What BOOK are you reading right now?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:54 pm
@msolga,
I liked Suitable Boy too, and oddly it was a faster read than it might seem when one first hefts the book..
plainoldme

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:44 am
When I was in grad school working on Medieval Irish texts, the end of each semester always meant an immersion in contemporary novels. At the time, I was a member of a terrific book group, so I would catch up on the reading for the group. The first book went down easily and so did the second. Depending upon the time of year and the thickness of the books, there generally would be a third. Sometimes, there was a fourth. The thing was that I was always glad to return to the Middle Ages. The 20th C wore out its welcome.

I haven't had much time for reading in recent years. And I spend too much time on sudoku and the internet. I would love to find another book group, however, that is as good as the one I had been in for so many years. I can no longer participate because I live 100 miles away.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:03 pm
@panzade,
I hope you enjoy it panzade. I think Judt intended it to be the definitive history of the postwar period. It has the virtues, and defects of such a work - comprehensive, detailed, notes and footnotes, etc. Still, by my lights a very good read, and one that puts recent events into an understandable context.

Now I'm reading something a bit easier, but equally pleasurable, "The Middle Sea" by John Norwich. It is a history of the Mediterranean Sea area from ancient Greece & Egypt to WWI. Scholarly, but very readable. Though it has the same focus of Braudel's "Mediterranean", it omits most of the often tedious detail of the "annalist" histories and focuses instead on the often colorful characters who figure so prominently in the stories.
panzade

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:06 pm
@georgeob1,
The library called. The book arrived. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I'll let you know how it reads
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 08:00 pm
@georgeob1,
The Middle Sea sounds like a book for me. I have Braudel's Mediterranean on my to-read stack.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:54 pm
I am reading and enjoying Christopher Moore's
http://z.about.com/d/bestsellers/1/0/v/7/-/-/fool.jpg
Irrerverent and bawdy
panzade

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:57 pm
@GoshisDead,
Could you be more specific?...lol
Welcome to the book club
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:00 pm
@GoshisDead,
moore is one of those authors i keep meaning to try ever since someone said "if you liked gaiman & pratchetts "good omens", you'll like moore"

one of these days i'll check him out
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:53 pm
I am on the second day of reading ohn Scalzi's Old Man's War.

Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review.

Though a lot of SF writers are more or less efficiently continuing the tradition of Robert A. Heinlein, Scalzi's astonishingly proficient first novel reads like an original work by the late grand master. Seventy-five-year-old John Perry joins the Colonial Defense Force because he has nothing to keep him on Earth. Suddenly installed in a better-than-new young body, he begins developing loyalty toward his comrades in arms as they battle aliens for habitable planets in a crowded galaxy. As bloody combat experiences pile up, Perry begins wondering whether the slaughter is justified; in short, is being a warrior really a good thing, let alone being human? The definition of "human" keeps expanding as Perry is pushed through a series of mind-stretching revelations. The story obviously resembles such novels as Starship Trooper and Time Enough for Love, but Scalzi is not just recycling classic Heinlein. He's working out new twists, variations that startle even as they satisfy. The novel's tone is right on target, too""sentimentality balanced by hardheaded calculation, know-it-all smugness moderated by innocent wonder. This virtuoso debut pays tribute to SF's past while showing that well-worn tropes still can have real zip when they're approached with ingenuity.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc.

And dear dyslexia, please forgive me when I openly confess that I have co-opted your visage and mentally casted you into the John Perry lead.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
am I flattered or offended? I'm somewhat ambivalent re Heinlein.
Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:06 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
am I flattered or offended? I'm somewhat ambivalent re Heinlein.

Your probably flattered. Heinlein is a great writer; it's his figures who tend to be douchebags. That includes the figure "Robert Heinlein" in his autobiographical texts. (Expanded Universe reads as if it had been written by Dick Cheney.)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 06:25 pm
@dyslexia,
You should be flattered as you will have volunteered to fight aliens in far off star systems (literarily speaking).

And Scalzi is so far damn good writer.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:13 pm
Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
by -Robert Wittman

Half-way through and it's really good, especially if you like smart detective work and art.
(Osso, you would really enjoy this)

From Amazon:
Quote:
In Priceless, Robert K. Wittman, the founder of the FBI's Art Crime Team, pulls back the curtain on his remarkable career for the first time, offering a real-life international thriller to rival The Thomas Crown Affair.

Rising from humble roots as the son of an antique dealer, Wittman built a twenty-year career that was nothing short of extraordinary. He went undercover, usually unarmed, to catch art thieves, scammers, and black market traders in Paris and Philadelphia, Rio and Santa Fe, Miami and Madrid.

In this page-turning memoir, Wittman fascinates with the stories behind his recoveries of priceless art and antiquities: The golden armor of an ancient Peruvian warrior king. The Rodin sculpture that inspired the Impressionist movement. The headdress Geronimo wore at his final Pow-Wow. The rare Civil War battle flag carried into battle by one of the nation's first African-American regiments.

The breadth of Wittman's exploits is unmatched: He traveled the world to rescue paintings by Rockwell and Rembrandt, Pissarro, Monet and Picasso, often working undercover overseas at the whim of foreign governments. Closer to home, he recovered an original copy of the Bill of Rights and cracked the scam that rocked the PBS series Antiques Roadshow.

By the FBI's accounting, Wittman saved hundreds of millions of dollars worth of art and antiquities. He says the statistic isn't important. After all, who's to say what is worth more --a Rembrandt self-portrait or an American flag carried into battle? They're both priceless.

The art thieves and scammers Wittman caught run the gamut from rich to poor, smart to foolish, organized criminals to desperate loners. The smuggler who brought him a looted 6th-century treasure turned out to be a high-ranking diplomat. The appraiser who stole countless heirlooms from war heroes' descendants was a slick, aristocratic con man. The museum janitor who made off with locks of George Washington's hair just wanted to make a few extra bucks, figuring no one would miss what he'd filched.

In his final case, Wittman called on every bit of knowledge and experience in his arsenal to take on his greatest challenge: working undercover to track the vicious criminals behind what might be the most audacious art theft of all.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:16 pm
@Green Witch,
I bet I would. I had read a review of it a few weeks ago.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:26 pm
I'm almost finished with Jason Goodwin's The Bellini Card.

Highly recommend this and his other works The Jannisary Tree and The Snake Stone if you appreciate mysteries with historical settings.

Goodwin lived in Istanbul for a number of years and his love and facination for the city is evident in his books.

The complexity of the mysteries he sets for his protaganist, the 19th century palace eunuch Yashim is at a high level, and the cast of characters accompanying Yashim (including regulars like the the Polish ambassador to the Ottoman Sultan, Stanilaw Palewski) are delightful.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm going to check into those - I would probably like them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Speaking of Suitable Boy, which I was a while back, I also liked another thick book set in India, Sacred Games, by Vikram Chandra.

Here's Amazon's review (Valerie Ryan), posting this being easier than my trying to piece the bits of my thoughts on it together as I read it quite a while ago -

"Sacred Games is a novel as big, ambitious, multi-layered, contradictory, funny, sad, scary, violent, tender, complex, and irresistible as India itself. Steep yourself in this story, enjoy the delicious masala Chandra has created, and you will have an idea of how the country manages to hang together despite age-old hatreds, hundreds of dialects, different religious practices, the caste system, and corruption everywhere. The Game keeps it afloat.
There are more than a half-dozen subplots to be enjoyed, but the main events take place between Inspector Sartaj Singh, a Sikh member of the Mumbai police force, and Ganesh Gaitonde, the most wanted gangster in India. It is no accident that Ganesh is named for the Hindu god of success, the elephant god much revered by Hindus everywhere. By the world's standards he has made a huge success of his life: he has everything he wants. But soon after the novel begins he is holed up in a bomb shelter from which there is no escape, and Sartaj is right outside the door. Ganesh and Sartaj trade barbs, discuss the meaning of good and evil, hold desultory conversations alternating with heated exchanges, and, finally, Singh bulldozes the building to the ground. He finds Ganesh dead of a gunshot wound, and an unknown woman dead in the bunker along with him.

How did it come to this? Of course, Singh has wanted to capture this prize for years, but why now and why in this way? The chapters that follow tell both their stories, but especially chronicle Gaitonde's rise to power. He is a clever devil, to be sure, and his tales are as captivating as those of Scheherezade. Like her he spins them out one by one and often saves part of the story for the reader--or Sartaj--to figure out. He is involved in every racket in India, corrupt to the core, but even he is afraid of Swami Shridlar Shukla, his Hindu guru and adviser. In the story Gaitonde shares with Singh and countless other characters, Vikram Chandra has written a fabulous tale of treachery, a thriller, and a tour of the mean streets of India, complete with street slang." Valerie Ryan
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:14 pm
@GoshisDead,
I have that book on my shelf, and I am looking forward to picking it up. I have read almost all of Moore's work. My favorite is probably "A Dirty Job." It was rather dark and funny. It was also quite mischievous.

I am currently reading, The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break by Steven Sherrill. It shows that Sherrill is a poet--this is his first novel--which seems to do the book favors. The book puts a smile on my face, and makes me laugh from time to time.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0312308922.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
GoshisDead

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:26 pm
@Theaetetus,
A dirty Job is Moore's best.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:25 pm
I finally finished John Updike's Rabbit Is Rich. It is the third book in a series of three, and I hadn't read the first two, thus missing some context as I started it - as I mentioned earlier. I gradually began to appreciate the pagefull's of Rabbit thinking to himself in stream of consciousness, all very believable, and the pagefull's or at least multiple paragraph's at a time of description of the environment he is going through at any given moment. It was slow going, as I would tend to drift off from Rabbit's state of mind into my own dream state, either mulling my own thoughts or actually going to sleep.

I wouldn't recommend it easily to others, but I ended up enjoying the ride.

Now I'm sixty pages into Andre Dubus III's House of Sand and Fog. I'm easily pulled into the story; we'll see.