What BOOK are you reading right now?

roger

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 02:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
The only thing of his that I cared for was The Green Mile.

I slogged through several others. Neat ideas, but he seemed to have trouble moving a story along.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 02:56 pm
MA, Panzade

Oh, that Wilson.....<<blush>>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 03:15 pm
Just finished a huge honking Nora Roberts (in a day) for my book club.

Gah.

The fact that I went through a whole lotta Kleenex doesn't negate the gah.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 03:18 pm
@Kara,
Kara, did you like this book? Can you tell me more?
Kara

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 03:37 pm
@littlek,
Littlek, you mean Taqwacores?

Or Beat the Reaper?

Taqwacores is very unusual. I haven't finished it; I will read a chapter and then set it aside for a week or two. It is "young" in its energy and patois. The Guardian comments: "The Hunter S. Thompson of Islamic literature."

It is a learning experience, bigtime. This is a Muslim punk house in Buffalo, NY, inhabited by burqa-wearing "riot grrls," mohawked Sufis, straightedge Sunnis, gay Muslims, drunk Muslims, and feminists, etc....their delapidated house has a hole smashed in the wall to indicate the direction of Mecca. During the first few pages, a resident uses a pizza box as a prayer rug.

The backpiece says that it was originally published by the author on photocopiers and spiral-bound by hand...has since been published in foreign translations, become the basis for two films, and is taught in various colleges and universities as a "Catcher in the Rye for young Muslims."

Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell is great fun, by turns hilarious and horrifying. I read it through in a few days. It is the story of a former mafia-involved guy who entered witness protection and became a doctor. The author wrote this book during the last year of med school and residency to keep himself sane. It's a first novel. I hope he gives up the hospital for writing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 04:02 pm
Kara, I had meant Taquacore. Interesting take. How much is fiction and how much is non-fiction?
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 04:14 pm
Here's one review:
http://www.nostalgiaforinfinity.com/?p=46

This, from an Amazon review:

By Sabah Al-Noor - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Taqwacores: A Novel (Paperback)
WOW. This is one of the most brilliant books i've ever read! Who would have thought that two things like Islam and Punk rock could ever overlap, let alone be combined in such a genius way. From the radical feminist in full burqa(her burqa is covered with band patches!), to the straightedge punk with Qur'an verses tattooed on him, to the mohawked drunk punk who plays the call to prayer on electric guitar from the roof of the house...this book is just genius in every detail! The only problem i can imagine is that he uses A LOT of arabic terms and Islamic references which may be hard to understand if you don't have background knowledge about Islam. But READ IT ANYWAY! Find somebody you can ask if you need the terms defined for you. This book is worth the time! (p.s.the word "fasiq" means "pervert") Not exactly for the conservative thinker...BEWARE, you will need to think outside the box on this one. Though the end result is something that is unexplainably...blasphemously reverent, dogma-smashingly righteous...what can one say?...allahu akbar!

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 04:35 pm
@Kara,
Thanks Kara
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 03:25 pm
We have an annual (or maybe semi-annual) book fair in our school district. A local (great) bookstore comes in and sets up and teachers/students can purchase books. I am a ridiculous bookophile. I got the latest Terry Pratchett novel (Nation) and a couple books for my classroom library. Also, I bought a palm-sized plastic volcano, that you can fill and make erupt for, for my nephew.
panzade

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 04:39 pm
@littlek,
you're so cute
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 05:18 pm
Let's hope some of my enthusiasm rubs off on my students.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 05:21 pm
@littlek,
i've thought for years about getting into prachett, but i wonder now if it's too late

loved pratchett and gaimans collaboration Good Omens

but discworld seems so daunting
littlek

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 05:39 pm
@djjd62,
It's never too late! Jump right in.

I recommend you keep a list of the novels you've read in the series if after the first one you think you'll read more. I have bought the same book more than once. I started checking off the ones I've read on a list of his publications. He's got 50 in the Discworld series. I've read 29.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 07:23 am
Finished I, Claudius. I love that book.

Starting
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ooNY1CnKPo8/RpJ0c7ZxgNI/AAAAAAAAAms/p99tozjYHSo/s320/book.jpg
Guests of the Sheik
Kara

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 07:29 am
@George,
George, that sounds interesting. Is it paperback?

I am just finishing Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth. Excellent.
George

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 07:59 am
@Kara,
Quote:
George, that sounds interesting. Is it paperback?

Yes, it is.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 08:30 am
@George,
George wrote:
Finished I, Claudius. I love that book.

agree

cleaning up the book shelves the other day, came across my copies of "i, claudius" and "claudius the god", put them in my to read (again) pile
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:25 am
Just started Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. For some reason I thought I had read it before, but apparantly not. Must have always remembered the Disney movie.
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:37 am
@Aldistar,
another one of my faves

i also love

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0517189208.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Annotated Alice by Martin Gardner a work incorporating the text of Lewis Carroll's major tales: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass as well as the original illustrations by John Tenniel. It has extensive annotations explaining the contemporary references (including the Victorian poems that Carroll parodies), mathematical concepts, wordplay, and Victorian traditions (such as the snap-dragons) featured in the two books.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 11:41 am
the Tao of Pooh
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r17/rachellemg/pooh.jpg
0 Replies