What BOOK are you reading right now?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 12:57 pm
I'm reading The Cellist of Sarajevo by Stephen Galloway for a community read. It is great. Coming on the heels of teaching Hamlet and preparing to teach The Dead, this is a good book because most of it takes place in the minds of the four characters who ponder war and reality as well as friendship, promises, death and responsibility.

Galloway is a master wordsmith and the concepts are amazing.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 01:31 pm
@plainoldme,
What did you teach your students regarding the scene between H and O in Act 3 Scene 1? I would be interested, perhaps entertained, in how you handled that little beaut.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 01:46 pm
@spendius,
I'm reading Donald Thomas's biography of Henry Fielding. I have read it before but I always find the first time with a book to be quite similar to the first time with a lady.

Prof. Thomas also wrote a biography of the Marquis de Sade.

I recommend both books for students of history and to those rarer souls who are students of life. It is only by reading such biographies that the works of the subjects of them can be properly appreciated.

Teachers in colleges and other so-called educational establishments are a complete waste of time. And space too I don't doubt.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 02:10 pm
@Debacle,
Thanx for the write up. When the London Times divulged who the author was the book shot up to the top of the best sellers list.
Doesn't seem quite right somehow.
Debacle

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:46 pm
@panzade,
No, it doesn't. Especially when it's set next to the hard-won success of, say, Stanley Gordon West, who had to self-publish his novel and sell it from the trunk of his car, traveling from bookstore to bookstore. Finally, after more than ten years, when it was reported that he had sold 40,000 copies by word-of-mouth alone, he was approached by a publisher. It then sold over 150,000 copies immediately and is still selling well at the present time.

The book is titled Blind Your Ponies. It's not an exceptional book, only it's history is unusual. Probably the best thing about it is the title, which supposedly comes from a Native American expression in reference to some insurmountable disaster: blind your pony and ride it over a cliff.

0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 07:46 am
I came across a rather interesting website when I was looking for the meaning of sukebind which comes from Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm.

For what it's worth, here's the link: http://www.bookdrum.com/.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:32 am
@Debacle,
Thanks. It does look interesting.
spendius

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 08:46 am
@ossobuco,
The Stones of Summer is a novel by American writer Dow Mossman. Both the novel and Mossman are also subjects of Mark Moskowitz's Slamdance award-winning film, Stone Reader.

I saw that film. Has anybody read the book?

When Moskowitz tracked down Mossman he found him stoking the boiler in a school.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:35 am
@ossobuco,
Gibbons coined a fair number of words in Cold Comfort Farm, which are included in this glossary, amongst others which are commonly known:

http://www.bookdrum.com/books/cold-comfort-farm/9780140274141/glossary.html

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 08:37 am
@Debacle,
Haven't heard THAT book mentioned for yonks.
Debacle

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 11:00 am
@dlowan,
A yonk is roughly how long it's been since I read it. Mebbe a yonk and a quatter.

0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2013 12:45 pm
@Debacle,
Quote:
here's the link: http://www.bookdrum.com/.

Great website - thank you!
Debacle

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:09 am
@vonny,
The Book of Barely Imagined Beings: A 21st Century Bestiary by Caspar Henderson. A beautiful book to hold and behold.

Here's an Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Barely-Imagined-Beings/dp/022604470X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#reader_022604470X

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 10:08 pm
@Debacle,
Cold Comfort Farm wasmade into a movie I remember fondly
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 10:14 pm
@plainoldme,
I'm reading a book by Robert Wilson, an author I have liked before.

The last one of his was A Small Death in Lisbon. This one is The Blind Man of Seville. He writes in one of the ways I like re police procedurals. Many of those are pulsing sensationalistism, and he is the opposite sort of writer. Thoughtful. Delves into history. A mix of taut writing with some psychological exploration of all concerned. Plus the settings: I get to read about Portugal and Spain.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 06:06 pm
Just finished Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel by Alan Bradley this afternoon.

Going to start Gun Machine by Warren Ellis tomorrow morning.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:20 am

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b9ln7j37L._AA200_.jpg

From the editorial blurb:

"The great master of farce turns to an exclusive island retreat for a comedy of mislaid identities, unruly passions, and demented, delicious disorder.

On the private Greek island of Skios, the high-paying guests of a world-renowned foundation prepare for the annual keynote address, to be given this year by Dr. Norman Wilfred, an eminent authority on the scientific organization of science. He turns out to be surprisingly youthful, handsome, and charming—quite unlike his reputation as dry and intimidating. Everyone is soon eating out of his hands. So, even sooner, is Nikki, the foundation's attractive and efficient organizer.

Meanwhile, in a remote villa at the other end of the island, Nikki's old friend Georgie has rashly agreed to spend a furtive horizontal weekend with a notorious schemer, who has characteristically failed to turn up. Trapped there with her instead is a pompous, balding individual called Dr. Norman Wilfred, who has lost his whereabouts, his luggage, his temper, and increasingly all sense of reality—indeed, everything he possesses other than the text of a well-traveled lecture on the scientific organization of science.

In a spiraling farce about upright academics, gilded captains of industry, ambitious climbers, and dotty philanthropists, Michael Frayn, the farceur "by whom all others must be measured," tells a story of personal and professional disintegration, probing his eternal theme of how we know what we know even as he delivers us to the outer limits of hilarity."

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:42 am
@Debacle,
I hate it when they tell you what is going to happen after the first page. Which is why I rarely look at the back book cover for more than a millisecond.
Anyway, sounds like a good one.
0 Replies

beautifulspring

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 12:44 pm
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind and I highly recommend it. If you like good books, you should read it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 04:13 pm
The Leopard by Tomaso di Lampedusa. Very astute depiction of History at work through ordinary (and less ordinary) people's life.