What BOOK are you reading right now?

markbyrne2

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 06:19 am
@littlek,
I am reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 01:59 am
@markbyrne2,
Amongst others, I found Edith Sitwell's autobiography in a second hand bookshop today!

Amazing and gloriously Sitwellian.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 02:31 am
@dlowan,
I started to read Alexandra Horowitz's Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know today. Fascinating and accessible work of science on the cognitive and social abilities of dogs. Plus it's a minor minor fix for not being able to have a dog. Okay a really temporary fix at that.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 08:05 am
Started reading The Passage by Justin Cronin just before the holiday weekend. What a great story teller he is. I couldn't put it down and kept wishing our company would leave already so I could get back to reading! Embarrassed

Anxiously awaiting book #2 in the trilogy.
mags314772

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 08:20 am
@Irishk,
Am reading Children of God, the sequel to a Mary Doria Russel'sThe Sparrow , about a group of Jesuits and laypeople who travel to a distant planet. The sequel deals with a return trip, which includes the only survivor of the first voyage, and goes into much more detail about the residents of the planet. Not your typical science fiction yarn....both books are a ripping good read
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 08:26 am
@Irishk,
i really enjoyed The Passage, and am also looking forward to the sequel ( listened to from audible, sometimes sitting outside at night with a small fire, really good way to experience the book)

just finished re-listening to M is for Magic and Fragile Things, two Neil Gaiman short story collections

currently listening to Earthlight and Other Stories by Arthur C Clarke and reading the first volume of Warriors an anthology of stories edited by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 11:51 am
I'm reading several books at the same time. I'm almost done with A Princess Bride. Such a great book.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:15 pm
Finished my re-read of Titus Andronicus.
Now I remember why I hated it.
What next? Othello? MacBeth? R&J?
Gargamel

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:32 pm
@George,
Othello.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:35 pm
Eleven by Mark Watson.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:37 pm
@George,
I'd go for Measure for Measure, it gets more relevant day by day. 12th Night and the Tempest are very enjoyable. Macbeth is very short, it's also the main play taught in Seconary Schools over here. As a result I've seen/ read it far more times than I should care to mention. If you do read it, make sure you read James Thurber's short story Macbeth Murder Mystery, that's brilliant.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:40 pm
@izzythepush,
Btw, I'm eagerly awaiting GRR Martin's A Dance With Dragons. I've preordered it, but I'm starting to wish that I hadn't, apparantly it's in the post, but it's in the shops tomorrow.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:43 pm
@Irishk,
Warning, spoilers.

Just finished it, I liked it! I've been reading a fair amount of modern romance novel-type stuff (not outright Fabio cover romance novels, but the chick lit versions that usually have covers with white backgrounds featuring beautifully photographed shoes or women with obscured faces and fabulous clothes) for this book club and it annoyed me that this book (Guernsey...) ended up fitting right smack dab into that formula. Smart, gorgeous, post-30 single lady with a career just wants to find a nice man and by the end of the book she has a) rejected the cad for b) the nice guy and c) wound up with a ready-made family made up of herself, nice guy and d) the adorable urchin who she has bonded with before realizing that she's mother material, after all.

If the formula is removed, though, the actual writing is pretty good, especially Juliet's "voice" (via letters) and many of the details were interesting.
patiodog

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:12 pm
Short-term re-reading of God's Middle Finger, a Sierra Madre travelogue by some British expat of the road-smitten type. First read was mostly on airplanes. Second read, from comfort and temporal laxity of an afternoon hammock is entertaining and interesting so far.

Much of what the author decries and finds fascinating in Sierra Madre, I think, is a cluster of traits he finds lacking in himself (to both the credit and discredit of both).
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:24 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Warning, spoilers.

Just finished it, I liked it! I've been reading a fair amount of modern romance novel-type stuff (not outright Fabio cover romance novels, but the chick lit versions that usually have covers with white backgrounds featuring beautifully photographed shoes or women with obscured faces and fabulous clothes) for this book club and it annoyed me that this book (Guernsey...) ended up fitting right smack dab into that formula. Smart, gorgeous, post-30 single lady with a career just wants to find a nice man and by the end of the book she has a) rejected the cad for b) the nice guy and c) wound up with a ready-made family made up of herself, nice guy and d) the adorable urchin who she has bonded with before realizing that she's mother material, after all.

If the formula is removed, though, the actual writing is pretty good, especially Juliet's "voice" (via letters) and many of the details were interesting.

If you want a book with interesting female characters who definitely do not fit any formula, I would recommend Daniel Woodrell's Winter's Bone.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:30 pm
Down to just a few books at the moment
Life in the West - Brian Aldiss
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith
Slow journey south - Paula Constant
The Shipping News - Annie Proulx
AARNet: 20 years of the internet in Australia (did you know Australia's first 'live link' with the internet was a 56kbps modem cofunded by NASA and joining the University of Melbourne with University of Hawaii - ALL Oz overseas internet traffic went through that modem?)
Art into Pop - Simon Frith and Howard Horne

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:40 pm
@sozobe,
Excellent review with which I agree...an amiable journey with a predictable destination.

Thinking of starting A Game of Thrones tonight. Finally downloaded from library after being in line forever (there were more than a hundred people ahead of me)!
djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:48 pm
@Irishk,
i'm reading Martin's three novellas set in the same world as Game of Thrones, The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight, pretty good little tales so far
Irishk

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:56 pm
@djjd62,
Those aren't in any of my public libraries, but I found Warriors! (Which I think you also recommended).

Also scored books 2 & 3 of his Fire and Ice series. Dark fantasy-world, here I come lol. (I'll surprise myself if I manage to stay the course).
panzade

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 05:02 pm
Summer means I read Le Carre. I had missed The Night Manager when it first came out. Such beautiful prose.

Quote:
(Le Carre)..reveals once again why nobody writes espionage fiction with his kind of authority.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QnAOC7J4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg