What BOOK are you reading right now?

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 10:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsar, Finished Mission to Paris. It was good, not great. By the time I finished it, I didn't trust anybody--in all of Europe.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 12:00 am
@Wilso,
"Always carry a towel". Advice without explanation.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 04:46 am
@edgarblythe,
A wonderful writer. Sadly missed.
farmerman

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 04:52 am
@dlowan,
My fist read of Doctorow was "The Book OF Daaniel". I was like 21, a dumass chem grad student and needed escape (but not too far)
He was really a good teacher and I sucked up a lot of tips for my own communication from him.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 05:14 am
ReReading Still Here by Ram Dass
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 10:29 pm
@farmerman,
I have a copy of "Ragtime", I know I've read that twice, but I can't remember if I read "The Book of Daniel"

Always sad to learn we've lost another artist.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 07:51 am
Reading: The Memory Man
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 09:39 am
How do you read fiction? I read fiction four decades ago, then somewhere along the calendar I felt I was wasting my time reading someone's fictional story. I can only read non-fiction these days. I think it has to do with eventual mortality - why spend time pandering by reading someone's imaginative story, when there are things that I still am wondering about, and never did get answered.

You might take it as a non-compliment, but the people I know that continually read fiction, in my opinion, correlates to many who feel their time is well spent by finding a source of titillating entertainment - movies, fiction, travel, etc..

And, what's the breakout for e-readers vs. book readers?

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 03:54 pm
@Foofie,
I enjoy detective, crime, spy novels. I rarely read anything else, except for poetry and some magazines on the subject of WRITING.

I usually buy the hard-covered books because they hold up better over time and I never read e-books.

By the way, I'm glad you're back on A2K, Foofie. Are you glad to be back?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:14 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
I read fiction four decades ago, then somewhere along the calendar I felt I was wasting my time reading someone's fictional story. I can only read non-fiction these days. I think it has to do with eventual mortality - why spend time pandering by reading someone's imaginative story, when there are things that I still am wondering about, and never did get answered.

the reason is because fiction puts us in touch with the myths that we live by, which is as important or almost as important as are the facts we live by.

Still, I have read mostly non fiction, heavily skewed towards matters of the spirit and heart, and practical matters. Outside of the occasional random novel about all I have read are the russians, who appeal to me for some reason.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:26 pm
I'm reading a Lescroart book. Merry Andrew turned me on to them, and by now I think of the characters, good bad or impossible, as family. I've read a bunch of them - I like the characterization, I like the territory - but have gone back to read from early to later.

This one is The Mercy Rule.
Don't tell me the ending, I'll figure it out.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:19 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

By the way, I'm glad you're back on A2K, Foofie. Are you glad to be back?

What's this word "glad" you use in a sentence? It sounds like some Scandanavian word? I'll use it in a sentence: Ve saw the glad fjord from the hill.

Now I'll ask a question. Have you overcome the desire to see Hillary be President? After watching the PBS documentary on The Roosevelts, and the picture of Eleanor looking pleased at her completed U.N. Human Rights after it was adopted, I do not think many women can follow in her footsteps. She was born to early, in my opinion.
Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:23 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Still, I have read mostly non fiction, heavily skewed towards matters of the spirit and heart, and practical matters. Outside of the occasional random novel about all I have read are the russians, who appeal to me for some reason.

I like the Russians for the exoticness of their being Eurasian (as they were referred to when I was a child). Being white bread Caucasian can be boring.
0 Replies

nickysquido

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:41 pm
I am reading "Vordak the Incomprehensible" book to check for which grade of students this book is good.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 12:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

... about all I have read are the russians, who appeal to me for some reason.

Are you Russian? Not me, for sure. Thank the good Lord...Amen to that, I say.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 12:21 pm
@Foofie,
Instead of asking you, if you're GLAD to be back on A2K, let me ask if you are HAPPY. Are you HAPPY to be back on A2K?

As far as Mrs. Clinton, yes, I still fully support her and wish her well . If not her, then I support Marco Rubio.

Are you for TRUMP??
Foofie

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:41 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Instead of asking you, if you're GLAD to be back on A2K, let me ask if you are HAPPY. Are you HAPPY to be back on A2K?

As far as Mrs. Clinton, yes, I still fully support her and wish her well . If not her, then I support Marco Rubio.

Are you for TRUMP??

I like Ike. This election is just an exercise in futility, in my opinion. Both parties.

And, I haven't been "happy" since I was much younger, possibly before kindergarten. Something that could pass for happy might be when I kvell for certain people in my family.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 06:04 pm
I've finished a legal/police procedural by a writer that Merry Andrew recommended. It was rather long and complicated, as his work tends to be, but I always get interested. This one involved a murder trial with many sides to what possibly happened, most of them interesting.

The Mercy Rule, by John Lescroart

He has written a lot, and once I knew I liked his writing I've tried to go back and read them in at least close to consecutive order, but whether or not I do that, I tend to enjoy the books anyway.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 06:58 pm
Hungry Town, about New Orleans food culture and restaurants.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 12:29 pm
@fbaezer,
To FB - I'm rereading my one Padura book, Havana Red, and found your post while looking up what I said about it before (still looking). I've got about five pages to go on my reread.

He's amazing.

I'll read The Man who loved Dogs next.
0 Replies