What BOOK are you reading right now?

wandeljw

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 05:59 am
@panzade,
Very nice, panzade! This must be where you do your research on music history.
panzade

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 03:15 pm
@wandeljw,
too kind
but I have been reading a remarkable collection of short novels all in one book called Seven Contemporary Short Novels. It's a college textbook and it includes:
1. Slaughterhouse Five-Kurt Vonnegut
2. Ballad Of The Sad Cafe-Carson McCullers
3. Goodbye Columbus-Phillip Roth
4. Noon Wine-Katherine Ann Porter
5. Seize The Day-Saul Bellow
6. Of Mice And Men-John Steinbeck
7. The Violent Bear It Away-Flannery O'Connor

At the end of each novel there's a wonderful explanation of the themes and styles the author employs.
Good reading y'all
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 04:32 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Has anybody read Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow? What do you think?

Started it...got bored.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 04:35 pm
@panzade,
Is that for real?

If so, how do you keep it so neat?
panzade

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 09:39 pm
@dlowan,
Nah. It's just a nice picture. But one can dream.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 06:59 pm
HI all! I've been reading a variety of books this summer. My sister just brought back some French children's books from Quebec. I've translated one so far.

My current list
What a Plant Knows discusses plants' 5 senses.
Horseshoe Crabs and Velvet Worms explains where some of the world's "living fossils" came from as well as where they can be found today. It's a pretty awesome read even though the British author is a bit smarmy.
A Briefer History of Time which is taking a not so brief period of time to read through.
Fragile Things which is a collection of Gaiman shorts
Stories - a compilation of sci-fi shorts
Long Earth co-authored by Terry Pratchett is about a string of millions of earths which occupy the same location, but have a different history from one another and are separated by a mere thought.

I like how my little collection, especially What a Plant Knows, Horseshoe Crabs and Velvet Worms, A Briefer History of Time, and Long Earth, sort of overlap while I'm reading.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 07:01 pm
@littlek,
Hey,k! Where you been hiding?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 07:12 pm
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dq0uR318iqs/Td2lRG9131I/AAAAAAAAFhI/sPI15WxH-LU/s1600/cover_king-in-the-window.jpg

I am in love with this book.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 07:31 pm
@ehBeth,
My wife volunteers at the public library, and she bought me the book by Carlos Eire with the title "Waiting for Snow in Havana." I'm just a few pages into it, but I really enjoy the way this man's memoirs as a boy describes the time of the revolution in Havana.

The enjoyment is increased from the simple fact that I'm quite familiar with Havana, and know where his experiences happened.

On my first visit to Croatia, I remember seeing the devastation of the war; buildings totally destroyed, and many walls still with bullet holes. The Havana of today doesn't show the wear and tear of the war, but the inability of the Cubans to maintain their buildings in good repair from age. They are now working on renovating the capitol building, but that project will take many years. Many of the new buildings such as the "new" hotels are in excellent condition - and are comparable to the best the world over. Also, most, if not all, of their museums are in good repair.

It's amazing how Eire is able to describe what he and his family experienced back in the fifties; his prose is simple, yet elegant.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:42 am
just got this delivered by courier (won it from a sci fi site)
really looking forward to reading it, lots of fave authors involved

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6037/5881950834_32e49297c2.jpg

For lovers of Steampunk, Dark Fantasy, and Eccentric Contraptions! After the death of Dr. Lambshead, an astonishing cabinet of curiosities was unearthed at his house. Many of these artifacts and wonders related to anecdotes and stories in the doctor's personal journals, or the adventures of his friends. We are now proud to present highlights from the doctor's cabinet, reconstructed not only through visual representations but also through exciting stories of intrigue and adventure. Rumors that Dr. Lambshead never existed are scurrilous and should be ignored!

The death of Dr. Thackery T. Lambshead in 2003 at his house in Wimpering-on-the-Brook, England, revealed an astonishing discovery: the remains of a remarkable cabinet of curiosities.

A carefully selected group of popular artists and acclaimed, bestselling fantasy authors has been assembled to bring Dr. Lambshead’s cabinet of curiosities to life. Including contributions from Alan Moore, Lev Grossman, Mike Mignola, China Mieville, Cherie Priest, Carrie Vaughn, Greg Broadmore, Naomi Novik, Garth Nix, Michael Moorcock , Holly Black, Jeffrey Ford, Ted Chiang, and many more.

0 Replies

Nana7

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 09:55 am
@littlek,
Twilight
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 08:00 pm
http://www.newint.org/books/gift/letters_from_the_edge_image_2.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 12:25 am
I'm reading a book I've had for years and never cracked open -

Witold Rybczynski's City Life.

Why? I spent a lot of years reading about design of cities and doing some designing myself and painting in my spare time and, at some point, the last thing I wanted to do was read more on the subject.

I yield - very interesting book. I will probably read it twice.
Not that I will always agree with him (that was part of my avoidance as I think I disagreed with him on the last article I read, something about housing tracts, now some years ago).
But, in the meantime, I consider the book a Best Read.
nextone

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 12:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Wonderful to find this topic going strong. Just began Cripple Creek by James Sallis. He's aterrific writer, mystery genre but universal themes and thoughtful characters. This is the second book in a series featuring deputy sheriff John Turner. Highly recommend this author.

Recently completed the five....so far....books in Game of Thrones..and am waiting patiently for the next installment. George Martin"s work reminds me of a cross between Tolkien and Stephen King. Very entertaining, lengthy very readable. Have been without TV for over two years. Lots of time to read.
wandeljw

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 05:23 pm
Lisa See published this mystery novel in 2003. It is set in present day Beijing. The heroine is an inspector for the Ministry of Public Security.

http://www.lisasee.com/images/newbooks/DRAGONBONES_med.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 07:30 pm
@wandeljw,
I bet she's related to Carolyn See..
roger

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 08:28 pm
@nextone,
Thanks. I'll try to remember the name.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 06:52 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I bet she's related to Carolyn See..

Carolyn See is her mother, Osso.
panzade

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 09:57 am
I kept forgetting this book was a novel.
Moving account of a Chinese prisoner in a Korean POW camp. The camp is a microcosm of the struggle between East and West.
Very timely

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/102970000/102975801.jpg
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 11:43 am
@roger,
James Sallis: The Long-legged Fly First in this series followed by, Moth; Black Hornet, Eye of the Cricket, Bluebottle ,
Ghost of a Flea ................. Enjoy
0 Replies