How much do you think it'd cost to ship you one? Have you tried an online seller like amazon?

That's a very nice thought, littlek. Thanks. But I'm sure I'll come across a pre-loved copy soon. In the meantime, there are so many other good books to read! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 04:14 am
Kara

Another paul Scott fan! Very Happy Wonderful stuff, indeed! Very Happy

Speaking of novels about India, did you ever read Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy? What a pleasure that was! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 04:18 am
shepaints wrote:
yes, msolga, I have read all of the ones you
mention by Doris Lessing. However I find
her rather relentlessly depressing.

You're not alone in that assessment, shepaints. Almost everyone I've lent her novels to felt the same! I guess I read them at a time that I was really concerned with many of the issues she was exploring. They had a huge impact on me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 07:29 pm
The Shipping News by Annie Proulx

I'd listened to it as a radio drama - finally reading it. My rhythm is different than the radio drama's was. I'm liking the book better as a result.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 07:43 pm
I loved that book. The movie was a disaster.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:34 pm
I haven't read the book but the movie made me feel wretched. Sad Not a cheerful moment!

I've just finished a novel called Candelo, by a young Australian writer called Georgia Blain. Not bad at all! Very Happy

Now I'm wondering what to read next ... Any suggestions?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:09 pm
hmmmmm

well, life isn't always cheerful. Of course, I can't bear to read books by Anne Tyler cuz I think they're too horrifically depressing. Horrific and horrid.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:28 pm
msolga, ya shoulda read the book first. The book was a winna.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:31 pm
ehBeth, she's writ a few that were worth a read: Saint Maybe, The Accidental Tourist, well...what else. I don't find her depressing. More... realistic. Maybe that is depressing, eh?
0 Replies