The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 11:13 am
@Bradyboy,
http://imgur.com/3hpVTWp.gif
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Finished a short graphic memoir yesterday.
Petty Theft by Pascal Girard
https://i.imgur.com/wagiXed.jpg
I love the style of art and the writing is crisp, funny, and moving. But wow! The writer (as protagonist)? Is so whiny and freaking obnoxious.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 01:41 pm
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51N3oJT8lLL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

loving it
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 01:59 pm
@ehBeth,
He's a fascinating person. Heard a couple of different interviews with him on several different NPR programs.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 02:17 pm
@ehBeth,
He's that good chef, isn't he? I know I've read about him, will have to look him up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 02:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
He really is. I'm going to have to find more of his books.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 02:30 pm
I've been rereading books I've kept on my shelves since I liked them previously - while trying to cull those that don't pass the second time reading test. This week's is Almost Blue, by Carlo Lucarelli, translated from the italian. It's a police procedural set in Bologna, a city I've been to twice, one time for a day, another for a couple of days. Lot of history in that city.. among other things, it's called Bologna the Fat since it has long been famous for its food. Plus the famous university, famous at least to Europeans.

This one is on the gory side, but interesting in other ways, for the female protagonist/police inspector, and for a blind man who turns out to be a good help as the book moves along with the story. His dialogue is particularly fascinating.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 04:45 pm
@ehBeth,
He has an interesting background story so there's probably good material for this book, and he's obviously very bright and very passionate about cooking. I think I'll have to get this one.

He's is frequently a "judge" on the TV show "Chopped" (I know there's a Canadian version, because they air it from time to time here) and I sometimes find his criticism of a contestant's dish to be nit picky and pedantic (God forbid one of them calls something a ragout and it not meet the technical definition!) but I think all of the judges are encouraged to, in some sense, be this way, and the format seems to require that every dish receive some negative criticism preceded by a "but..." I don't think I have ever seen a show where all three judges only praised a dish. It must be tough sometimes to find fault with something you think is delicious, only because you're the judge the producers picked to go negative on that dish.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 04:54 pm
"Change Agent" by Daniel Suarez. CRISPR out of control Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 06:50 pm
@rosborne979,
Finished Lumberjanes Beware the Kitten Holy: Vol. 1;
Basically finished Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8) by Alan Bradley.
0 Replies

D45ist

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 08:02 pm
@Peace and Love,
The book is fabulously written, if not disturbing,

Claw your eyes out with a pasta fork before bothering to see the movie.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 08:21 pm
@littlek,
I downloaded the audio book of the book that started this thread .... 15 years later Smile
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2017 08:50 pm
I'm about 109 pages in to 'Killers of the Flower Moon' by David Grann. It's about the Osage murders in Oklahoma during the oil boom and land grab of the early 1900's.
0 Replies

lorainesimpson

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 12:28 am
@littlek,
The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 03:28 am
Just finished a history of Christian martyrs in the Roman empire. Gruesome, but an eye opener re. the power of martyrdom to change society.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 04:08 am
Judas by Amos Oz
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 06:46 am
@Roberta,
Hi there. I never read anything by him but have read good reviews. What do you think of the book so far?
Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 08:05 am
@Olivier5,
Hi there right back atcha.

This is the first book I've read by him. The writing (and translation) paints vivid pictures. The use of language is outstanding. The characters are "eccentric." But I don't feel drawn in yet. I'm almost at page 100.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2017 01:53 am
@Roberta,
Sounds familiar; maybe it'll get better.
0 Replies