What BOOK are you reading right now?

Pemerson

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm reading The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet and 3/4 through this tough read. Definitely not a quick summer on the beach type book. Soo many characters with foreign names, and at times their last names are used! To quote one reviewer, 'David, David, where are you going.' But, I'm still going on with the reading, determined to find out just exactly what the story is about. I think the idea is when you get to the end, then you know what he's been talking about.

I will send it to you if you let me know where. But, how would you do that?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:50 pm
@Irishk,
Oh yeah....needed to be shot in MS. A friend of mine who grew up in Jackson during this time is the one who gave me the book to read. I had no clue. No clue.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 09:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's, unfortunately, a community college.

I warned them that poetry is difficult.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 02:39 pm
Between Meals: An Appetite For Paris by A.J. Liebling

Damn thing almost killed me.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 04:28 pm
I'm listening to the audiobook version of Fahrenheit 451 read by the author, Ray Bradbury. Listening to it at work and already listened to a 3rd of it so far, the novel has cemented itself as one of my favorite all time novels.

I'm also reading (on my commute to and from work) J. R. Ackerley's memoir about his life with his dog, Tulip titled My Dog Tulip.

And I can't stop recommending the film that just came out in it's limited theatrical release. If you have a chance? Go and see it! When it comes out on video? Grab a copy! It's one of the most charming and original animated dog movies out there.
djjd62

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 04:43 pm
listening to Black House by Stephen King & Peter Straub, a sequel of sorts to The Talisman, but also very tied in to King's Dark Tower series

also reading The Ninth Circle by Alex Bell, an interesting fantasy novel, it's written as a journal, and i'm reading in real time, (started mid August, won't finish until the new year)

also reading Perfect From Now On by John Sellers, a Gen X coming of age biography, told mostly through musical reference
hingehead

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 04:47 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
Perfect From Now On by John Sellers, a Gen X coming of age biography, told mostly through musical refere

How many thumbs up? Comparison to High Fidelity? Enquiring minds!
djjd62

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 04:53 pm
@hingehead,
Embarrassed never read high fidelty

read the nick hornby song book

this is not a great book, it really only resonates because he grew up in detroit (i grew up across the border, so lots of identifiable references), he's only 8 years younger than me, and his favourite band is also my favourite band (Ohio's Guided By Voices)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 05:03 pm
used my Audible credits to purchase The Passage, so it's next on my listening pile ( Confused ), damn thing's around 40 hours
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 05:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Read this when I was about 14 Tsar. Cool read. Smash the system.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:11 am
@hingehead,
I have read it a half dozen times. Ray Bradbury's reading was done well enough but on a few times I couldn't figure by his attempt at changes his voice per different characters which character was speaking. He's not really a natural born actor.

Still it was a great read to keep my mind purring while at work.

This week, I'm listening to Kurt Vonnegut's short story collection Welcome to the Monkey House. Far more romance then I expected. Still very well written and very relevant.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:42 am
I had thought that Evan S. Connelll's Son of the Morning Star was the ultimate last word on the fracas at the Little Bighorn and G.A. Custer's so-called 'last stand.' Had re-ead it just within the past year and agreed with the Christian Science Monitor blurb on the back cover that this is "...Custer as Flaubert would have written it...a great book."

Now comes Nathaniel Philbrick, local boy from Nantucket and author of Mayflower and In the Heart of the Sea with a new, impressively researched and foot-noted volume called simply The Last Stand. A good friend of mine sent me this totally fascinating book, hot off the press (2010 copyright date). It's a fascinating narrative, see-sawing back and forth between Custer's troop movements and activities at the Lakota and Cheyenne encampent of some 8,000 warriors. Philbrick utilizes some previously unpublished sources, e.g. the writings of Pvt. Peter Thompson, a participant in the fight, begun only months after the battle, as well as the eye-witness testimony of Natives who participated. I recommend this book highly to anyone interested in that period of our history. Good and fascinating reading.
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:58 am
@Merry Andrew,
Nobody could, can or ever will, write anything like Flaubert would have. The CSM's writer probably had Salammbo in mind.

She, or maybe he, should have said "might have". "Would have" is ridiculous and suggests the writer was probably recruited for the wrong reasons. As many people are of course. Politicians being the most obvious exception.
sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 12:01 pm
Continuing my recent "books nobody's heard of" trend, I just read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Better than I expected. (Expectations were low.) Also expected to be flayed in Book Club for suggesting it, and was pleasantly surprised that people liked it.
Irishk

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 12:32 pm
@sozobe,
Some Stieg Larsson trivia: He was the second bestselling author in the world 2008.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 12:52 pm
My sister got me started on the Jack Reacher series by
Lee Child, an Englishman who knows the States pretty well.

It's a John D McDonald for the new millennium. Travis McGee post 9/11

The jacket blurb says: "Women want to be him and men want to be with hi....wait!
Men want to be him and women want to be with him!"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 01:38 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

She, or maybe he, should have said "might have". "Would have" is ridiculous and suggests the writer was probably recruited for the wrong reasons.

For once we are in total agreement, Spendi.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 04:39 pm
@sozobe,
Let me suggest you stay away from the Swedish film if you really like the book. The film loses much of its political and anticapitalistic bite.
chai2

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 04:42 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Continuing my recent "books nobody's heard of" trend, I just read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Better than I expected. (Expectations were low.) Also expected to be flayed in Book Club for suggesting it, and was pleasantly surprised that people liked it.

I'm reading the Girl Who Played With Fire.

Really enjoying it, I know it's the 2nd book, but it doesn't hurt the story.

I'll read the first one as soon as I can, or the third.

That "Girl" is super cool!

Irishk

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 05:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
I just finished the third book in the series and really enjoyed it. I've only seen the movie for the first one and I think you're right. I'm wondering if the American versions will be any better, though. Might have to take a peek for comparison purposes.
0 Replies