ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2017 08:57 pm
@farmerman,

Not that I mind that you do.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2017 09:06 pm
@farmerman,
I messed up on answering, and do not understand a bunch of stuff.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2017 09:13 pm
@farmerman,
I've no clue who the winchester person is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2017 09:14 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
He aslo wrote the "Professor and the MAdman" about the OED.

For those who do not know what OED means; it's Oxford English Dictionary.
It's a fascinating book worth the read for everyone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 03:14 pm
Browsed used books today and came away with a practically brand new hard bound novel by Junichiro Tanizaki: Quicksand. The author was born in Tokyo, in 1886. Died in 1965.

A tale of infatuation and deceit, of deliberate evil.

sylviarose67

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 03:51 am
I am reading a couple.. One is Joanne Fluke's newest cozy mystery, the Banana Cream pie murder and I am also reading Crossing the Ice by Jennifer Comeaux which is a romance story set in the Ice Skating world..
0 Replies

iambook2017

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 07:28 am
@littlek,
Mans Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl - powerful stuff!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:37 am
Pietr the Latvian (the first Inspector Maigret mystery novel) by Georges Simenon.

It's really good so far and pretty short (158 easy to read pages). But I've been in a reading funk. Should have easily polished it off in less than a week. But....
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 01:22 pm
The Radetzky March, by Joseph Roth
(Originally in German as Radetzkymarsch)

Quite interesting, as are other writings from Roth.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 01:32 pm
I finished T. Coraghessan Boyle's [b]Without A Hero[/b]; small but dense book of 15 short stories; 1994, Penguin. What a writer! I didn't just like ever story, some better than others, but read every bit of them.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
I might like that. I've read some japanese thrillers or procedurals over the years.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:09 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Now I'm reading the namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. I'm about 1/4 the way through. One character annoys me, but isn't that what books are for? to trigger empathy, at least for some characters... or not.

rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:26 pm
Norse Mythology, by Neil Gaiman
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:31 pm
@izzythepush,
late tangent, re Bill Bryson..
I liked Walk in the Woods. Which is why I picked up the next two books -

I was aggravated by his making fun of people in Iowa.
In another book, I found his insults re the British not particularly funny.
Not that I can't take insults flying around often or at least sometimes funny, I'm at a2k, after all, but that they were, to me then, insulting while not being funny, creating a load of dead spaces, and triggered memories of spending a week in Iowa in my late teens. Plus I was insulted for Swimpy of A2k, good woman.

That was a while ago. If I ever see those books again, I'll check out if I still feel similarly grumpy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 03:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Browsed used books today and came away with a practically brand new hard bound novel by Junichiro Tanizaki: Quicksand. The author was born in Tokyo, in 1886. Died in 1965.

A tale of infatuation and deceit, of deliberate evil.

It's not that interesting, early on, but that may be because I am an old man and it is told in the voice of a 22 year old female, a married student who acts like a high schooler. As the plot develops, I may feel more involved. I have not picked it up in some days, but am going to finish it soon.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 03:27 pm
http://images.macmillan.com/folio-assets/macmillan_us_frontbookcovers_1000H/9780230103436.jpg

fascinating so far
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 03:29 pm
finished this a couple of days ago

http://www.willferguson.ca/images/biggerbooks_beautytips.jpg

it's everything I ever wanted from a Bryson without the annoyance factor
hamburgboy also recommends it

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:10 pm
I just finished reading Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston. It's about finding and unearthing a long-lost and abandoned city deep in the rain forests of Honduras. Part of it was interesting. Part of it was tedious. And part of it pissed me off.

Now I'm reading The Blooding by Joseph Wambaugh. It's a true story about the first use of DNA profiling in a crime.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 12:14 pm
@Roberta,
Finished Copperhead, Vol. 1: A New Sheriff in Town by Jay Faerber and Scott Godlewski last week.

Skimmed through On Cats: Charles Bukowski yesterday and this morning from the library.

Flying through The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6) by Alan Bradley.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 03:05 pm
just started

http://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1393135953i/589409._UY200_.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/books/review/09gray.html

opening of review

Quote:
THIS stunning book contains two narratives, one fictional and the other a fragmentary, factual account of how the fiction came into being.

"Suite Française" itself consists of two novellas portraying life in France from June 4, 1940, as German forces prepare to invade Paris, through July 1, 1941, when some of Hitler's occupying troops leave France to join the assault on the Soviet Union.

At the end of the volume, a series of appendices and a biographical sketch provide, among other things, information about the author of the novellas.

Born in Ukraine, Irène Némirovsky had lived in France since 1919 and had established herself in her adopted country's literary community, publishing nine novels and a biography of Chekhov.

She composed "Suite Française" in the village of Issy-l'Evêque, where she, her husband and two young daughters had settled after fleeing Paris.

On July 13, 1942, French policemen, enforcing the German race laws, arrested Némirovsky as "a stateless person of Jewish descent."

She was transported to Auschwitz, where she died in the infirmary on Aug. 17.