What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 02:36 pm
I'm reading Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros. I think I'll make it through, but her writing is a little crazymaking for me. I get confused about what character she is talking about, off and on. She writes in fairly short units about a variety of different families that so far are related in some way. It is set mostly (again, so far) in Mexico. As I like Mexico, this interests me. At least one character is annoying to the max. The character will show up again and be more sympathetic, sort of like in real families. I'm on p. 125, of 430. The points of view in any given bit of the book vary from a child's to an elderly person, and back again, more than one child, more than one adult.

The book is in english, but she tosses in spanish words and phrases. I used to be able to manage to communicate in fairly rotten spanish, but that was in the 60's/early 70's. The words are sort of familiar, but I miss most of that, and I don't want to get up and google phrases.

I'll say that I like the book, somewhat guardedly.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 07:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I've just spent a fat wad of time wrestling with my computer (this is not rare, old mac doesn't like me to click too fast or keep windows on for too much time). I had gone on and on about how I liked a Village Voice article about writers. I'm in no mood to immediately do that again, so I'll just provide the link -

http://www.villagevoice.com/arts/for-three-decades-ian-rankin-has-been-the-crime-fiction-king-9695834
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2017 02:12 am
Just read We Stand On Guard, a Canadian scifi graffic novel in which the US invades Canada. Delightfully subversive.

https://imagecomics.com/uploads/releases/_main/WSOG01_Cvr585x900.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2017 06:06 am
@Olivier5,
Brian K. Vaughn is my favorite comic book writer. I'll try and grab a copy of this from the library.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2017 06:24 am
@tsarstepan,
I think the scenario is hardly credible, towards the end in particular, but hey, it's sci-fi.

The art is pretty effective, nothing original but it does the work quite well. The dialogues are what I enjoyed the most. There's even a Quebequois cracking pretty good jokes in French all through the 6 episodes... Smile

The depiction of a fascist USA is what's credible, and scary, and subversive in the sense that you end up rooting for what is in essence a terrorist cell.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 03:53 am
@izzythepush,
That was fun, Izzy. The portrayal of Maugham was brilliant. John Banville's book, The Untouchable, is a good novel about the Cambridge spies.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 04:22 am
@hightor,
That was quick. I do devour the Gunther books very quickly, but I'm a fan, the first (Gunther) book I read, (which I got free with a magazine,) took a bit longer.
farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 04:57 am
@izzythepush,
The Road to Little Dribbling Another Bill Bryson visit home to the UK. Its ok, not as enjoyable as "In a Sunburned Country" or "Walk in the Woods"
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:01 am
@farmerman,
For some reason Bill Bryson provokes extreme reactions, a lot of people love him, but lots hate him too.
farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:17 am
@izzythepush,
I dont think I can "hate him" since
1. I dont know him and usually such intense emotion requires something more "close-in"

2. He dislikes English Bacon ,Says it "Sucks a big schlong"

3. He says that a "counterpane" should really be called what it is, a doily.

We now return you to the thread, already in progress.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:33 am
@farmerman,
You didn't even know what bacon was until recently, Americans always had ham an eggs, and all of a sudden you've discovered bacon, but you've not, you've discovered some horrible, fatty, stringy tasteless muck that's not fit for human consumption.

Nobody says counterpane, and a doily is a bit of paper that goes on the table, for people too lazy to wash their tablecloths.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mDRV-eAzXyitvC6BgftbmRQ.jpg
You know, I'm starting to hate him.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:17 pm
@izzythepush,
I can take or leave him - but he will always have my admiration for:

"Canberra; why wait for death?"
hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:20 pm
@hingehead,
And "A Short History of Nearly Everything" was my favourite generalist sciencey book since "Asimov's New Guide to Science"
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 08:22 pm
@hingehead,
I read this many years ago, but still remember it to this day.
The Map That Changed The World by Simon Winchester.

Quote:
In 1793, a canal digger named William Smith made a startling discovery. He found that by tracing the placement of fossils, which he uncovered in his excavations, one could follow layers of rocks as they dipped and rose and fell—clear across England and, indeed, clear across the world—making it possible, for the first time ever, to draw a chart of the hidden underside of the earth. Smith spent twenty-two years piecing together the fragments of this unseen universe to create an epochal and remarkably beautiful hand-painted map. But instead of receiving accolades and honors, he ended up in debtors' prison, the victim of plagiarism, and virtually homeless for ten years more.
The Map That Changed the World is a very human tale of endurance and achievement, of one man's dedication in the face of ruin. With a keen eye and thoughtful detail, Simon Winchester unfolds the poignant sacrifice behind this world-changing discovery.
hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 08:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I had a three in one book by Simon Winchester that included this, one about the Yangste River and one about the birth of the Oxford English Dictionary.
(looked them up:
The River at the Center of the World: A Journey Up the Yangtze, and Back in Chinese Time
The Surgeon of Crowthorne: A Tale of Murder, Madness and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary )

Pretty good but could get tedious in spots.

For books in this style I liked The Ghost Map : The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic – and How it Changed Science, Cities and the Modern World https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_Map

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 08:42 pm
@hingehead,
You posted,
Quote:
The River at the Center of the World: A Journey Up the Yangtze, and Back in Chinese Time

I went on a long cruise on the Yangtze River many years ago, so I have some interest on the book. Will check it out the local library soon.

I checked on the book on the internet, and the library has that book.
http://sccl.santaclaraca.gov/search

Thanks for the head's up. Looking forward to reading it. I like the way Simon Winchester really does a good job on his research before he starts writing his books.

I think I read the book on the Oxford dictionary. It sounds familiar, but my memory is failing me at my age.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 10:10 pm
China Dolls

http://www.lisasee.com/books-new/china-dolls/

from a review

Quote:
But never lost in the process is See’s portrayal of an era so different from our own, in which racial discrimination was treated with an easy acceptance that found its zenith with the Japanese internment camps but also seeped into arenas both large and small.

See shows Life magazine telling its readers how to distinguish the Japanese from Chinese according to height and complexion. “After decades of being inscrutable,” she writes, “suddenly Chinese could be identified by their placid, kindly and open expressions.”

Given an environment that tolerated such nonsense, what’s surprising is not how few Americans crossed the line to build relationships with those from a different racial background, but how many.

not as fluffy as the cover suggests

great background info at the website

http://www.lisasee.com/insidechinadolls/
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 09:44 pm
I'm was still trying re Sandra Cisneros writing. What a gobblede gook. To me, some of her writing is wonderful and much is hard to figure out (who is she talking about now? can take some minutes or more) and when will she mention who the person is next? in no particular order? often no order at all. I officially give up at somewhere around page 160.

I get it she is inventive, not least with hard to read titles, in apparently girly script. Nice cover though.

Bye.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2017 07:52 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Book of five short graphic horror stories" Through the Woods by Emily Carroll
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2017 07:59 pm
@hingehead,
I'm now reading "The River at the Center of the World" by Simon Winchester. I'm now on page 24; I read it before I go to sleep. I think I'll remain engaged, because I think there may be some places that he mentions that I have visited along the river.
He starts out the book about how the river came into being, but he also points out the very unusual bend in the river at Shigu that looks like a V. He explains how that came to be. That's the reason I love reading his books; he researches his stuff and gets at the answer to tough questions.
More later. I'll be leaving for Hawaii in a few days, and I won't be taking the book with me.