What BOOK are you reading right now?

spendius

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm a Braudel fan osso so you had better be careful. We don't want you ending up like me. I've not read that though.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:15 pm
@spendius,
Trouble is, it's full of footnotes, footnotes that are actually interesting but in small print, she says, squinting.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:50 pm
If The Church Were Christian Phillip Gulley
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
i really liked The Strain, the sequel not so much, but i'll probably listen to the third one when it comes out
Irishk

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 05:32 pm
@djjd62,
I checked out all three books in the Hunger Games series on your recommendation. Haven't started reading yet...remembered what you said about the second one...or maybe it was the last one.
djjd62

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 07:14 pm
@Irishk,
the third was a bit of a let down i thought, but i wanted to finnish the trilogy
Irishk

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:01 pm
@djjd62,
Oh, I'll finish it. I'm stubborn that way, plus I've already checked them out from the library. Right now I'm finishing up a 5-book series that I'm not entirely wild about, but checked out on the strength of something I read about the author. It hasn't been torture, exactly, but I'm determined to finish the series before returning the books.
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 05:40 am
@Irishk,
what series?
msolga

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:39 am
Over half way through Jonathan Franzen's Freedom.
Just wanting to compare reading experiences with others who have read the book:
Did you find the second half lagged a bit, compared to the first?
I ripped through the first half (read it in a couple of days) & am finding I'm dragging my feet now.
Maybe it's because of interruptions to my reading, I'm not sure.
mags314772

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:01 am
@msolga,
Frankly, I dragged myself through the entire book. Just didn't see what the hoopla was about...didn't care about any of the characters, either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:57 am
@msolga,
It dragged in the middle for me, but I got interested again.
Irishk

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:46 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
what series?

It was a 5-book series called Honor Bound, written by a guy who supposedly wrote the M.A.S.H. series (which appealed to me). Our local library is only slowly building up their epub/digital section, so when new additions pop up we get all excited lol. Anyway, the series was not full of the wit you'd assume, but tedious and filled with too many characters. It was described as a WWII 'thriller', and although some of the history (it takes place in South America) was new and interesting to me, there was little 'thrilling' to recommend.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:01 pm
@Irishk,
Larry Gelbart? Gelbart was one of my favorite writers back when I was a tv fiend. Just checked, no, W.E.B. Griffin..
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:59 pm
At work: Finished The Strain on Monday. Started The Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst.

For my walks home: Finished Legacy of Ashes. Restarted listening to Foundation by Issac Asimov.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
In the beginning of The Foreign Correspondent, part of the story takes place during the Spanish Civil War, does anyone know an accessible yet accurate history of the war?

Above and beyond the Ernest Hemingway novel though I might consider actually reading For Whom The Bell Tolls (it would be my first foray into Hemingway territory) but after reading a nonfiction work. Doubly good if the history is in audiobook format so I can read it while at work.
msolga

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 03:17 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks for the feedback, mags & osso.
While I don't think it's a disaster or anything like that, it didn't quite live up to my expectations.
But I will persevere & finish it though!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:41 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes, I do, but I have to search for the title and author back aways on this thread. Will post when I find it.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 09:15 am
@ossobuco,
Found it -
Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett. It's by far the most interesting book I've read about Spain.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Books/Pix/covers/2006/03/16/ghosts.jpg

Guardian review here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006/mar/19/historybooks.features
Irishk

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 09:33 am
@ossobuco,
Well done, MsOsso!!!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 12:16 pm
Room by Emma Donoghue

I can wait to get home to finish this. I started last night and hated when I had to put it down.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL6BibPqG679mUd_a4aF-acG54hA_w_DreyBfxgfW_E8fP-TqR